• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Run 10M+ downloads Day 1, over $4M revenue, biggest Appstore launch ever.

3x as much as Pokemon Go on 1st day.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/16/13982844/super-mario-run-first-day-downloads

You know, just some facts for the "no one is talking about this game, won't even touch Pokemon Go which was way more popular at launch" utra confident folks running rampant in the other threads, so eager to dismiss and put down this game.

Nope. Best $10 I ever spent in the AppStore, fantastic game with a ton of replay value.

UPDATE: Number might be 3.5M.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/12/16/13985380/super-mario-run-downloads

UPDATE: 5 MILLION!

http://variety.com/2016/digital/news/super-mario-run-5-million-downloads-1201944212/

(Can a mod change thread title from 2.8M to 5M?)

UPDATE: 10 MILLION!

Update: App Annie sent us a bit more data after this story ran. The company estimates that the game had more than 10 million downloads on Dec. 15 worldwide and brought in more than $4 million. They also noted that the game had 20 million pre-registrations (people who clicked on the Notify button in the app store) prior to its release.

Super Mario Run became the top ranked game by downloads in 60 countries shortly after launch, according to the company.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
but its 10 dollar ?

Edit:

Nevermind - thought this article had a source for Paid transactions.
Just downloads, still big but less impressive since its free to start.

Lothars

So it being downloaded that much is impressive, do they list numbers on how many people bought it? I would be more interested in that because with it being IAP. I would be interested in the sales.

EVH

The peolpe is raging over the payment, but I guess that was expected. By the way, Pokemon Go had a step by step launch across countries, Mario Run was launched in lots of countries today.

Nice to see Nintendo getting this kind of hits.

killroy87

Man, I really think this will help the Switch. Look at the boost that Go gave Sun/Moon. I'm starting to believe the rumor of Switch launching with Mario instead of Zelda is as much a strategic move instead of a required development move.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Just reinforces that people would love to play Nintendo games, just not on Nintendo's terrible hardware.

Strider

Not surprised at the number of downloads... And despite the fact a lot of people are put off by the fact it's $10 after the short demo this game is still going to do well.

It's a "Free to Start" game. It does cost $10 but they let you play the first 3 levels unlimited times. I knew this going in and I've already spent the $10. It's every bit as polished as any other Nintendo game. It's great!

Nzyme32

Completely expected, and I really don't know why the folks so eager to put it down and claim it couldn't do so well. It's mario. Tons of folks are happy to get it just on that alone. I look forward to grabbing the android version

The Hermit

After the first month I wonder what will be the ratio of purchased/downloaded.

I expect 5%

This. I want the games, just not their outdated and overpriced hardware.

Nintendo WILL lose their identity if they leave their "underpowered&overpriced" hardware. If you like how Nintendo is today it's because of that.

The irony is that their success on mobile games only makes them stronger in keeping their own ecosystem, so yeah they aren't going anywhere.

Top Bottom