• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What will the next generation of Xbox be like?

Yonyx

How do you think the next generation of Xbox will be? Please, don't confuse what you really think might happen with your personal desires. Here we are going to discuss what you think it's going to be, not what you wish it to be.

Microsoft executives call it "the next hardware". On the day of the announcement of the ports to PS5, they didn't say "next console", they said "next hardware" several times. For that and other reasons, I believe the next generation of Microsoft hardware (the rumored machine that would come out in 2026) will be a PC.

A PC with an "Xbox mode" when turned on, which would also have a "Windows mode" where you can view and manage Excel files, PDFs, Words, music, movies, browse the internet, etc. and also execute additional launchers such as Steam, Epic or GOG. Something similar to the native Steam Deck experience with desktop mode. In "Xbox mode" (it is actually a PC with the PC catalog), you will see the Xbox interface with Microsoft's own store. And in "Windows mode", everything else would be available.

For the Xbox games you had purchased in the past, they would give you a key so you can digitally download those same games in their PC version. Maintaining that catalog of Xbox games would be an advantage of buying this machine instead of a traditional PC. Saved games would also need to be made compatible somehow. They have to migrate Xbox accounts to Windows, which is a colossal technical challenge but a company as colossal as Microsoft could achieve it.

The hardware would no longer be subsidized; it wouldn't be sold below cost. That's why I see it most likely being sold at a very high price, between 800 and 900 dollars is my bet. It would be sold without disc drive and possibly with a keyboard and mouse.

The high price would explain why Sarah Bond said they were going to make the biggest technical leap ever seen in a hardware generation (which is actually impossible, no matter how expensive it is). They wouldn't have to worry about the installed base if they sell few machines, as it's a PC that already has a gigantic installed base.

The most devoted Xbox fans would likely resist this concept at first, but I believe many would eventually embrace it enthusiastically. With this machine they could play most of their old Xbox games, they could play all PC games and all PS5/PS6 games that have been ported to PC.

The Microsoft handheld would be somewhat similar, also with hardware that wouldn't be sold below cost. It will be a PC like Steam Deck but with a revamped, lighter and better-designed version of Windows, optimized for portable gaming. I think a handheld with specifications slightly higher than Series S is feasible a little later, maybe around 2027.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
How do you think the next generation of Xbox will be? Please, don't confuse what you really think might happen with your personal desires. Here we are going to discuss what you think it's going to be, not what you wish it to be.

Microsoft executives call it "the next hardware". On the day of the announcement of the ports to PS5, they didn't say "next console", they said "next hardware" several times. For that and other reasons, I believe the next generation of Microsoft hardware (the rumored machine that would come out in 2026) will be a PC.

A PC with an "Xbox mode" when turned on, which would also have a "Windows mode" where you can view/manage Excels, Words, PDFs, music, movies, and also any other launcher like Steam, Epic, or GOG. Something similar to the native Steam Deck experience with desktop mode. In "Xbox mode" (it is actually a PC with the PC catalog), you will see the Xbox interface with Microsoft's own store. And in "Windows mode", everything else would be available.

For the Xbox games you had purchased in the past, they would give you a key so you can digitally download those same games in their PC version. Maintaining that catalog of Xbox games would be an advantage of buying this machine instead of a traditional PC. Saved games would also need to be made compatible somehow. They have to migrate Xbox accounts to Windows, which is a colossal technical challenge but a company as colossal as Microsoft could achieve it.

The hardware would no longer be subsidized; it wouldn't be sold below cost. That's why I see it most likely being sold at a very high price, between 700 and 900 dollars is my bet. It would be sold without discs and maybe with a keyboard and mouse. It's possible that from the marketing department they sell it as an Xbox, although it is technically a PC. Or maybe not, I wouldn't be too surprised if they discarded the Xbox brand either.

The high price would explain why Sarah Bond said they were going to make the biggest technical leap ever seen in a hardware generation (which is actually impossible, no matter how expensive it is). They wouldn't have to worry about the installed base if they sell few machines, as it's a PC that already has a gigantic installed base.

The most devoted Xbox fans would likely resist this concept at first, but I believe many would eventually embrace it enthusiastically.. Because with this machine (which is a PC but the most fanatical would still call it a console), they could play most of their old Xbox games, they could play all PC games and nearly all PlayStation 5 games that have been ported to PC.

The Microsoft handheld would be somewhat similar, also with hardware that wouldn't be sold below cost. It will be a PC like Steam Deck but with a revamped, lighter and better-designed version of Windows, optimized for portable gaming. I think a handheld with specifications slightly higher than Series S is feasible a little later, maybe around 2027.
All games will have a window of exclusivity so for around 6-12months before coming to "other" platforms.

A new box, but it won't make much difference.

They will continue to release half baked, unfinished games to feed game pass which will ultimately fail.

They seriously need to start putting out AAA bangers that people want to play then everything else will fall into place. Simples.

Last edited:

Yonyx

Given that it's essentially a PC, they could quickly release specifications of various types, some of them cheaper. And the hardware would be updated every few years, not every 7-8 years like now. They could also involve 3rd party manufacturers.

The bad thing for Microsoft is that there would be external stores within their hardware, resulting in fewer royalties from software sales. That's why I believe they won't want to incur losses on the hardware, which may lead to higher prices. The wise approach would be to allow other launchers like Steam, but Microsoft's greed might lead them to reject that option. This is what raises the most doubts about the viability of the proposal.

The good thing about this PC for Microsoft is that they would be in a situation similar to that of the Steam Deck, where they don't have to worry about selling a large volume of these machines or leaving users stranded (PC software will continue to be available on their machines even if they stop manufacturing them). What interests them is making money with each machine sold and having their software potentially reach almost everywhere.

tmlDan

It'll be invisible, no new generation, just an app. We can't call an app a new gen, that's old tech.

Their focus will be primarily publishing and PC.

Yonyx

They did that this gen.

They did not. They released two specifications on day one, and four years later, there hasn't been anything new. I'm referring to the possibility for them to introduce new machines (including handhelds) with different configurations every year, or at most, every two years.

It is quite possible that the marketing department promote it as an Xbox, even though it's technically a PC.

I wouldn't be surprised if, being such an expensive product (800-900 dollars, maybe more), it were slightly more powerful than the 2028 PS6.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
double down zinger GIF by KFC Italy

Fredrik

I think they’ll go with a fairly normal PC architecture and Windows which is booting into an Xbox user interface. Can run PC Gamepass, Steam, GOG, Epic, and Xbox 360/One/Series games through emulation and cloud.
Different SKUs, $700-1500
New controller with a touch pad for mouse cursor in case it’s needed, similar to Dualsense.

clarky

Gold Member
I think they’ll go with a fairly normal PC architecture and Windows which is booting into an Xbox user interface. Can run PC Gamepass, Steam, GOG, Epic, and Xbox 360/One/Series games through emulation and cloud.
New controller with a touch pad for mouse cursor in case it’s needed, similar to Dualsense.
$700 - $1500? And that would be Xbox's last dance. Unless the premium console has a drive that gives top of the line blow jobs.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Extraordinarily different, and nothing like it is right now or how Sony will approach next gen with PS6.

More and more hardware agnostic, Game Pass on every platform that will have them, most-if-not-all first party games on other platforms, a plethora of hardware options (including pc/xbox hybrid options), much more of a focus on mobile, etc.. etc..

They’re going to throw everything at the wall and see what sticks.

Trunim

They gotta do something drastic with bethesda before they ruin ES6 too. Give Todd Howard his severance pay and get someone else in there to start with.

hinch7

Xbox: Steam Machines edition. Is what I'd expect.. with Microsoft Store and GamePass intergrated into its custom Windows OS. With games and profiles optimised to run on it.

If they go with the traditional console route, then good luck.

rapid32.5

MS licensed AI will rewrite every Xbox game and PC game code released to run on next Xbox hardware spec if devs agree, they get paid and everyone wins.

Last edited:
$700 - $1500? And that would be Xbox's last dance. Unless the premium console has a drive that gives top of the line blow jobs.
It would be a PC with Xbox as a compatibility layer on Windows. If you lose closed garden you had to sell the hardware at a profit.

In the end, Xbox customers who want to transfer their library to PC will had to do it one way or another.

baphomet

Average to good specs with no games seems like the most likely scenario given their last 2 1/2 generations.

Hoddi

I think the days of 'console generations' are just about over. Computing growth has slowed down so much that it's starting to make more sense to release upgraded revisions of current hardware than starting fresh every 7 years. We're seeing 7-8 year old PCs still running fairly high-end games which was unheard of 10 years ago.

I don't think it's coincidence that they're talking about forward compatibility now. There's much less need to hit specific target framerates like 30/60fps as VRR becomes a thing which makes it significantly easier to optimize for multiple consoles.

clarky

Gold Member
It would be a PC with Xbox as a compatibility layer on Windows. If you lose closed garden you had to sell the hardware at a profit.

In the end, Xbox customers who want to transfer their library to PC will had to do it one way or another.
Steam tried that and failed miserably. If your spending £1500 on a xbox that's also pc you'd probably be better off buying a PC. Unless it does some thing drastically different. which it won't.

Last edited:
Largest 3rd party publisher with a pc handheld that isn’t as seamless as the steam deck and a subscription model that doesn’t impress.

clarky

Gold Member
Largest 3rd party publisher with a pc handheld that isn’t as seamless as the steam deck and a subscription model that doesn’t impress.
Eh? their subscription model is the best there is by far. You could argue its too good because everyone on Xbox has stopped buying games lol.

How do you know its not a seamless as the steam deck? We know nothing about it, like zero, if it even exists.

Last edited:
Eh? their subscription model is the best there is by far. You could argue its too good because everyone on Xbox has stopped buying games lol.

How do you know its not a seamless as the steam deck? We know nothing about it, like zero, if it even exists.
i know it’ll be windows based which has been terrible for these pc handhelds. I’d also argue GamePass has been crap for awhile now. Not getting the great AAA deals anymore. Not even getting that many great indie deals anymore. GDC devs even said the gold rush is over for GP and EGS. I’d also argue PS+ Extra has been better and cheaper but that’s subjective.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'd go up to $2000 no problem if it was close to a pretty high end PC with the ease of a console and Xbox BC on top. Literally everything I want, and I dont want to build a PC.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
What a huge flop steam machines was. Now folks want it? Hilarious

Steam Machines failed because it was Linux based. There wasn't Proton like there is today and the library was severely limited. The next Xbox won't be Linux based either way so don't think we can point to the ghost of Steam Machines here.

I can see some appeal for a standardized Xbox/Windows PC but lots of questions too. Mainly.....how much? If it is a PC with multiple storefronts then it is doubtful Microsoft will be able to subsidize it and sell near cost. So we are talking about a $1000 machine at least. Also will Microsoft give its users the complete freedom they have on Windows PCs? I can see Microsoft merging PC and Xbox Game Pass into one service on such a device. But will all that be enough to make money on for Microsoft? Or could it be they will simply offer up new Winbox OS (trademark!) for OEMS to use? Dunno

Not going to lie......I like the idea. I've said many times that I would buy a PC version of Xbox Series X in a heartbeat. Either way, Microsoft has to do something different here. Can't imagine they are pinning all their hopes on Sarah Bond's lofty boasts about generational leaps.

Last edited:

demigod

Steam Machines failed because it was Linux based. There wasn't Proton like there is today and the library was severely limited. The next Xbox won't be Linux based either way so don't think we can point to the ghost of Steam Machines here.

I can see some appeal for a standardized Xbox/Windows PC but lots of questions too. Mainly.....how much? If it is a PC with multiple storefronts then it is doubtful Microsoft will be able to subsidize it and sell near cost. So we are talking about a $1000 machine at least. Also will Microsoft give its users the complete freedom they have on Windows PCs? I can see Microsoft merging PC and Xbox Game Pass into one service on such a device. But will all that be enough to make money on for Microsoft? Or could it be they will simply offer up new Winbox OS (trademark!) for OEMS to use? Dunno

Not going to lie......I like the idea. I've said many times that I would buy a PC version of Xbox Series X in a heartbeat. Either way, Microsoft has to do something different here. Can't imagine they are pinning all their hopes on Sarah Bond's lofty boasts about generational leaps.
Steam machines flopped because it was an overpriced piece of shit. You could build a better PC for the price.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I don't think there is going to be a next Xbox. I am sure MS is working on something but ultimately at some point they will make a decision to sell it or not and I think they will choose not to.

Killjoy-NL

Well that'd be on brand for MS. They're pretty good at making the new product worse than the old product.
That's why I wouldn't be surprised if they'd actually do that.
Would fall in line with all the rumors. Lol

Who would they even be aiming for, outside the most hardcore fanbase?

By releasing games on PC, Playstation and Nintendo, they literally made their hardware redundant.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I don't think there is going to be a next Xbox. I am sure MS is working on something but ultimately at some point they will make a decision to sell it or not and I think they will choose not to.

Microsoft has already commmitted themselves to making a new Xbox. You think they are going renege on that?

clarky

Gold Member
By releasing games on PC, Playstation and Nintendo, they literally made their hardware redundant.
At first i thought the same but thinking about it, if they actually get around to releasing some must have games (unlikely on current form) on Gamepass and with say a 12-18 month exclusivity window then I think the Xbox would sell just fine.

Hell the only reason I own a Playstation is because I want to play some of their titles at launch not 18 months-2 years later on my PC. Xbox just lacks killer apps.

Top Bottom