• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do map markers/icons kill exploration?

As with most things in life, the answer is probably somewhere in the middle. Yea, some games (mainly Ubisoft) def have too many markers but I don't feel like the correct answer is to then have no markers/guide at all. Really kind of need a balance.

I've always found it odd how many people praise Elden Ring for "no markers" , yet my entire time playing it, I felt like it was a Ubisoft game just done poorly and required me to put in more work for maybe a slightly better payoff. Yes, finding a cool area/reward without a marker is def more satisfying but that's not always the case when you're exploring. The game has repeat caves, bosses, reskined dragons etc. If I spent a couple hours to explore and only find copy/paste stuff from other areas, I feel that's a complete waste of time. Meanwhile if I were to play AC for example, I could just avoid the marker for a certain mission or area type.

I do think there are some games that pull off this balance. Fenyx as you mention, is great for this. You have landmarks that you can naturally find in the world and getting to them allows you to find other puzzles/challenges in the world. But if you ever got to a point where the exploration got dull you had a nap and markers as a backup so to speak. I think GoT does this really well to in a unique way. Just being able to have the wind guide you is pretty cool. Let's you freely explore the world but if there becomes a point where you stop making progress, just a quick swipe on the touchpad can nudge you in the right direction.

Top Bottom