• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Media’s Favorite ‘Millennial’ (Dan Nainan) Is 55 Years Old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makonero

MFmRHmk.jpg

Last week, it happened again. This time it was Forbes, smack dab in the headline.

”Millennial Dan Nainan Left Intel To Make His Millions Entertaining Others With Comedy."

Millennial Dan Nainan has been the go-to millennial in a whole lot of news stories in the past year. He was 35 in an AP story that appeared in the Chicago Tribune about undecided voters on Nov. 6, two days before the election. A few weeks later, he was 35 in a Vocativ story about Obama voters who wound up voting for Donald Trump.

Then, there it is on paper: a Maryland traffic court case from last year. ”Failure to display registration card upon demand by police officer." Daniel Nainan of New York City. Date of birth: May 1961.
And then, for good measure, there's a Washington, D.C., Metropolitan Police Department incident report for the time a sprightly 32-year-old Nainan punched then-Daily Beast reporter Josh Rogin after he made fun of his set at a D.C. comedy club in 2013. (Rogin and I have never met, for what it's worth.)

Under ”exact age or range" it says this: 52. Nainan pleaded guilty and served probation.

A Virginia speeding ticket in the database Lexis-Nexis says Nainan was pulled over for speeding in 1987. The ticket is so old that it's not retrievable anywhere but on archived public-records searches. Fairfax County General District Court only retains records for resolved traffic cases for 10 years, according to both a FCGDC spokesperson and Virginia law.

Millennial Dan Nainan would've had to have been a 6-year-old with a speeding ticket.

”He's been called that several times," said Rob Maher, who has been sparring with Nainan for years now, of Nainan being described as a millennial. ”He's obsessed with being 20 years younger than he really is."

Millennial millionaire Dan Nainan is 55 years old. He doesn't really even look 35. If you Google Dan Nainan, it will say his age: 55 years old. There's even a website called ComedianDanNainanIsOver50YearsOldAndHisFollowersAreFake.com. Last week, one of the world's most successful international comedians, Russell Peters, called him a ”sociopath that is a 55yr old man child" on Twitter. Nainan used to open for him.

It is not a well-kept secret.

More at the link: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...ite-millennial-is-a-55-year-old-comedian.html

This dude is insane. I can't believe how many newspapers don't even bother to do the very basic fact-checking of googling a dude's age. Ridiculous.

Lijik

There were times, Robinson said, where it got out of hand. Robinson claims Nainan called his bosses at his day job at one point to try to get him fired.
“I saw him. I made fun of him. I just made fun of the practice of what he was doing once. He went through a criminal history. He talked to my employers,” said Robinson.
“Then there was that email he offered to fight me to the death on the Isle of Man.”
That’s not a joke.
“Yeah, he gave places you’re allowed to legally fight to the death,” said Maher. “No, we’re not going to fight you to the death. By the way, my buddy has kids. He’s gonna fight to the death? Just be 55. It’s OK.”

This passage is wild

Makonero

This passage is wild

yeah, dude is a serial harasser

Ever since, Robinson has been on an infamous email chain featuring every comic who has ever slighted Dan Nainan.

“I’ve gotten, without exaggeration, 300 emails,” he said.

Sometimes the emails were only addressed to him. Sometimes they were to every comic, dozens of them, all lumped in together. At their peak, they’d come a few times per day.

The gist of the emails? Nainan would go down his rival comics’ tour dates and alert them to the much bigger room he would be performing at halfway across the world on the same day.

“He loves to say comedians are drunks and drug addicts, and he likes to champion that he’s a clean-living person,” said Maher.

Brakke

Banned
Read this earlier. Totally wild. "Getting emailed a list of places where it's legal to fight to the death" is definitely a new goal in my life.

Never even heard of him. What exactly did he do other than lie about his age?

Why do you think we got OPs?

This guy is really... something

https://twitter.com/crulge/status/814684293087842308
(that's the exact same pitch, word for word, that he emailed the Daily Beast writer)

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/814900023179837440
When Dan Nanian was 51, he gave an interview discussing his recent 10-year high school reunion.
C08bP7kWIAAPRpP.jpg

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/814903586874335232
Forbes still has this 2015 article up where 55 year old Dan Nanian says "we, as millennials, don't have the same priorities as our parents"
C08eeQFXAAAhsgM.jpg

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/814899676809928705
In 2011, Dan Nanian claimed to be 29 in order to score an interview w/ a website for twenty-somethings. Dan Nanian is 55 years old.
C08a6oKXgAEqug1.jpg

The fact he routinely challenges people to fight to the death on the Isle of Man is the least weird part of his whole story.

Fucking hilarious, and very strange.

I don't know why I would think that those trashy "Millennials think like this!" articles would do some background checking on their subjects, but I guess it's not surprising in hindsight.

The funniest thing is how funny he isn't.

I saw 2 minutes of his stand-up and it was just like... "haha here's a reference to something that's popular at the moment" and... "oh look at that, he replaced a story about a bomb going off but replaced it with Samsung Note 7 instead".

Like, fuck me, it was 2 minutes that was tedious as hell.

Of course, he also had to make a reference to his Indian/Japanese heritage like... fifty times during it.

It seems likely that his traumatic brain injury left him with some long-term emotional problems that have led to this behavior.

Watching this guy absolutely bomb performing for Tesla is one of the cringiest things I've ever seen.
This is what happens when he performs for an audience that has half a brain.

On a whim I googled some of his sets, all the videos list like "in front of 3000 people!" and you just know most of this shit is from his PR team.

Boem

So apparently this guy sends e-mails to comics who call him out or joke about him (which is where the fight to the death-stuff and the bragging about how much money he's making comes in): http://brianmcguinness.tumblr.com/post/8108071490/dan-nainan-is-the-worst-human-being-ever-the

Absolutely fascinating/insane read. He's a 55 year old, claiming he's 29, with the mind of a 13 year old.

If that brain injury story was real, I'm guessing that did some damage. This is not normal behavior.

At one point someone sends him a link to an article destroying his performance, saying how the audience heckled him off stage, and he shrugged it off with 'forgot about it, didn't matter, I make millions and fly to Dubai for gigs'.

One e-mail later he's talking about how he's never been heckled and that the earlier article doesn't exist and that everybody is lying to him.

Also, all the Dubai acts he's talking about (6000,- for 10 minutes, free first class flights, free hotels, etc) are apparently fake and nobody in the industry has really heard of this guy.

Sblargh

Banned
“That guy went on and posted a whole bunch of lies,” he said. “I contacted an attorney. I was seriously thinking of suing him for everything he had. He didn’t have any money. The ones who criticize me the most are the ones who are the least successful.”

I said I understood.

“The only way I’ve gotten attention is with this, of all things. I friggin’ hate this industry so much and the people in it. I’m flying first class around the world. Despite what these people say, I’m a happy guy. I’ve done all of this with nobody’s help. I did it all myself,” he said. “The only time that anyone has paid attention to me is when something like this happens.”

He's a baby boomer all right.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I thought you guys said he wasn't funny.

Between his gloating emails, invitations to fight to the death at the Isle of Man and a 50 something pretending to be a millennial it's clear to me the dude is hilarious.

Boem

Tell you what, I really hope his sitcom gets made. That could turn out to be a true spiritual successor to The Room.

Real talk though, "Having someone threaten you and list places where you can fight to the death" is now pretty high up on my life goals.

THAT is an enemy.

The Tesla show is one of the least funny and awful "comedy" sets I've ever seen. "He said he had to climb Mount Everest. Mount Everest isn't even in India! Get it?" Wow. The silence is brutal.

And people thought this dude was in his mid 30s? Jesus. I don't see how anyone who saw him on that stage was fooled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom