• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sennheiser HD 598 Cs on sale for $99 @ Amazon

Hey guys, how much of an improvement in the sound quality are these compared to the ATH-M50X? Have had those for almost a year now, and I'm not sure if the retail price for these are indicative of better quality or not.

Hey guys, how much of an improvement in the sound quality are these compared to the ATH-M50X? Have had those for almost a year now, and I'm not sure if the retail price for these are indicative of better quality or not.
Ha, you're like the fourth person asking that question.

They're likely a huge upgrade overall (imo!), but YMMV considering the type of music/audio signature you enjoy.

Ha, you're like the fourth person asking that question.

They're likely a huge upgrade overall (imo!), but YMMV considering the type of music/audio signature you enjoy.

Lmao, I probably should have looked through the whole thread. Thanks for the reply though, appreciate it.

You could get an SMSL SD793-II and connect your headset to your PS4 with that. It should be the superior option to connecting to your controller.
And of course, I'm not comparing them to the likes of the Sony Wireless Gold Headset or anything. With or without bluetooth connection, those shit sound awful. Even a controller-connected HD 598 should be better than that.

Right, my bad. I thought you were looking for an alternative.
Sure, but for non-audiophiles, I think plugging this into the controller will be a very pleasant experience/ 'compromise' :)

hoserx

You could get an SMSL SD793-II and connect your headset to your PS4 with that. It should be the superior option to connecting to your controller.
And of course, I'm not comparing them to the likes of the Sony Wireless Gold Headset or anything. With or without bluetooth connection, those shit sound awful. Even a controller-connected HD 598 should be better than that.

Right, my bad. I thought you were looking for an alternative.

Nope, I was commenting on these cans. I have a pair of Hd600s that I use with a Behringer B1 microphone on a Fast Track Pro.

EBreda

If this is anything like the regular 598 (which I bought 2 years ago for the same price at Amazon's BF) the cable is not a standard 3.5mm, but the thick one usually used on amps and receivers.

The open 598s does come with an adaptor for regular outputs, but it sticks out like a big sore thumb. I wouldn't recommend connecting that to a controller.

IF they are the same, mind you. If it's a regular 3.5mm cable, then go for it.

Edit: explained. Thanks. Go for it people!

hoserx

Of course, but if you're going to buy an HD 598 for your PS4, you might as well spend the extra couple of bucks to get everything out of your headset =D. If not immediately, then in the future.
Ah, well forget I said anything about the modmic. My bad.

The antlion is an awesome mic that I highly recommend people match up with a pair of Hd558s for a great solution.

If this is anything like the regular 598 (which I bought 2 years ago for the same price at Amazon's BF) the cable is not a standard 3.5mm, but the thick one usually used on amps and receivers.

The open 598s does come with an adaptor for regular outputs, but it sticks out like a big sore thumb. I wouldn't recommend connecting that to a controller.

IF they are the same, mind you. If it's a regular 3.5mm cable, then go for it.

Just look it up, man :) You're just confusing people!

The HD 598 Cs comes with two detachable cables: a 3m cable with a 6.3-mm jack for a home entertainment system and a 1.2m cable with a 3.5mm jack featuring a one-button remote with mic for controlling music and taking phone calls.

ngower

I can't decide if I should be financial responsible and stick with my 555s/IEM combo, or pick up a (possibly overdue) new pair. The mic is an added benefit cause my PS Gold headset is kind of annoying.

tumblr_mx4dljX8Jd1rvj266o1_500.gif

Hahaha 'How do these compare to the M50x?' is the new 'But what do you DO in NMS?'

I can't decide if I should be financial responsible and stick with my 555s/IEM combo, or pick up a (possibly overdue) new pair. The mic is an added benefit cause my PS Gold headset is kind of annoying.

Dude, I have the Momentum 2.0s, PS Golds, Sennheiser 598, Sony MDR-10RC and a bunch of mid-range IEMs at home, and I still couldn't resist buying these. Just do it!

Firebrand

Give the Hyper X Cloud line some credit, they're at least based on real headphones, which already puts them above other headsets.

That being said, you should buy a good pair of headphones and a separate mic. I usually recommend the HD 598s for first-time buyers as they're open, relatively cheap, and don't require an amp.

That image doesn't seem entirely correct, the mic on the QH-85/90 is detachable. But yeah, the 85 are alright, just hope my second pair last longer than the first which died in a less than a year.

I have V-Moda Crossfade M-100 (link). I use them for DJing, and listening to music on my IPhone and Macbook Air. I also use them for PSVR, but the fit is tight with PSVR.

I primary listen to House, Techno, Electronica, Downtempo, Drum 'n' Bass, Ambient etc. I listen to other genres on an occasion.

I also have Skullcandy PLYR1 (wireless Dolby Surround gaming headphone; link), which I use for regular non VR gaming and late night movie watching.

I also have Sennheider PX 100, which I use mainly for working out.

Would HD598 CS be a significant upgrade for me?

Should I get these?

I am tempted due to the sale, but I do not want to waste my money either.

Any advice?

Nice price but I don't like the design of these headphones. They are prone to cracking. I wish it were metal instead of plastic, especially at that price point.

This is a new model, released only a couple of months ago.

Newer Sennheiser models don't crack anymore, so this should be fine.

I have V-Moda Crossfade M-100 (link). I use them for DJing, and listening to music on my IPhone and Macbook Air. I also use them for PSVR, but the fit is tight with PSVR.

I primary listen to House, Techno, Electronica, Downtempo, Drum 'n' Bass, Ambient etc. I listen to other genres on an occasion.

I also have Skullcandy PLYR1 (wireless Dolby Surround gaming headphone; link), which I use for regular non VR gaming and late night movie watching.

I also have Sennheider PX 100, which I use mainly for working out.

Would HD598 CS be a significant upgrade for me?

Should I get these?

I am tempted due to the sale, but I do not want to waste my money either.

Any advice?

Skullcandys -> Gigantic upgrade in sound quality but not wireless
Sennheiser PX100 -> Those are lovely, but yeah, big upgrade
V-Moda -> Not an upgrade at all, but they will sound very different. Sennheisers have a very characteristic sound.

But these are too big for working out and they don't have the ease of use of being wireless, so I'd say your V-Modas suffice. You don't really need these.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I'm also starting to reconsider my order. How much better would it be compared to a Sony MDR100AAP?

jett

D-Member
Nice price but I don't like the design of these headphones. They are prone to cracking. I wish it were metal instead of plastic, especially at that price point.

Heh, my 555s also have slight cracks. I guess Sennheiser never learned or cared to fix it.

The pads are also starting to come off lol. :|

Closed headphones are fine for gaming. Sound stage is better on open since they are well, open. But closed also is good in other ways, keeping outside noise out, allowing you to concentrate on just the game audio. Also many people require closed because they share a space or have roommates, etc.

You don't want closed headphones for gaming.

Nonsense.

Because he's making a waaay too general statement.

Closed headphones are fine for gaming. Sound stage is better on open since they are well, open. But closed also is good in other ways, keeping outside noise out, allowing you to concentrate on just the game audio. Also many people require closed because they share a space or have roommates, etc.

Basically this. I'll add that soundstage won't be open-back 598 level, but soundstage on closed-backs can still be great and more than good enough for gaming. Besides, I think a tight bass is just as important for movies/gaming as soundstage is.

This is a new model, released only a couple of months ago.

Newer Sennheiser models don't crack anymore, so this should be fine.

Skullcandys -> Gigantic upgrade in sound quality but not wireless
Sennheiser PX100 -> Those are lovely, but yeah, big upgrade
V-Moda -> Not an upgrade at all, but they will sound very different. Sennheisers have a very characteristic sound.

But these are too big for working out and they don't have the ease of use of being wireless, so I'd say your V-Modas suffice. You don't really need these.

Yeah, I thought so too. Thanks!

Scroll up a little :)

Edit:
Sorry. Wait, what? How do the V-Modas compare to the Sennheiser PC thing? I thought you meant 'these' as in 'the headphones this thread is about'

Well the headphone I linked is basically the non C version of the 598s with a mic so that's why I asked here. Yes, I am asking how they compare. My M-100s are going out and would like a better mic as well.

Renekton

Still, if external noise (both directions) is not an issue, gaming sounds better on open than closed.

Izayoi

Banned
Anyone have opinions on these vs. the Senn 360 headset?

My wife has a pair of 360s already and its quite nice, just curious which one I should pick.

Well the headphone I linked is basically the non C version of the 598s with a mic so that's why I asked here. Yes, I am asking how they compare. My M-100s are going out and would like a better mic as well.

Hm, what makes you say that? From what I've heard, the PC360 is more like a 558 with a mic.

Still, if external noise (both directions) is not an issue, gaming sounds better on open than closed.

It's complete nonsense to make a general statement like 'gaming sounds better on open than closed'. It all depends which open-back headphones and which closed-back headphones you're comparing.

Even then: what kind of games? Positioning is more important for stealth games and shooters, but for many other genres it's mostly irrelevant.

Pheace

Heh, my 555s also have slight cracks. I guess Sennheiser never learned or cared to fix it.

The pads are also starting to come off lol. :|

Haha, my HD555's also ended up like that (after years of using them and dropping them regularly). Had them taped together at some point. Still sounded great and still worth every penny imo.

@topic... wow, I ordered these as soon as I saw them and I didn't even know it had a mic xD

Renekton

It's complete nonsense to make a general statement like 'gaming sounds better on open than closed'. It all depends which open-back headphones and which closed-back headphones you're comparing.

Even then: what kind of games? Positioning is more important for stealth games and shooters, but for many other genres it's mostly irrelevant.
This is a safe claim to make, assuming roughly similar quality.

Not sure about gaming performance/professional, this is mostly about enjoying audio.

Edit: for positional, narrower soundstage on closed could mean sound is flatter and distance is less discernible

This is a safe claim to make, assuming roughly similar quality.

Not sure about gaming performance/professional, this is mostly about enjoying audio.

Guess we'll have to disagree on that :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I bought these before the thread hit the second page but props to Gino for all the helpful answers.

Thanks! :)

Noob question, how do I get these to work with the Xbox One? Without the receiver.

If you have the old model controller, you're going to need to buy the little receiver thing for your controller. If you don't need to use the mic, you could also get a 3.5mm extender cable and plug it directly into your TV. Or you could get a newer model controller with a 3.5mm jack.

If you have the old model controller, you're going to need to buy the little receiver thing for your controller. If you don't need to use the mic, you could also get a 3.5mm extender cable and plug it directly into your TV. Or you could get a newer model controller with a 3.5mm jack.

Ah! Alright thanks.

Top Bottom