• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake Rebirth | February 6 State of Play | OT | Tifa got Bazookas

Will you watch the State of Play?

• Yes!

Votes: 65 61.9%
  • No, i don't want to spopil myself

Votes: 40 38.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tg89

GOTY?

Certainly not, but I do think this will be received far better than FF16, and hopefully drives home the point, to SE, that this is the type of FF the fanbase wants.

What's exciting is we're in uncharted territory narratively, so it's really a new game now.
Eh if it delivers it’s certainly the early lead for GOTY. I can’t think of anything else announced that would be clearly ahead (assuming that also delivers).

Nintendo is the wild card for me, depending what they have in store for the Switch 2 launch.

tmlDan

GOTY?

Certainly not, but I do think this will be received far better than FF16, and hopefully drives home the point, to SE, that this is the type of FF the fanbase wants.

What's exciting is we're in uncharted territory narratively, so it's really a new game now.
I don't get, after that, how this can't be GOTY worthy?

What else is coming out this year that is close? honestly, there aren't any other high caliber games that look GOTY level like this does.

Eh if it delivers it’s certainly the early lead for GOTY. I can’t think of anything else announced that would be clearly ahead (assuming that also delivers).

Nintendo is the wild card for me, depending what they have in store for the Switch 2 launch.
Agreed.

With such an early release, in the year, there's little competition, so yeah, it's a defacto contender.

I was thinking by the time EOY rolls, but even then 2024 doesn't have titles that really stand out as being GOTY caliber.

FF16 was a goty contender tho?

insulting donald trump GIF by Mashable

Pejo

Well at least they're not even pretending to stick to the original story anymore. I'll see what Mr. Nomura's wild ride is all about before stating any opinions about the new story.

A few quick takes:
  • Vincent/Cid look great in HD. I was surprised how instantly recognizable yet "fitting" they looked. Cid seems to be a whole new character personality wise though.
  • Minigames are in. Undetermined how fun/good they are, but at least they're in. Good.
  • Red in his human soldier outfit in 4K. Not something I expected to see in the trailer.
  • MAJOR plot changes just from trailer snippets.
Overall I think it was a great trailer, if not a bit too spoilery. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm glad they at least embraced the new story direction. Hope when it's all said and done, we get some of these assets and models exported into a straight 1:1 turn based remake of the original FF7.

Spider-Man 2 in many other years would be GOTY

Truth is, there's not much this year really. So I could see it.
We should wait to see what the summer brings/reveals. Other than Suicide Squad this has been a great year so far. Even Granblue Relink turned out to be a pleasant surprise in quality.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa
We should to see what the summer brings/reveals. Other than Suicide Squad this has been a great year so far. Even Granblue Relink turned out to be a pleasant surprise in quality.

Nothing big enough tops FF7:R for the first half of the year in terms of name recognition and likely quality. I'm starting to think Sony may not have any big 1P exclusive in the fall. But I am hoping for something from AstroBot since it's been 4 years.

There are some good games though, Steller Blade, Rise of Ronin, Helldivers 2 all look pretty great.

Last edited:
Nothing big enough tops FF7:R for the first half of the year in terms of name recognition and likely quality

There are some good games though, Steller Blade, Rise of Ronin, Helldivers 2 all look pretty great.
I’m just promoting caution because I feel that FF7R fans may be blindsided by something big. That’s why I’d rather wait before calling it.

We don’t know if there will be another BG3-situation, and if it does happen…if you thought Sony/Spiderman fans were mad about BG3, I can only imagine the vitriol if something else gains critical appeal and traction fast over FF7R.

EDMIX

I'm hype, ya'll hype lol

but....its time for us to media block and enjoy all the surprises on that sweet day 1 playthrough. Taking even a peak at this, with the travel and world building and amazing character art, this is going to be a treat for sure!

MikeM

I caved. Downloading the demo. Note that you get free stuff in the real game for completing the demo (kupo charm, survival set).
Also, the demo is two parts with the second part being available on Feb 21st.

K2D

Banned
I’m just promoting caution because I feel that FF7R fans may be blindsided by something big. That’s why I’d rather wait before calling it.

We don’t know if there will be another BG3-situation, and if it does happen…if you thought Sony/Spiderman fans were mad about BG3, I can only imagine the vitriol if something else gains critical appeal and traction fast over FF7R.

If Rebirth is to Remake, what The Empire Strikes Back is to A New Hope, I would expect Rebirth to be a GOTY favorite..!

Honestly, fans of CG cutscenes won

This'll be me being a broken record yet again, but it doesn't seem like there were a lot of CG shown, but when there is it is very obviously CG.

I those few instances it looks baad for me: the character close-ups, especially of Cloud, do not look good.

Still. I'm hundred percent onboard. I'm not going to be upset by 5 minutes of footage out of the 40-60 hours of main game.

Last edited:

saintjules

Max is showing his demo playthrough of his preview from the other week. Looks like Junon region. Obviously spoilers there too but if you don't care for that, check it out.

Played the demo in graphics mode and wow this is a looker! It also seems super locked in and smooth in its frame rate which is good. Very impressive all around!
I switched to graphics mode from performance and....yeah no way I was gonna play that way. Everything was jarring.

Last edited:
My media blackout continues, I already know this will be my GOTY frontrunner, no interest in spoiling it for myself. Final Fantasy for life! ⚔️

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I played this game when it came out. But watching this rebirth direct I could argue I remember nothing about FF7.

Neolombax

I'm not that interested in FF7R Rebirth to begin with. Played FF7R when it became free for PS Plus and didn't leave that much of an impression. But the State of Play showed a lot of interesting things. Varied biomes, new gameplay mechanics. It already seems so much better than FF7R. Look forward to play the demo once I get back from work.

MaKTaiL

Played for about 1h and a half. Overall liking it pretty much. The only issue I have is with the camera placement (objects behind me often block my view which is annoying) and the weird lighting transitions between areas (too dark most of the time).

I just watched the state of play - did they change the graphics style slightly? It seems in some ways graphically inferior to the first… maybe that’s just having played all these new gen games at this point tho.

Top Bottom