• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How in the World Has Conker: Live and Reloaded Not Received an HD Port/Remaster?

Was talking to a friend of mine about good looking Xbox titles so I ended up firing up the remake of Conker on the Xbox and the game still looks fantastic at 480p and plays just as well. I understand why Rare chose to go with the 64 game for Rare Replay for nostalgia but it's a damn shame that, even with the additional censorship, the better playing/looking version of the game is the one left behind.

Maybe if the Voodoo Vince remaster (though their involvement is pretty minor at best in that project) does well enough MS would look to other titles to restore but for now we'll just have to look to bullshots of Live and Reloaded and wonder...

2708_2005-05-19screen6_large.jpg
2708_2005-05-19screen8_large.jpg

20110217044606650146.jpg

Baushwab-Big-Bollacked-Boiler-conker-6691468-1024-768.jpg

Nicky Ali

That game aged so well; it still looks great to this day.

Actually on second thoughts, Conker's fur looks a bit weird now. Everything else is good though.

Remake the good version instead.

We already got a HD port of the original game and it was rough to go back to; that 64 game has not aged well. Live and Reloaded wouldn't need another remake to be good. A straight port with a couple touches (like the removal of censors) would be A+ material.

GOOCHY

My opinion might be a minority opinion but that game wasn't any good right from the word go. Silly quips and a few swear words here and there doesn't make a game any good.

SalvaPot

Live and Reloaded was terrible compared to the original, I hated hated hated this port. The only thing it has going for it it that it looked beautiful.

Live and Reloaded was terrible compared to the original, I hated hated hated this port. The only thing it has going for it it that it looked beautiful.

How so? The original always seemed to get put on a pedestal but going back to it in Rare Replay was a chore. Sure there is loading and additional censorship in the remake but I'd gladly take those over the mess that is playing the original game nowadays.

Because we have the better version of it playable in Rare Replay

How so? The original always seemed to get put on a pedestal but going back to it in Rare Replay was a chore. Sure there is loading and additional censorship but I'd gladly take those over the mess that is playing the original game nowadays.

There's also the fact that Live & Reloaded is missing several of the modes that made the N64 version the best game ever.

So let's see

Original
-Playable on Xbox One in Rare Replay
-Uncensored
-All original content

Live & Reloaded
-Not playable on Xbox One
-Censored
-Lacks several multiplayer modes
-Cheats removed

Hmmmmm

My opinion might be a minority opinion but that game wasn't any good right from the word go. Silly quips and a few swear words here and there doesn't make a game any good.

The Haunted House did though.

Conker pioneered 3rd person over the shoulder gameplay years before RE4 and Gears had it. That alone makes it a classic.

Live & Reloaded
-Censored

Hmmmmm

Wait, people actually play Conker for the multiplayer?

Judging Conker: Live & Reloaded in that way would be like saying Star Fox 64 3D is inferior to the N64 version because

-Not Playable on Wii U
-Different Voice Lines
-Lacks most of the multiplayer modes from the original

There's also the fact that Live & Reloaded is missing several of the modes that made the N64 version the best game ever.

So let's see

Original
-Uncensored
-All original content

Live & Reloaded
-Censored

Hmmmmm

I can't speak to the multiplayer side of each as I never had a chance to play it in either version but I do see some love for Live and Reloaded's multiplayer here and there. I understand it lacked a lot of the crazier modes which is a shame but online support (well, at least at the time) is still a nice addition.

If the censored script was amended, would people lighten up to a re-release of this game on Xbox One, or are there other reasons people dislike it? I always thought it looked like a lovely remake. Kind of gives me OoT/MM3D vibes looking at it now.

DUDE

I can't speak to the multiplayer side of each as I never had a chance to play it in either version but I do see some love for Live and Reloaded's multiplayer here and there. I understand it lacked a lot of the crazier modes which is a shame but online support (well, at least at the time) is still a nice addition.

It didn't just lack "a lot of" the crazier modes, they were all completely removed and replaced. The multiplayer in L&R is nice and all but why not have it in addition to the old modes?

i played the multiplayer with my friends for a few days

it was awful
Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad!

If the censored script was amended, would people lighten up to a re-release of this game on Xbox One, or are there other reasons people dislike it? I always thought it looked like a lovely remake. Kind of gives me OoT/MM3D vibes looking at it now.
They removed all of the original multiplayer modes so I doubt it. The censorship was only one part of why people weren't too happy about it.

I mean the game is called LIVE and Reloaded because they wanted to focus on the Xbox LIVE multiplayer. They did this by... removing all the old, unique modes and replacing them with just the one.

Conker's BFD multiplayer modes: 7
Conker L&R multiplayer modes: 2

keidashxd

So let's see

Original
-Uncensored
-All original content

Live & Reloaded
-Censored
-Cheats removed

Hmmmmm

Well, to be fair Live & Reloaded had ONLINE multiplayer, in case you forget on purpose...

And people is asking for it because is not playable on One (obvious), if it were playable this list should be meaningless... so why include it in the list? Isn't it the whole purpose of this list?

Well, to be fair Live & Reloaded had ONLINE multiplayer, in case you forget on purpose...

And people is asking for it because is not playable on One (obvious), if it were playable this list should be meaningless... so why include it in the list? Isn't it the whole purpose of this list?

They did a great job with that online multiplayer by taking out the 7 modes from the first game. ):

The thread title asks, why hasn't Live & Reloaded been ported/remade for Xbox One? The answer is, because the better version of the game is already available on the Xbox One.

If both games were available, the lists would not be meaningless, they'd just look like this:

Conker's BFD
-Uncensored
-7 multiplayer modes
-Cheat codes

Conker L&R
-Censored
-2 multiplayer modes
-No cheats

The original still wins.

Now, if they ported L&R to the Xbone and put back all the original multiplayer modes and took out the censoring, then we'd be talking!! I'd buy that game for sure.

The thread title asks, why hasn't Live & Reloaded been ported/remade for Xbox One? The answer is, because the better version of the game is already available on the Xbox One.

That didn't stop Microsoft from having both Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo Anniversary playable on the 360, or Nintendo with the original Metroid and Zero Mission on the Wii U eShop.

They did a great job with that online multiplayer by taking out the 7 modes from the first game. ):

If both games were available, the lists would not be meaningless, they'd just look like this:

Conker's BFD
-Uncensored
-7 multiplayer modes
-Cheat codes

Conker L&R
-Censored
-2 multiplayer modes
-No cheats

The original still wins.

Now, if they ported L&R to the Xbone and put back all the original multiplayer modes and took out the censoring, then we'd be talking!! I'd buy that game for sure.

It is a shame about those multiplayer modes but those lists are missing one very important bullet point.

Conker's BFD
-Runs and plays terribly.

Conker L&R
-Runs and plays fantastically.

All of those points you make are moot when compared to this. You can have all the cheats, dirty words and game modes you want but if it's wrapped up in a game that is frustrating to play in 2016 I'll gladly give all those pluses up for a version that still plays great today.

That didn't stop Microsoft from having both Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo Anniversary playable on the 360, or Nintendo with the original Metroid and Zero Mission on the Wii U eShop.

Exactly, there's plenty of room for both titles on XB1/PC.

G0523

The ironic part is that Grabbed by the Ghoulies got an HD remaster instead of this for Rare Replay. Playing Conker in widescreen would make it so much better. Shame that it was released in 4:3 ratio both times it was released.

I don't even care if we get a 480p port. Make it widescreen, dammit!

True, true. I won't pretend I'm not biased against L&R, Conker's BFD is one of my favorite games ever and IMO Live & Reloaded took it and shit it all up. As far as I'm aware Halo CE and Zero Mission didn't remove a bunch of stuff and make the game worse but correct me if I'm wrong, I STILL haven't played Halo or Zero Mission ;__;

I mean, when you tout your platform as being more mature and for older gamers and it has all the shootbang violent games, and then you port over a Nintendo game and censor it, red flags go up all over the place. But again the censoring is just one point on the trident of failure.

I'm trying to be at least a little objective and keeping the "why it's not worth it" list with non-opinions and just stuff they actually cut or changed for the worse, because personally I hate a lot of the changes they made to the single player campaign too, as well as hating Conker's gloveless redesign. But at the same time if they did port over Live & Reloaded and put back all the original content from the N64 version I'd be there day one. My friends and I would bring our N64s to school so we could hook them up in the Bio Lab during our lunch breaks to play Conker and Smash, having Heist and the rest of BFD's multiplayer be online would be awesome.

It is a shame about those multiplayer modes but those lists are missing one very important bullet point.

Conker's BFD
-Runs and plays terribly.

Conker L&R
-Runs and plays fantastically.

All of those points you make are moot when compared to this. You can have all the cheats, dirty words and game modes you want but if it's wrapped up in a game that is frustrating to play in 2016 I'll gladly give all those pluses up for a version that still plays great today.
Conker runs and plays terribly in Rare Replay!?

Genuine question, I've been going through it very slowly (I have an enormous backlog and since I've already played most of the games in Rare Replay I've been taking my time with it) and haven't gotten to Conker yet. I know it ran like shit on the N64 but we're not comparing the N64 game to Live and Reloaded, we're comparing the Rare Replay version. If it still chugs that is hugely disappointing, I thought I'd heard all the N64 games run at at least 30fps ):

So let's see

Original
-Uncensored
-All original content

Live & Reloaded
-Censored
-Cheats removed

Hmmmmm

Microsoft should remaster the original.

Dunkley

Honestly it really surprised me it wasn't part of Rare Replay alongside the original.

Grabbed By The Ghoulies got a remaster and Trouble in Paradise got packaged alongside the original Viva Pinata despite being basically a plus version of that, so why the heck no Live & Reloaded alongside of the original too?

The BFD multiplayer was fantastic and fun split-screen multiplayer. L&R was some squad online bullshit that wasn't the game I bought originally.

G0523

Genuine question, I've been going through it very slowly (I have an enormous backlog and since I've already played most of the games in Rare Replay I've been taking my time with it) and haven't gotten to Conker yet. I know it ran like shit on the N64 but we're not comparing the N64 game to Live and Reloaded, we're comparing the Rare Replay version. If it still chugs that is hugely disappointing, I thought I'd heard all the N64 games run at at least 30fps ):
No. It runs just fine. There's no slowdown at all. There are some odd moments where you hear Conker and Birdy talk about the controls and they don't match up with what is on screen but that's not a big deal. And the camera can be kind of annoying since the right analog stick is substituting the C buttons, and you can't change them, but other than that it pays just fine.

None of the 64 (emulated) games run at a locked frame rate. There was no Conker in the digital foundry comparison but it definitely felt similar to the 64 game. Baring performance the controls (specifically anything to do with shooting) is very rough compared to L&R.

Blast Corps, Jet Force Gemini and Conker's Bad Fur Day are all capped at 30fps, while Killer Instinct Gold tops out at 60fps - metrics in line with top-end frame-rates seen on the original N64 versions of these games. However, performance is limited by the original N64 code and the quality of the emulation. Both Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini take hits into the mid-20s under load, with more complex scenes and alpha effects responsible for the drops in frame-rate. Gameplay isn't too badly affected in Blast Corps, but the resulting judder intrudes more noticeably on Jet Force Gemini gunplay, where quick responses and accuracy play a more fundamental role.

No. It runs just fine. There's no slowdown at all. There are some odd moments where you hear Conker and Birdy talk about the controls and they don't match up with what is on screen but that's not a big deal. And the camera can be kind of annoying since the right analog stick is substituting the C buttons, and you can't change them, but other than that it pays just fine.

Ah thank god. So then Dancrane was just being a punk!

Conker's BFD
-Runs and plays just fine
-Uncensored
-7 multiplayer modes
-Cheats

Conker L&R
-Runs and plays just fine
-Censored
-2 multiplayer modes
-No cheats
-Ran over your favorite pet with a tank

I think the solution is just for Rare/Microsoft to port Live & Reloaded and put back the uncensored audio and original multiplayer. Then everyone's happy!

None of the 64 (emulated) games run at a locked frame rate. There was no Conker in the digital foundry comparison but it definitely felt similar to the 64 game.

That doesn't say anything about Conker being affected but at the same time it's still disappointing to hear. At least none of them run as poorly as they did on N64 I hope, I was really looking forward to playing through Jet Force Jemini again eventually, I haven't played that game since it first came out and.. I don't think I ever actually beat it, either. Fucking Tribals.

That doesn't say anything about Conker being affected but at the same time it's still disappointing to hear. At least none of them run as poorly as they did on N64 I hope, I was really looking forward to playing through Jet Force Jemini again eventually, I haven't played that game since it first came out and.. I don't think I ever actually beat it, either. Fucking Tribals.

Sure but there is no reason to think that Conker would be exempt from those issues. You just have to pop Rare Replay in and you'll see that performance is not a locked 30 like G0523 is implying. Here are some other impressions from a quick search.

If I knew beforehand that Conker's performance was going to be so shitty (no pun intended), I would have just said port over Live and Reloaded. Grabbed by the Ghoulies really runs amazingly well-- perhaps the #1 standout of the collection?

None of the Banjo games are 60 fps, and n64 games like Conker (and Jet Force maybe? Haven't tried it yet) can drop a lot of frames and are not stable at 30, though the original n64 releases might have performed like that too.

I hope they release a patch that improves n64 emulation performance. I've seen retroarch with whatever core they use for n64 emulation allow you to do that so it should be possible.

Polygons are sharp and the UI has large chunky pixels. It looks way nicer than DK64 on Wii U but the frame rates seem the same as what you'd find on a real n64.

_____

Because it doesn't make sense to remake a remake.

Give us a sequel instead and I'd be all over that.

Remaster in the sense it is the same game but running at a higher resolution with maybe some small fixes too. Not anything in terms of scope like a remake.

Sure but there is no reason to think that Conker would be exempt from those issues. You just have to pop Rare Replay in and you'll see that performance is not a locked 30 like G0523 is implying. Here are some other impressions from a quick search.

Ughhhh that sucks ):

I mean, I was able to have an absolute blast with the N64 version so for me I doubt it'll be that bad but that's still such a bummer.

Ughhhh that sucks ):

I mean, I was able to have an absolute blast with the N64 version so for me I doubt it'll be that bad but that's still such a bummer.

It's not unplayable by any stretch (well, coming from someone who survived completing Jet Force Gemini on a 64 last year) but it's a shame Rare Replay wasn't able to correct the issues inherent with that game. It's why I think Live and Reloaded would make a great case for a remaster from a company who doesn't seem to know what to do with the brand. I know nothing of the technically hurdles a remaster would have to overcome but I think it would be a great way to have a "win" for that series.

I_D

Wait, people actually play Conker for the multiplayer

The N64 version got more playtime from my friends and me than Goldeneye and Perfect Dark combined.

Live and Reloaded was a serious letdown after playing the original.

To this day, I've yet to find a game that nailed asymmetric gaming so perfectly as N64 Conker.

Head.spawn

You think you want it, but it'd be all the people in this thread and maybe five other guys buying it.. playing it for a day or two, then going back to whatever you were playing last week.

Pick up Rare Replay for your nostalgia.

What makes Conker on the N64 great ist that it looks like your typical Rare game from that time but what you get is completely different.
L&R looks great, but it kind of destroys that feeling and it lacks heart.
Also the speechbubbles in L&R suck big time.

Conkers BFD is a much rounder package, I mean, it´s starting with the boxart:
86058-conker-live-relunsfj.jpg
vs.
51z7mcjsp8lypsba.jpg

Conker needs to be played on a real N64 side by side with Banjo, DK 64 and Diddy Kong Racing, thats the place where it belongs.

Also a Remake doesn´t make sense, because all the movie references are outdated for todays youth.

weekev

Banned
Because it doesn't make sense to remake a remake.

Give us a sequel instead and I'd be all over that.
Fucking amen. Fuck Microsoft for what they have done to a series with some of the biggest potential of any IP in existence. I really hope Yooka Laylee launches Playtonic Ina big way so Ninty can take them in house, give them abig budget and make chestnut the crude chipmunk, a spiritual successor to Conker.

PSqueak

Banned

Judging Conker: Live & Reloaded in that way would be like saying Star Fox 64 3D is inferior to the N64 version because

-Not Playable on Wii U
-Different Voice Lines
-Lacks most of the multiplayer modes from the original

If you never played the Heist mode, you missed out big time.

Top Bottom