• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[UK] MCV: Black Friday is the worst thing to happen to retail

Chris1

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/black-friday-is-the-worst-thing-to-happen-to-retail/0175821

Retailers say that Black Friday is a major factor in the UK software market being down, with the sales event being detrimental to sales of new releases. This is due to consumers holding off spending until Black Friday. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, Watch Dogs 2 and Titanfall 2 have been among the games that have underperformed in their first weeks on shelves.

One source goes as far as to say that publishers may think again about launching new games during this period. But apparently even the massive discounts at retail seen during Black Friday won’t help the market.

“The market cannot turn around now. Pre-orders and the first couple of weeks sales are enormously important to both publishers and retailers but there has been some appalling results this year due to Black Friday, and customers waiting to see if the games are broken or if the scores are decent,” said one retail source.

“It’s hard to see why publishers would release games in November going forward. Black Friday is the worst thing to happen to UK retail.”

Another retail source added: “Judging by the drop off we have seen in trade in the run up to Black Friday, I suspect customers have held off on key purchases. This should make the event itself larger than 2015, but I’m not convinced that the month as a whole will benefit. The following weeks were slightly subdued as consumers had no doubt spent much of their disposable income.“

(Black Friday is a recent thing in the UK, it only started a couple of years ago)

As I said in the other topic, while I'm sure it's a factor in these surprisingly low sales, there's more to it than just people hanging on for Black Friday (which is usually shit anyway IMO). For instance, BF sales wouldn't explain the very poor launches for Deus Ex and Gears of War just a few months back.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Black Friday shouldn't be a thing in the UK, period.

Thanksgiving is an American tradition and without that cultural connection its just a random day in November.

RodzTF

It may be a factor, but a rather small one IMO.

Not once did I not purchase a game or hold back because I was 'waiting for Black Friday'.

Com_Raven

Not once did I not purchase a game or hold back because I was 'waiting for Black Friday'.

But- you are also the kind of hardcore gamer that posts on Neogaf. I am sure that waiting for Black Friday is a factor among the more casual crowd/ parents etc, which naturally gravitate to the biggest and most well-known names like Call of Duty, Battlefield etc.

But, it is of course not the only reason for many games having disappointing early sales this Fall.

Black Friday shouldn't be a thing in the UK, period.

Thanksgiving is an American tradition and without that cultural connection its just a random day in November.

That's way too late, it's a thing worldwide now.

I did, at least for two years in a row. Not brand new games like the ones mentioned though.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Pokémon, which launched closer to black Friday than any of the other games (literally one day ago in the UK). I suspect there won't be any decline from ORAS and XY.

It's hard to tell whether black Friday had a major impact or not on the sales of major AAA games when those launched. If it were a major factor wouldn't there have been evidence to suggest so during previous years' Black Fridays or am I missing something?

rrs

maybe it's the fact there was 5 zillion AAAA games released in a short period of time leading to people having to make a choice on what one to get

Audioboxer

What comes around goes around. Ubisoft with their 8,000 pre-order editions and pre-order exclusives and Activision gating a remaster of an old game with a purchase of a new game can do a bolt.

Then GAME can eat one too for their pre-owned market being £1 less than already shitty RRP prices.

Whenever you cry about consumers you can bet there is 5x more things you are doing wrong before whining about those spending their money on your shit.

danowat

Banned
What's the problem from a consumer standpoint?

Twofold.

1) Many retailers deliberately inflate prices of certain items in preceeding months / weeks to make them look favourable with discounts (they aren't)

2) Brits are fucking idiots when it comes to sales, it's carnage.

I don't think that's true. For one, Black Friday deals in EU/UK are garbage.

They're adopting the name from US to get people to buy stuff but don't actually offer the same types of deals, especially for games. It's just dumb and I wish it would stop.
It's all just marketing fluff without any willingness to actually do meaningful discounts.

jelly

Not really, they don't have to cut prices for Black Friday. Sales are poor so they cut prices, that's all there is to it, Black Friday or not.

Maybe the UK retail market is declining? Seemed improbable a couple years ago but the evidence is there.

Bit like how Premier League football viewing figures are significantly down in the UK and US. No-one wants to believe the EPL bubble is about to burst.

danowat

Banned
Maybe the UK retail market is declining? Seemed improbable a couple years ago but the evidence is there.

Bit like how Premier League football viewing figures are significantly down in the UK and US. No-one wants to believe the EPL bubble is about to burst.

It's going to get much worse, what till inflation starts to rise next year.

Audioboxer

Probably because Sky and BT spend absolutely insane money for football rights and then need to, or want to, bend over paying customers with insane price increases. Considering a large demographic is working class families it's no wonder Sky Football viewing numbers might drop.

You can't even watch the one team you support without subscribing to 5 different packages because Sky keep introducing new sports channels and spacing out games over each one.

LordRaptor

"Black Friday is the worst thing that has happened to us" say the people who pushed hard to make Black Friday a thing

However, If the games you're buying happen to be a christmas gift for somebody else you're absolutely going to hold off and see if you can get them at a better price. There's no reason not to wait and it usually pays.

AHA-Lambda

but there has been some appalling results this year due to Black Friday, and customers waiting to see if the games are broken or if the scores are decent,” said one retail source.

God, how dare they!!

Chris1

"Black Friday is the worst thing that has happened to us" say the people who pushed hard to make Black Friday a thing

To be fair it was ASDA that brought it over & made it big in the first place, and they no longer take part in it (though that was cause of fighting over TV's not sales tanking). Other retailers kinda need to join the party or they end up losing potential sales.

Quoting myself from the PAL thread here

OléGunner;225375479 said:
Thanks for the quotes from MCV Bruno.

Black Friday growing in significance in the UK the last 5 years was always surely going to have this sort of effect in hind sight, especially as there are more price conscious consumers facing wage stagnation for a long while.

Interesting that November launches are suggested to be dropped by publishers, but I still think high quality games can do well during the Xmas period. Some releases this year were just too tight at the end of Oct and early Nov. Maybe early December and January releases should be pursued more like Dying Light even though the latter especially is when retailers have end of year financials and prefer to have as little stock as possible.

What's not in doubt is that franchise fatigue is too real. This holiday has been full of sequels that don't interest the public. One only has to look at NMS immense UK launch to see that consumers are starving for something bold and fresh.

A couple new titles early next year like Horizon ZD and RE7 (substantial formula switch) will hopefully reignite some consumer interest in new software.

dealer-

Twofold.

1) Many retailers deliberately inflate prices of certain items in preceeding months / weeks to make them look favourable with discounts (they aren't)

2) Brits are fucking idiots when it comes to sales, it's carnage.

Yeah, that can be a problem but it's not that hard to identify the deals that are actually good value.

As for the second point, nobody gave a shit last year, most of the shops did a brisk trade nothing more. I don't think people are as interested compared to 2/3 years ago.

ZeroX03

Banned
Watch Dogs 2 got a Black Friday discount on PSN only 9 days after release and can be found physically for already 30%+ off. You'd have to be an idiot to buy games at launch around this time.
I totally did lol

danowat

Banned
As for the second point, nobody gave a shit last year, most of the shops did a brisk trade nothing more. I don't think people are as interested compared to 2/3 years ago.

If that is indeed the case, then the media can stop ramming it down our throats.

Taker666

The Black Friday event has turned to shit this year in the UK. It's now pretty poor deals spread over two weeks as opposed to one day of decent offers.

If the UK is going to do it then just copy the US format or don't bother.

brinstar

Watch Dogs 2 got a Black Friday discount on PSN only 9 days after release and can be found physically for already 30%+ off. You'd have to be an idiot to buy games at launch around this time.
I totally did lol

It's definitely why I stopped buying AAA PS4 games at launch. They drop in price quick and I can find out if the game is actually good or riddled with bugs and glitches and shit.

Jackpot

Banned
I hate Black Friday. Whilst other sales may use superficial covers of "love your family by buying them stuff", Black Friday relies solely on essentially baiting customers until they're in an irrational frenzy.

I hate Black Friday. Whilst other sales may use superficial covers of "love your family by buying them stuff", Black Friday relies solely on essentially baiting customers until they're in an irrational frenzy.

Black Friday relies solely on getting rid of their old stock to make way for new, no matter what marketing scheme they use.

dealer-

If that is indeed the case, then the media can stop ramming it down our throats.

Yeah it was ridiculous that one year when people were fighting over Blaupunkt TVs in Asda.

I think its more heavily skewed to online sales now so it looks like they keep pushing it for a while yet.

liquidtmd

Banned
Unfortunately as others have mentioned, this gen in particular has seen variable drops on at least 60% of all titles within 4 weeks.

It's got to the point I absolutely don't blame people holding off.

Meia

So it's all about Black Friday, huh? Nothing to do with too many FPS being released at once, one game having a very poor beta showing with the community, and the other being a sequel to a game that wasn't received very well after marketing shenanigans huh? :p

That some are trying to pin the blame on consumers being cheap is kind of laughable. I'm sure once sales are in(including the black friday numbers), all of those under performing gems will be right back where they should be sales-wise huh?

Top Bottom