• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 player pulls off 100% pro drums combo in brutal mode on Rush's 2112

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The track 2112 is over 20 minutes long. On Brutal mode, the notes disappear shortly after appearing at the top of the track. Pro drums adds in separate cymbal notes to coincide with the drum notes. He managed it while live streaming on Twitch as well!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnJPEbX9FtI

EDIT: He also managed to 100% Through the Fire and Flames on brutal pro drums in a livestream a month or so back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DduIYV78b0c

Ridley327

Despite the massive rest break, this is still one tricky song to FC with all the goofy fills that are in there, and Grand Finale is an especially merciless section to end the song on. Nothing but praise for being able to do this in Brutal mode.

SFenton

This is impressive, no doubt, but TTFAF is more impressive from an endurance standpoint- 2112 is still impressive because of the length and overall need for great memory, but so long as you mostly memorize it (which is pretty much required for Brutal FCs) I can't really remember all that much about it being too difficult.

(I can 99% gold star it on PRO Drums, not that I'm especially great...)

That said, Rock Band is still seeing some really insane FCs. FWIW, the TTFAF chart was patched on guitar recently and it was only re-FC'd a few weeks ago. Just yesterday someone FC'd one of the last in-FC'd RBN songs, which was also nuts!

dayum. this reminds me of the time a friend of mine did tom sawyer for highschool talent show. Dudes technically amazing, even got into berklee, unfortunately couldnt afford it though.

anyways sick vid

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
This is impressive, no doubt, but TTFAF is more impressive from an endurance standpoint- 2112 is still impressive because of the length and overall need for great memory, but so long as you mostly memorize it (which is pretty much required for Brutal FCs) I can't really remember all that much about it being too difficult.

Yeah, I linked to his TTFAF 100% run in the OP.

mreddie

tumblr_mcor6lRS461qfpib3o4_400.gif

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
14 minutes in "Alright, this is a legit run now". I'm impressed you can take so many breaks in the rests and then just turn it back onto full concentration when the drums kick in again

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
As a musician this is known as "learning the song" lol.

It's impressive that he 100%ed it but the fact that it's in brutal mode doesn't mean much unless he'd never played it before and was just sight reading.

So if you gave him a real drum set, could he legitimately play the entire song?

Because that is kind of cool.

That's what he's doing. He's playing on a real electronic drum kit.

SFenton

So if you gave him a real drum set, could he legitimately play the entire song?

Because that is kind of cool.

Yeah! Moving from Rock Band to a real kit is surprisingly easy, especially from Pro Mode. There are intricacies in the charting you'll pick up (e.g. Open hi hat is typically on blue) and the hardest part is learning nuance and technique.

Can't watch the 2112 video (mobile YouTube days it's unavailable) so I watched the TTFAF one instead.
Holy shit! I didn't know such a mode even existed. Amazing!

It's a shame that the crowdfunder for the PC version didn't make it. I'd love to play Rock Band 4 but I don't wanna buy new instruments for PS4 or an Xbox One to be able to use my old 360 instruments.
I mean I could theoretically buy a PS3 controller add-on for my Ion drum set but those seem to be brutally rare somehow.
I just wanna play drums anyway.

Tapejara

Can't watch the 2112 video (mobile YouTube days it's unavailable) so I watched the TTFAF one instead.
Holy shit! I didn't know such a mode even existed. Amazing!

It's a shame that the crowdfunder for the PC version didn't make it. I'd love to play Rock Band 4 but I don't wanna buy new instruments for PS4 or an Xbox One to be able to use my old ones.

You can use a bunch of old instruments on the PS4 version of RB4. My drumset and second guitar are from the old PS3 RB1 kit. Harmonix has a chart showing which instruments are backwards compatible: http://forums.harmonixmusic.com/discussion/258920/the-rock-band-4-instrument-compatibility-chart

You can use a bunch of old instruments on the PS4 version of RB4. My drumset and second guitar are from the old PS3 RB1 kit.
I only have Xbox 360 instruments and to my knowledge they don't work on PS4. I may be wrong of course. That list you posted always confused me on that part as it's never made 100% clear whether I could use them on PS4 or not.
Edited my post for clarification.

FyreWulff

Someone also just did Free Bird 100% FC on Brutal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsLpSuoCXF4&feature=youtu.be

Brutal is really fun to play. I can't pull off 100%s consistently yet but it just feels awesome to do well on a song almost on an instinct level.

Brutal mode rewards you with crimson stars instead. I think they supplant gold stars if you earn them, though I can't remember for certain.

Same as Gold in terms of points needed to get them. Brutal and normal scores are currently completely separate, though.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
saw the video's length, figured there was talking/celebrating. Don't know this rush song, but come on...what is that, like an 18 minute song?

Accoun

What kind of drum kit is that? And how do you connect that to the game?

It's an electronic drum kit. You connect it to a so-called drum brain that actually makes sound and often has MIDI capability. And Harmonix released MIDI kits for RB3 so that you can connect your keyboard or e-drumkit,

saw the video's length, figured there was talking/celebrating. Don't know this rush song, but come on...what is that, like an 18 minute song?

20 minute song. :p

Somewhat common in progressive music.

This was fucking great.

EDIT: Beaten like hell. How I didn't see the reply before me I don't know.

SFenton

Np. The midi adapter worked for keyboard and guitar on rb3 and still works for drums on ps4. It might work with the xbox One legacy adapter but I'm not sure.

There's two legacy adapters for Xbox One:

1) Wireless- works with your old wireless drums and guitars. No Lips mic support, no vanilla 360 controller support.
2) Wired- the MIDI adapter works here, and ION Drum Rockers also work here.

...however, the wired adapter appears to have been discontinued after one month of production, so if you didn't get one...

FyreWulff

how is it humanly possible to read the way brutal mode only shows the notes for a fraction of a second?

You don't. You have to know the chart and get familiar with it. The flash of the notes at the top more or less remind your muscles what's coming up.

For instance, I can play Warning on Brutal. It actually gets HARDER if I try to specifically think about what I'm trying to play.

What helps is that Harmonix has very consistent charting. Notes on the guitar tend to always be the same note in the song (ie, if it's charted as an Red/Orange chord, it will always be Red/Orange whereever it shows up in the song)

Top Bottom