• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girls prefer height and thats fine, but guys can't prefer curvy/fit women?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prologue

Had a bit of a spat with a few colleagues regarding my lack of interest in their colleague. I mostly prefer women who are curvy and take care of themselves. Eat healthy, go to the gym. I'm not talking size zero here, just a care in that department. And it turned into a whole thing when I mentioned that. Now I overheard them numerous times disregarding potential interests due to their being not a huge enough heigh difference, I was surprised about the hostility I received regarding my own interests. They kept insisting that i was different.

Is this a common thing?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Height is one of those weird things that people are still perfectly normal with excluding and alienating others over with. Not saying people can't have their preferences either but it is one of those weird social stigmas if you are short that no one really bats an eye at.

They can! You know how girls get bent out of shape when guys say they want thin women? Yep, dudes do that when called out for their height too.

It's fine.

collige

Banned
There was a huge ass 40 page thread about this recently. The tl;dr was basically that people can do what they want.

WolfeTone

It's a double standard sure, but one that is not going away anytime soon.

It's best not to discuss these things with others as the conversation always gets heated and never ends well. Especially with colleagues.

Derwind

There is nothing wrong with having a preference. Having a preference doesn't mean you can't date outside of your preference.

darscot

There are things everyone knows you don't get into. Women and body image and weight, is a no win situation. You're not doing yourself any favors.

There are a ton of double standards and hypocrisy when it comes to this kinda thing. It will never go away, just ignore it.

Mesoian

It's human. People like what they like, and that is usually the general unrealistic standard of beauty we've been told should be the norm but is far from it.

But people are likely getting bent out of shape because they're projecting. "What do you mean you don't want to date a thick girl? I'm thick! You wouldn't date me? You're calling me undateable?" and so on, and so on.

Had a bit of a spat with a few colleagues regarding my lack of interest in their colleague. I mostly prefer women who are curvy and take care of themselves. Eat healthy, go to the gym. I'm not talking size zero here, just a care in that department. And it turned into a whole thing when I mentioned that. Now I overheard them numerous times disregarding potential interests due to their being not a huge enough heigh difference, I was surprised about the hostility I received regarding my own interests. They kept insisting that i was different.

Is this a common thing?

It's common that people think the person they want to hook another person up with is great, yes.

Levyne

Banned
Nothing wrong with that at all, seems like pretty standard stuff for female attractiveness, but I guess it depends on how you said it.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think anyone should take issue with having standards, being that we all have it, some more eclectic than others.

With that said, it is entirely different to be demeaning of people who do not fit your standard. I have my own preferences but still manage to find people who do not fall under that umbrella to be attractive. The major difference is that I am attracted to people who match my preference, whereas I simply find people who don't to be attractive.

I get shit for liking tall women OP. I had a girl call me a sexist for saying no thanks when she invited me on a date via tinder. She had 5'1 in her bio and I'm not interested in dating someone child size.

KmA

Sometimes I literally think it's impossible for a woman to ever be attracted to me because I'm kind of short (5'7). But also I'm gay and men tend to not care about height as much.

Xe4

Banned
You can prefer whatever you want, just don't be a douche about it.
Yup. As with all things in life, don't be a dick. People have preferences and that's ok! I prefer petite girls, but have dated curvy girls in the past, and that's pretty rad in its own way.

Also, having people including yourself strive to be more fit is a good thing,just don't be a dick, especially since women are constantly ridiculed for weight, be they actually overweight or not.

It entirely depends how you phrase it. Just saying "I prefer women that take care of themselves" can come off as demeaning, or objectifying. It's putting the onus for desire on the subject. But saying that somebody isn't your type is more vague, and puts all of the work on yourself.

There's something of a double standard regarding how men & women talk about the opposite sex, but ultimately it comes down to respect.

I get shit for liking tall women OP. I had a girl call me a sexist for saying no thanks when she invited me on a date via tinder. She had 5'1 in her bio and I'm not interested in dating someone child size.

You got called a sexist because you turned a girl down? What does height have to do with it at all?

When it comes to "taking care of yourself", I find that you can get away easier when you explain that you want someone physically active because your hobbies are such. That can for example hurt the quality of your relationship.

People will always have their preferences. Kinda bs in this case though because fitness is attainable by anyone, but a short man will always be short.

The Kree

Banned

Is this a common thing?

Fuck. Them.

Trance

Agreed that you can have all the preferences you want as long as you're not a dick about it. That usually entails keeping it to yourself unless asked.

I think the "double standard" has a lot to do with the societal pressures put on women vs. men. And height vs. weight. Weight is seen as modular so the expectation is "if you're unfit, you're wrong", and women systematically get that dumped on them much more than dudes. Height is fixed, for the most part, so if you're stuck being short then that's that. No one expects you to get taller.

In an ideal world, people shouldn't make each other ashamed of their bodies, but that's not the world we live in. In the context of our society, women have way more unfair expectations put on them. In a vacuum, it'd be just as bad to to expect men to always be tall, but we live in a world that doesn't even remotely resemble a vacuum.

Mostly, though, keep your preferences to yourself and be cool.

Platy

People can do what they want, but know what your preference is a beauty standard that makes lots of girls unhealthy and depressed.... and since it is a social stigma and you fit most people than you would probably liked fat women in the past =P

Mesousa

Banned
The height thing really is like the curious case of Mexican Trump supporters.

Like, hypothetically it has to exist, but I have never ever ever come across it IRL.

Is this a common thing?

Yes its a common thing. Women can exclude whatever they want and its fine, when men do it, were assholes.

While it may seem like humans are rational creatures that strive towards equality in all matters, it assuredly is not true.

This is most obvious when seeing how humans treat other humans in regards to how sexually or aesthetically pleasing their bodies may be.

You will continue to see open hypocrisy and double standards because in general, people don't want to be "othered" themselves, but are fine "othering" anybody they can't relate to.

Makonero

I prefer shorter women. I'm dating a tall one.
I prefer curvy women. I'm dating a curvy one.

Preferences =/= requirements

As long as it isn't race-related. Then you need to really examine why you don't find "a particular race" attractive because the likelihood is that there are plenty of women in that category that you'd love to be with.

TS-08

Did she call you a sexist because you rejected her offer, or because of a reason you attached to the rejection?

FairyD

Yeah it's a preference a lot of people have that isn't going away anytime soon.

As for me, I'm 5'3 and I only date girls who are 5'10+

Reminds me of that:

o6snO1v.jpg

BajiBoxer

Banned
Like others have said, it's fine to have preferences as long as you're not a douche about it. And don't talk down about women who aren't your preference while complaining about women having standards. I've see this later behaviour get plenty of people in trouble :p

lenovox1

Sometimes I literally think it's impossible for a woman to ever be attracted to me because I'm kind of short (5'7). But also I'm gay and men tend to not care about height as much.

Nah. Women are less likely to care about physical attractiveness, though height is strong factor for Western women by and large.

Gay men care about traits like that based on their preferred sexual role and dominance level. So you may be inadvertently attracting dom tops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom