• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who agrees that Morrowind was the best in game navigation ever?

After playing FFXV and realizing that Final Fantasy had added in two of the things I hate most (minimaps and quest markers), I was thinking back to how amazingly Morrowind handled navigation.

See, for you youngins out there, Morrowind was the third Elder Scrolls game (the granddaddy to Skyrim). It was from a time before you needed to be handheld and shown exactly where to go. You have to actually listen and read and search to find your destination.

First, let's address one of the biggest issues with modern Elder Scrolls (and Fallout, by proxy) games. Fast travel. Need to get somewhere? Fast travel. Done with a quest? Just fast travel back. A simple click and you're where you want to go. Now, don't get me wrong, this existed in Morrowind, but that's because the fast travel routes actually existed in the world

morrowind-travel-map.jpg

See all those lines? Fast travel routes. You had Silt Striders (giant bugs that you rode around in), boats, and mages guild teleportations. Sometimes it meant taking a boat, then a strider to get to your destination. It actually felt like travelling. You could also use the spells of Divine Intervention (which teleported you to the nearest Imperial outpost) or Almsivi Intervention (which teleported you to the nearest temple). The only way to get modern "fast travel" was to get the spells of mark and recall, but even then you could only mark a single spot and return to it on demand.

It made the world feel cohesive and you actually had to learn how to navigate it. In a way, Dark Souls reminded me of it, because I'd have to learn the world, where the other souls games give you bonfire fast travel right from the start.

Now for minimaps. Yes, Morrowind does have one, but it's the most basic minimap you can have. All it does it give you a tiny overhead view (very, VERY tiny), and show you if there's a door. Other than that it has no compass, no destination marker, no "your quest is inside this circle", nothing else. Let's compare Morrowind's minimap to FFXV:

Morrowind
nhXu9DL.png

FFXV
6ThpNm8.png

And while Skyim doesn't have an on-screen minimap, it does have a POI compass that shows you everything near and exactly where to go

qWAnDIu.png

The big issue I have with minimaps and compasses that point you in the exact direction of where to go is it seems you're supposed to pay more attention to it than the actual main gameplay screen.

But, I digress, let's talk about the big one. Navigation. Let's start with how Morrowind starts. You're dumped off a boat and told to go meet a guy in Balmora to the north.

That's it.

32-journal.png

How do you get there? Well, you know it's north, so look at your compass and head that way. Ask questions to people in town. Read street signs. Learn roads. Some quests are actually given to you with references to landmarks so you actually have to search around the beautifully crafted world to find where you need to go. Because of that, it's a great sense of accomplishment. But with newer games, it's basically "Hey, go here. Just follow the point on your map." With that method, it's completely brainless and devoid of any sense of satisfaction that the journey should give you.

"But Transistor, why don't you just mod that stuff out or turn off the HUD"

Because the world is built with these things in mind now. Without any recognizable landmarks or carefully crafted worlds, you would have no idea how to reach your destinations without a POI compass.

Anyways, just venting. Fuck POI compasses, fuck minimaps, fuck quest markers. Give me back my exploration.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
OP I completely agree with you.

Especially the part about the world being built for it. Even quests, the characters and diary tell you things and you infer from that and get shit done. Rather than follow an arrow.

Agreed. One of the reasons I could never get into Oblivion or Skyrim.

Same thing with GTA and the GPS. Instead of finding your own way like in GTA 3, you are now staring at the GPS following a green line.

i never want to have the game fight against me or waste my time. give me the option to fast travel and hold my hand all the way to the end goal and, likewise, give others the option to remove it all and explore on their own.

morrowind, from what i remember, is outdated and laborious and i don't want to play another game like that.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
100% agreed. My friend and I were just saying something similar the other day.

morrowind, from what i remember, is outdated and laborious and i don't want to play another game like that.
It's a game from 2001, of course it is a bit outdated now. But if a new RPG crafts its world without constant fast travel in mind, you might get the same thing but in a modern game.

Isn't the map of Skyrim or FF XV like, exponentially larger than Morrowind?
Doesn't matter, since you can still take transport anyway to different towns, but there are fixed routes like public transport would have.

The problem is that this form of superior quest descriptions and travel routes is that it requires a ton more work from the devs. The "modern" way of vomiting all relevant info into minimaps and markers is way, way easier. Plus, most gamers today are not interested in figuring out where to go, they just want to be told outright.

MikeDip

Wasn't there a mod that was working on this for Skyrim?

It got rid of the arrows but also was working on rewriting all of the quest logs so you could navigate using the actual lore.

Hmm, it might have been a different game but I swear the mod was being worked on. Need to go look.

Morrowind style navigation might work again, if devs would do quests that required less running around. The whole idea of "return to quest giver to cash in the quest" needs to go away.

Let the quests start wherever, and let the player have to get there, but let it be resolved in the place where it ends also. If so, players would probably have more understanding for the Morrowind model. But I don't think redoing Morrowind as it were, without changes, would work without annoying a lot of people.

Zach

I noticed I've been looking at the mini map in The Witcher III more than I'd like. Not sure if there are any reasonable HUD options to make me less dependent on it, but I should probably look into it.

Mephala

I've always argued this point to others but it is great to see you lay it out like this especially with marked routes and comparison of minimap displays.

The way you map out the map by walking around was nice too.

The only grievance I had with Morrowind is that there are a few instances that had false or incorrect instructions. A single mistake in left turn where it should have been a right turn will fuck you up in navigations.

Also. I adore the Almsivi and Divine intervention panic scrolls that you can use to escape certain death. I remember I was exploring, got into deep trouble and used a scroll ending up in a completely new town's temple (Molag Mar I think). It was such a great feeling.

Also you forgot propylon chambers or whatever they are called. Understandable given they are seldom used since they require a key.

I played Morrowind at launch. The modern way is much preferred, IMO.

Navigating the world of Morrowind was just not fun at all, IMO. Like, if I could get the exact same quests and landmass but with modern quest markers and fast travel, I'd be all over playing it again.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I really love how Dead Space handled navigation, the map and the quest markers were seamlessly integrated into the in-game universe.

I'm legitimately shocked that this hasn't become standard in the 8 years since the first game released.

Zafir

Love the world in Morrowind, but no, sorry.

The map is frankly useless, which makes going anywhere or exploring just kind of tedious.

I don't really have strong opinions about map markers or fast-travel either way. If they're there, fine. If they're not, assuming the quest descriptions aren't totally cryptic and the map isn't a nightmare to traverse, fine.

MikeDip

I played Morrowind at launch. The modern way is much preferred, IMO.

Navigating the world of Morrowind was just not fun at all, IMO. Like, if I could get the exact same quests and landmass but with modern quest markers and fast travel, I'd be all over playing it again.

This opinion makes me very sad :(

Love the world in Morrowind, but no, sorry.

The map is frankly useless, which makes going anywhere or exploring just kind of tedious.

I don't really have strong opinions about map markers or fast-travel either way. If they're there, fine. If they're not, assuming the quest descriptions aren't totally cryptic and the map isn't a nightmare to traverse, fine.

We aren't talking the map. We are talking about the whole navigation package. Including the lore and in world nav tools (Such as actually talking to npcs, books, journal, landmarks)

playXray

exponentially ?

I presume the poster mean 'significantly' - for some reason the word 'exponentially' is starting to get terribly mis-used these days.

Back on point, I agree OP - no game has given me quite the sense of exploration that Morrowind did back in the day. I miss the whole concept to be honest.

xealo

Exploring or being lost isn't "wasting time" any more than just playing a video game is.

Alternatively it could just do away with fast travel, or at least make it a high level thing.

For Bethesda games, being forced to leg it there instead of just jumping to the closest travel point they've unlocked. That's bound to have the player encounter all sorts of stuff they didn't know about and go on detours, while still giving an easy to read destination.

Zafir

This opinion makes me very sad :(

We aren't talking the map. We are talking about the whole navigation package. Including the lore and in world nav tools (Such as actually talking to npcs, books, journal, landmarks)

Yes but the map directly influences navigation, if you can't easily navigate using the map, then how are you going to find anything. I just found myself frustrated trying to find places.

I agree OP, and I'm so happy that what we've seen of Zelda: BotW seems to emulate a lot of Morrowind's features. You place your own map markers, NPC's give out vague directions with no waypoints, and you can pretty much skip to the main boss without experiencing any of the story.

I wonder if they actively drew inspiration from Morrowind or it's just a coincidence of smart game design.

GeeTeeCee

I tend to ignore modern fast travel stuff whenever possible. I prefer to explore a map, not skip through it. Morrowind's solution did it right.

Recent example: you can fast travel from any signpost in The Witcher 3, and the only way to travel between the Novigrad/Velen map and Skellige is to use them. The only fast travel points I ever used in game were the ones at the Novigrad/Skellige docks, because in-universe those would be the only locations you could charter a ship to travel across the sea.

batfax

Yeah, I loved it. Finding locations, maybe chatting with NPCs who may know the way, learning the fast travel routes, or just exploring freestyle and recognizing a landmark from a quest you received earlier and deciding to finally act on it were all fun ways to get around.

While I understand it's "easier" to do it the modern way, I at least wish Skyrim would've bothered keeping the "journal" part of the system intact even if they didn't voice everything. Not having it really there made it impossible to play without the quest compasses, as no one really told you how to do much. Just "Go do this." It was also a really nice thing as when I've finished a character, it's always really nice to be able to look back and see all these quest events and such actually described my steps to completing them rather than disappearing into a "completed quests" list.

Crispy

I agree with you OP, it seems like everything has to be efficient and thought out for you, so you just have to follow the icons.

One of the most recent games that can be fully played without them is Deus Ex: MD. I was playing the game and mindlessly following icons, not really enjoying myself, when I thought of turning off the minimap and markers. Suddenly I had to actually pay attention to what people said, what numbers were on the buildings and the city layout. It felt great!

Learning the routes in Morrowind was a satisfying experience and I agree completely that their newer games suffered in terms of world building and navigation due to the fast travel and waypoint systems.

Coxy100

Banned
Great OP

I do kind of agree - except now I'm older and have far less time playing games I actually prefer the arrow method. Simply because I don't have time to find my way to places.

Having said that I remember ploughing hours into Morrowind and I agree with what the OP is getting at.

Great OP

I do kind of agree - except now I'm older and have far less time playing games I actually prefer the arrow method. Simply because I don't have time to find my way to places.

Having said that I remember ploughing hours into Morrowind and I agree with what the OP is getting at.

I'm older, have a full time job and a one year old daughter. If it means I just have to play less games to get myself more immersed in a good game, I'm all for it. With quest makers and POI, I feel like I'm just going through the motions and not even enjoying the game. It might as well just be a CGI movie at that point.

TrutaS

I fully agree and unfortunately we will never see it ever again. Considering real life has google maps, humanity will simply loose the ability to find things on its own. Until the fallout happens and we have to go back to normal survival instincts.

Too many games have become interactive experiences rather than actual games any more.

It's a side-conversation, but the Phoenix Wright series is a great example of this, where in Dual Destinies, the series basically become a linear story that you couldn't lose and practically hit A to win. Luckily, in Spirit of Justice, they went back and added in some interactivity with the environments again, adding a perceived sense of non-linearity and challenge, even though it's not actually there.

I feel like a lot of modern Nintendo games have also suffered from this. Super Mario 3D World, Paper Mario Color Splash, etc. iOS games of course might take the crown with games like Monument Valley, etc.

Despite its over-simplification in areas, Skyrim still had a sense of challenge. I think it's all about actually simplifying in the right areas. And so often, giving users "Options" to make the game harder for themselves is not the right design decision.

Unai

To be fair, I think Fallout 4 is much, much better about no fast travel than Skyrim. The world seems to have being designed around that.

Rad-

Exploration in general was amazing in Morrowind. It's the only open world game where I have been seriously creeped out when going to a dungeon. Those fucking ancestral tombs and what not. In a way I have always seen it as part horror game.

Yes but the map directly influences navigation, if you can't easily navigate using the map, then how are you going to find anything. I just found myself frustrated trying to find places.

Yup. I just never found trying to navigate Morrowind to be fun.

Don't get me wrong, I had a blast with the game, largely because the nature of Elder Scrolls is such that actually completing quests and story isn't a huge focus, so me never finding places I was supposed to go didn't really interfere with playing.

It just means I never got even close to finishing any of the main or faction questlines.

PrimeBeef

I agree with the OP. Too much hand holding. Yes, I think the PoI, fast travel, streamlined quests, VO dialogue, highlighted areas on maps/minimaps for where to quest are just bad for open world games. Read the quests, go explore. I find these types of game more enjoyable that way.

SPCTRE

I love Morrowind but I don't have the time I used to. In the interest of saving time i like the optional fast travel feature.
Pretty much my stance, yeah.

In a vacuum, I prefer the Morrowind style of navigation. In the context of life stuff happening and time restrictions, I'm often glad when I can fast travel.

KORNdoggy

no. it was akin to catching a bus. something far cry 2 did and it was equally horrible.

i mean, i get the appeal if you want to immerse yourself in moving from A-B every single second. but i have better things to do.

fast travel should be exactly that imo. not a case of travelling for 10 minutes to get to a designated travel point, to then get dropped off at another designated travel point to then travel another 10 minutes by foot to your destination. that's not fast. that's just tedious. i hate having to do it in reality, and i hate having to do it in games. just let me pick a point on my map and teleport to where i want to be.

Shengar

I know what you're trying to get across, and I'm fully sympathetic to it. But these thread will be filled by replies who pay no heed to the world design and heuristic cohesiveness of the game, preferring accessibility, convenience, and instant gratification masked with power fantasy. Immersiveness could only be achieved via high fidelity graphics you know?

Top Bottom