• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legendary gets the Dune movie and TV rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zophar

A high budget miniseries or television season is the best way to adapt Dune to film, IMO. Can't be done successfully in three hours, but two movies doesn't feel right either.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
One of my favorite scifi stories and a seminal work of speculative fiction any fan of the genre should read. Also a written work of art that is incredibly difficult to adapt to movie or TV do to the fact large sections of the story focus on the internal turmoil and thoughts of the main characters and the overall incredibly strange and "alien" world and society that has been set up.

More so I'm more curious how the handle many aspects of the story and with how relevant it is today, maybe even more so with the current world events and political climate. Huge galaxy spanning empire that runs on a mind expanding drug that allows from everything to longer lives to traveling the depths of space faster than light and puts a new ruling House in charge of a planet of Buddhist Muslims who eventually fight back against the cruel injustices their people are subjected to and rally around a literal messiah figure.

This comes with all its own baggage namely the fact its white savior trope taken to the next level.

Awesome! Looking forward to a new film of it. I think it will fit better in a movie then a series, despite the scope being pretty big.

Based on what I know of Legendary movies I expect a hollow shell of a Dune film with a passing resemblance to the source material and completely over the top CGI sequences. Basically I'm going to err more on the side of it being a Wrath of the Titans-tier movie. If it surprises me, great, but consider my expectations lowered.

If Hack Snyder goes anywhere near this I'm rioting.

Based on what I know of Legendary movies I expect a hollow shell of a Dune film with a passing resemblance to the source material and completely over the top CGI sequences. Basically I'm going to err more on the side of it being a Wrath of the Titans-tier movie. If it surprises me, great, but consider my expectations lowered.

This.

Although on the plus side, since its Chinese owned now maybe all the Fremen will be played by Chinese actors? Fits with them being Zensunni after all.

A high budget miniseries or television season is the best way to adapt Dune to film, IMO. Can't be done successfully in three hours, but two movies doesn't feel right either.

What would be better, an HBO miniseries, or a film trilogy? And if adapted for the big screen, what compromises would have to be made in order to make it successful? And what mold would you see as being the most effective? Alot of the changes made to LOTR's rubbed die hard fans the wrong way, but it was a successful balancing act. Could the same be done with Dune, or is it too esoteric to adapt faithfully? Would it end up having to be like Dexter. where it has to veer off into uncharted territory in order to be profitable?

Zophar

What would be better, an HBO miniseries, or a film trilogy? And if adapted for the big screen, what compromises would have to be made in order to make it successful? And what mold would you see as being the most effective? Alot of the changes made to LOTR's rubbed die hard fans the wrong way, but it was a successful balancing act. Could the same be done with Dune, or is it too esoteric to adapt faithfully? Would it end up having to be like Dexter. where it has to veer off into uncharted territory in order to be profitable?

I just don't think there's enough that happens in the book to justify three movies, and also there isn't a very clear, natural way to divide the story into three equitable chapters, like LOTR had. The progression of the plot just doesn't lend itself comfortably to breaking it down into three evenly-long films.

You could *maybe* do it splitting at
Leto's death/Harkonnen invasion
and then
when Paul drinks the water of life
before a third installment, but you'd hit a Hobbit prequels situation pretty fast with a shit ton of filler and padding, especially in the third movie. Even the Sci-Fi miniseries struggled with this a bit, IMO.

Breads

Banned

I wish there was a good answer.

As much as I love Dune and wish we had a more on script version of the first book on film I don't see it having mass appeal. Not questioning the audience reaction to it, I'm sure it will do fine if it actually came out, I'm questioning the thought process behind the people who would actually decide to invest in it. I don't see a way of convincing them in give it the time and talent it needs to be a good adaptation.

HStallion

I know someone mentioned Dennis Villanue but I think David Cronenberg could knock an adaptation of Dune out of the park given the time and money to really develop and film it properly.

HStallion

I can die a happy man if this were to happen.

Most of the people he was supposed to make the movie with have been dead a long time. It never had a serious chance of happening decades ago and even less of a chance in this day and age. Unless Elon Musk goes insane and just gives him 100 million dollars to film it.

I know someone mentioned Dennis Villanue but I think David Cronenberg could knock an adaptation of Dune out of the park given the time and money to really develop and film it properly.

For God's sake, no. We already had David Lynch take a stab at it and fail miserably. I DO NOT want another adaptation that is weird for the sake being weird. The book already gets trippy enough, we don't need heart plugs, guild navigators that look like giant sperm, and antivenom you have to get by milking a cat.

HStallion

For God's sake, no. We already had David Lynch take a stab at it and fail miserably. I DO NOT want another adaptation that is weird for the sake being weird. The book already gets trippy enough, we don't need heart plugs, guild navigators that look like giant sperm, and antivenom you have to get by milking a cat.

Cronenberg hasn't made his weird body horror movies in a long long time and has basically said he's moved on from those. I mention him because he's become a great director on so many levels and does have a history of handling crazy films very well.

nachum00

Cronenberg hasn't made his weird body horror movies in a long long time and has basically said he's moved on from those. I mention him because he's become a great director on so many levels and does have a history of handling crazy films very well.
No way man. A Dangerous Method is weird as fuck. /s

But David Lynch's version is great.

Also, I think Warhammer 40k took everything great about Dune and made it a million times better.

shira

Christopher Nolan please.

not exactly
bwBcnOw.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom