• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth to include 1:1 scale rendition of the original world map

Draugoth

Gold Member
final-fantasy-vii-rebirth-release-date-announce-trailer-1-5-screenshot-1695231061632.png

In a Press-Start interview with the Director – Naoki Yamaguchi, this ambition was clearly explained. Hamaguchi admitted that what his team did was change the World Map from the Original FF VII into a 1:1 scale world for Rebirth. This means that all the dungeons, all the cities, and everything in the world of Final Fantasy VII is now located in the same space, a continuous map system.

Speaking of that world map and that expanded play space, is that something that’s all interconnected or is it more of a world map system where you can travel to different regions at any time?

Hamaguchi:
That’s a great question, that’s something I really wanted people to ask me. What we’ve done is we’ve taken the world map from the original Final Fantasy VII, but we’ve created it all in a one-to-one real scale. So all of the dungeons, all of the cities, everything in that world is now included in the same space. One seamless map.

Go_Ly_Dow

Impressive considering the amount of variety in the assets in FF locales.

In the Rebirth trailer you can see lush landscapes, forests, deserts, beaches, mountainous regions. Junon is artistically very different from the Gold Saucer etc...

Must be a mammoth task when you can't reuse many assets between different locations.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
This sounds awful TBH. The distance from Midgar to Junon should be something like the distance from Seattle to Los Angeles.

If they do it 1:1 like this, it’s going to feel like Junon is a 3 minute Chocobo ride away. Like Junon is a suburb of Midgar instead of being half a continent away.

Lethal01

This sounds awful TBH. The distance from Midgar to Junon should be something like the distance from Seattle to Los Angeles.

If they do it 1:1 like this, it’s going to feel like Junon is a 3 minute Chocobo ride away. Like Junon is a suburb of Midgar instead of being half a continent away.

Much prefer that to this to not being seamless or being some procedural starfield planet.
Give me a nice compact, pretend planet, please and thank you

Krathoon

Great. This is going to be more like Final Fantasy 14, but without the zone loading. It is all one big zone that is streamed in.

More like the scale of an MMO. I was hoping that they did this.

Now, will we be able to go back to Midgar? I assume it is locked off or you are limited to a small part of it.

I bet they are using FF14's or FF15's engine for this.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

SE sure has come a long way since "HD towns are hard to do". If this is accurate/true, my hats off to the development team.

This was a PS3 era and early PS4 era problem when a lot of Japanese devs struggled for many reasons.

They were trying to make HD games with similar team sizes and with the same development time as their PS2 games despite the massive jump in visual complexity and detail. They also had awful game engines not fit for purpose and up to the task at hand. So they essentially spent 10 years trying to get to grips with it and to catch up.

Now UE4/UE5 and similar easy to use modern engines have become viable for Japanese devs. They've found companies across Asia to outsource the grunt work to and they've learned to only announce games once they've finalised the fundamentals of the project. So we can see the big improvement.

Skifi28

Having never played the original, what does that mean for part 3? If 2 is so expansive and includes the entirety of the map, perhaps there shouldn't be a part 3 at all if it doesn't take place in different locations? I have no idea, just thinking out loud.

Go_Ly_Dow

They've said you'll be going across the ocean to the other continent too, so not all on the first continent.

Nice. Now just get rid of all the filler and it'll be good.

I dont mind filler if its good and well balanced with the non filler lol.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Can't wait. Loved the first game, despite the "door-gate" and looking forward the second game. I really like alternative reality approach SE took.

Isa

Prepping myself for them Cosmo Canyon feels and OST. Can't wait to play with RED XIII again. I actually really liked some of the new characters and animations in the first, that dude with the motorcycle was a fun time, I can't wait to see what they have in store for this one.

Pagusas

Elden Member

Please see your self out, we don't need your negative kind here.

So damn happy about this announcement, this is exactly what I wanted from this FF7 project.

Last edited:

Zheph

I agree

As far as Square ⬜ Enix is concerned, I'll already have my hands full with the likes of Front Mission 2 Remake and Star Ocean 2 Remake... And the comes Rebirth. :(
Yeah I am kinda worried for February 2024 but Rebirth will be top priority for me

I was really hoping for that kind of scale once we get to the world map and I can't believe they are actually delivering it and it looks and sounds as good as that

RagnarokIV

So basically this confirms the first one felt cheap because it was partly salvaged following a failed outsourcing job.

Krathoon

I assume they are just going to unlock another part of the map in the third part and update the previous map.

Like the third game will have more of a complete map with some Midgar parts.

the_master

Do tou want to slog through a 2 day chocobo trip to the next location?
What would be the point to that?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Much prefer that to this to not being seamless or being some procedural starfield planet.
Give me a nice compact, pretend planet, please and thank you
I don’t get why “seamless” is a good thing in this case. The cool thing about old school JRPGs with a world map was that they created the illusion of being a big globe-spanning adventure. It’s a good thing that Kalm and the Chocobo farm are presented in full 1:1 because that’s where the interesting shit happens, whereas we don’t need the same level of detail for every inch of grassland in-between.

Not to mention, the more “in-between” terrain they add, the more they’re going to try to fill that area with stuff to do in order to justify it. Open-world game design usually sucks, and Square-Enix definitely sucks at it.

Guess we’ll see how it turns out, but 99% chance they’re just going to fill it with bullshit busywork.

Knightime_X

SE sure has come a long way since "HD towns are hard to do". If this is accurate/true, my hats off to the development team.
"HD towns are hard to do" when the tech wasn't available at the time.
Procedural texture generation and the likes makes to much easier to develop and produce.

My question is, can you reenter midgar in the 3rd installment?

Last edited:

Krathoon

They probably can A.I. generate towns using the 2D art from the original game. Don't know if they are that advanced.

StueyDuck

Cutscene fodder.
well from the very very very quick flash we have seen so far, the car segment in the trailer i feel will be on rails but wider, like a race track in a racing game or those joining segments on the hoverbike in the OG jak n daxter.

for the highwind though when we get there, i'm imagining starfield cutscenes, it flies up, loads then you seen it landing where you quick travel to

Last edited:

Crayon

All right, this is getting hard to wait for. Feel like a dork cuz I like to exercise patience lol. Then again, it's great to have something once in awhile that makes me feel all the anticipation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom