• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Go - the next generation of physical shopping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

Amazon just unveiled a grocery store without lines or checkout counters. Amazon Go, a retail space located in the company’s hometown of Seattle, lets shoppers just grab the items they want and leave; the order gets charged to their Amazon account afterwards.

Amazon Go works by using computer vision and sensors to detect what items you’re taking out of the store. You start by scanning an app as you enter the Amazon Go shop. As you leave, the sensors at the door identifies the items in your cart and charges them to your account as your phone passes back out the door.

Holy shit....that's some next level stuff there. I'd like to see it applied to a larger store though.

The shop will stock most items you’d find in a local convenience store: snacks, drinks, pre-made food like salads and sandwiches, and grocery essentials like bread and milk. It’ll also sell Blue Apron-like meal kits that let you cook your own dinners for two.

On the consumer level, the benefits are obvious – but for Amazon, the company could potentially track you and your phone as you browse the store to track items you buy. By looking at your movements in the store as you shop, Amazon could analyze items you may have noticed or were potentially interested in buying (i.e. picking something up off a shelf and putting it back down.) Combine this with your Amazon.com browsing activities and the company could gear up to serve even more recommended products wherever you’re online.

The store is currently open in beta to Amazon employees only. A public opening is scheduled for early 2017.

Imagine this working at a place like Wal-Mart or some other big box store. It would change the whole shopping experience. I know it will be awhile before something like this happens because of security and quality control, but I can dream dammit.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/5/13842592/amazon-go-new-cashier-less-convenience-store

Youtube Demo

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I wonder how many people are going to just grab whatever they want and walk out because they associate the lack of a traditional checkout process with free items.

I wonder how many people are going to just grab whatever they want and walk out because they associate the lack of a traditional checkout process with free items.

I think the kicker is that you won't even be able to get in without being prepped for usage

v0yce

Not exactly the same, but I've been doing similar at the Apple Store for quite a while.

Just grab something off the shelf. Scan it on my phone. And leave without ever speaking to a sales person.

Really weird the first time.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
There is literally I thread on the first page about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom