• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sennheiser HD 598 Cs on sale for $99 @ Amazon

The Lamp

Should I impulse buy? How is the bass?

I have 595s open ear but it's too easy for everyone else to hear my music so I wouldn't mind some better closed ones.

LQX

I didn't even know the 598 had a closed back version.

How do they compare to the open 598? I have those, but they're falling apart after 5.5 years..

Amazon I assume?

From the reviews it seems to not have as wide of a sound-stage but has more bass which for some is the only thing the 598 was really lacking.

Should I impulse buy? How is the bass?

I have 595s open ear but it's too easy for everyone else to hear my music so I wouldn't mind some better closed ones.

More bass.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
So, as far as gaming goes, are these better than the HyperX Cloud II Gaming Headset?

I'm assuming so, but the HyperX advertises "7.1 surround sound" which I was curious to try out. I don't need for a mic to be included so that isn't a problem.

Also, do I need an amp for these?

So, as far as gaming goes, are these better than the HyperX Cloud II Gaming Headset?

I'm assuming so, but the HyperX advertises "7.1 surround sound" which I was curious to try out. I don't care for the mic be includikg so that isn't a problem.

Also, do I need a amp for these?
No amp, they have very low impedance.

I don't know if it'll be better as a gaming headset, especially the mic, but it'll likely be much better for everything else :)
Bought. That price just seems too good.

Any recommendations on an affordable amp for this?
At 23 ohms, you can drive this with anything. No amp needed.

Parallacs

I've had my 555s for eight years. Sennheiser is a great brand and they are built like tanks.

That said, I would wait for a deal on open ones. I really think it sounds and feels a lot better to be open and the sound leak is hardly noticeable to people around me.

Corpekata

Banned

I'm assuming so, but the HyperX advertises "7.1 surround sound" which I was curious to try out. I don't need for a mic to be included so that isn't a problem.

Also, do I need an amp for these?

Well, they're dedicated headphones from one of the best regarded companies versus a headset, which is usually a notable gulf in sound quality.

If sound quality is important to you, typically a pair of headphones plus an attached mic / standalone mic is your better option.

Arulan

Well, they're dedicated headphones from one of the best regarded companies versus a headset, which is usually a notable gulf in sound quality.

If sound quality is important to you, typically a pair of headphones plus an attached mic / standalone mic is your better option.

Give the Hyper X Cloud line some credit, they're at least based on real headphones, which already puts them above other headsets.

kingston_hyperx_cloud_headset_comparison_ndtv.jpg

That being said, you should buy a good pair of headphones and a separate mic. I usually recommend the HD 598s for first-time buyers as they're open, relatively cheap, and don't require an amp.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Thanks guys for the the feedback!

Out of curiosity, would the open back version of these be better for gaming at home, or is the difference just a matter of preference?

Ferr986

Mind you, for gaming the regular 598 are better simply because open cans are better for it.

This one is more suited for music, especially some genres. Although I'll still take a good close can that they shit they try to sell you with those gaming headsets.

Thanks guys for the the feedback!

Out of curiosity, would the open back version of these be better for gaming at home, or is the difference just a matter of preference?
Well, closed are usually less airy and the soundstage is not as great. But on these, the sound is much tighter than the open 598 and supposedly the bass is a big improvement too.

Overall; matter of preference.

And you can't go wrong at this price!

Ferr986

Is this pair good for gaming or music on the train? Or both?

IMO they're too big for using them on the go but that's just my preference.

They're closed cans, that means it's soundstage is more narrow (less positioning). That makes them not as good for gaming (again, even with the narrow soundstage the sound quality will be better than the shitty gaming headphones). At the same time, being closed makes them not leak sound to the outside, and have a more pronounced bass (don't worry, this doesn't mean shitty bloated bass like some Beats cans) making them more suited for music.

I only tried the regular 598, not this Cs version, so I can't comment more than this :/

Gandie

IMO they're too big for using them on the go but that's just my preference.

They're closed cans, that means it's soundstage is more narrow (less positioning). That makes them not as good for gaming (again, even with the narrow soundstage the sound quality will be better than the shitty gaming headphones). At the same time, being closed makes them not leak sound to the outside, and have a more pronounced bass (don't worry, this doesn't mean shitty bloated bass like some Beats cans) making them more suited for music.

I only tried the regular 598, not this Cs version, so I can't comment more than this :/

Thanks. Ordered a pair. Should be here by tomorrow

Auctopus

£89 in the UK.

Bought, thanks man (and OP). I love the HD series and used to have a pair of HD 380s. I now have a pair of 280s but miss the feel of the 380s. These seem to be a similar shape.

Over 50% off is seems to be a great deal.

Please tell me they're shit so I can pass up

My experience with the HD series ~£100 has been excellent. These are usually £200 so I'm expecting good things.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Bought, thanks OP. I had HD 595 cans but I bought the closed version in anticipation of the Switch :) I will use it on the train.

Generally speaking: these are the new closed version of a Legendary headphone. The HD598 has been around for 6 years or so, and they're still hugely popular. They come with a mic, unlike the open 598, making them instantly gaming-ready.

On Head-Fi (GAF for audio nerds), consensus is that while soundstage is naturally somewhat diminished because of their closed back nature, everything else is way tighter than the open 598. Bass, the 598's weakest point, is hugely improved.

If you're looking for a new pair for music/movies/gaming, this is a no-brainer.

Is this pair good for gaming or music on the train? Or both?
Yes! Yes! But they might be big for travel, if that's something you're worried about.
So are they these just 558s?
No!

Sorry, gonna have to go #NotAllClosedCans on you here. Soundstage won't be open 598 level, but they can still be great for gaming. Besides, I think a tight bass is just as important for movies/gaming as soundstage is.

I'd like to know that too. Are there any advantages to using these headphones with Ps4 over a 2.1 Soundbar?

Yes. You can't wear a soundbar on your head. Also, positioning (where stuff is in relation to the player) will be better.

Elixist

this quote from amazon guy says it all really, "At times, they actually made me feel physically off-balance, as the music permeated me so completely and my external sound environment was shut out so entirely" i guess i need these, welp.

Ferr986

Sorry, gonna have to go #NotAllClosedCans on you here. Soundstage won't be open 598 level, but they can still be great for gaming. Besides, I think a tight bass is just as important for movies/gaming as soundstage is.

Well, yes, I kcan agree with it too.

At the end, this is like music, some genres benefit more than others. Open cans are more important IMO with games like shooters, especially in multiplayer games, while for other kind of games is not as important. And preferences plays a huge factor too.

I, for example, play with the ATH M50. These cans has tiny soundstage, (and also more neutral sound), but going deep into a chalice dungeon in Bloodborne is still a frightering experience when you hear weird sounds coming from different spots :)

Is there any point in getting these if you have no plans in buying an amp? I don't care about the mic at all, as I've literally thrown it away on my Hypers.

Edit: nevermind

CSX

On Head-Fi (GAF for audio nerds), consensus is that while soundstage is naturally somewhat diminished because of their closed back nature, everything else is way tighter than the open 598. Bass, the 598's weakest point, is hugely improved.

As long as I can tell easily if some sound is coming from the left, right, or behind me, then these headphones are a goddam steal.

I actually don't find the open-backs to be lacking in bass, so I'd rather have better soundstage than more bass. That being said, that's a great price. Just get an antlion mod mic V4 and you've got a headset that is pretty much fantastic in every way.
No, not lacking. I thought bass was still great on the open-back HD598. But bass is still the weakest point, especially subbass. Just goes to show how good everything else is.

Ah, thanks. I caught it once I read up. The initial surprise of the deal made me forget how to read lol

Haha, np man, I don't blame you :)

They're for $109.99 CAD on amazon canada as well.

Yes, and 89 pounds on Amazon UK and 99 euros on Amazon DE!

masterkajo

They do sound good and I am about to order them (amazon.de has the same deal). But do they really come with a microphone? I couldn't find anything on the product page and it would be pretty practical if I don't' have to get a seperate microphone.

They do sound good and I am about to order them (amazon.de has the same deal). But do they really come with a microphone? I couldn't find anything on the product page and it would be pretty practical if I don't' have to get a seperate microphone.

7ce57f35-f788-490f-97d9-a8565702ae35.jpg._CB277783263__SL300__.jpg

The HD 598 Cs comes with two detachable cables: a 3m cable with a 6.3-mm jack for a home entertainment system and a 1.2m cable with a 3.5mm jack featuring a one-button remote with mic for controlling music and taking phone calls.

Hmm...

I actually need two new pairs of headphones, one for home enjoyment (I want open-ear for home) and one closed pair for work (We're allowed to listen to music at work, but I obviously don't want any leakage)

Believe it or not, for home, I'd actually strongly been considering the 598 open versions.

99 might be a bit much for what I wanted for work....but this deal, and the exact model I was looking for (Only closed instead of open)....man, I'm seriously tempted right now.

Regardless of what I decide, thanks for the heads up OP.

Edit : LOL, thought about it for 5 minutes and ordered. I spend 40 hours a week at work, usually with a TON of downtime, this is more than worth it. I'll probably go higher than the 598's when I finally decide on my home set-up but these are perfect for the job.

Vitor711

How do these compare to the HD280 pro? I have a pair of those and, whilst the sound quality is great, there's no mic and they get a little uncomfortable after an hour or two of use.

Top Bottom