• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How long until Nintendo replaces the 3DS with a 5" Switch?

How long until Nintendo replaces the 3DS with a cheaper 5" Switch with fixed controllers?

I'm guessing the announcement is e3 2018 with a fall or holiday release.

Probably as soon as they can get that down to a sub-$200 price point.

They'll want to sell those to families who want each of their kids to have a system to take with them.

Dystify

We don't know? Nintendo hasn't said anything about this so until they do, what's the point of this?

I think Joycons are a thing to stay on Switch. I'd bet there's still space for the current Switch to get price cuts which will then allow for other Switch systems similar to DS Lite or XL.

georly

They won't do fixed controllers, I don't think, since the whole point of the switch is the versatility and the joycons.

Unless switch fails miserably, then maybe, but then you disable certain portions of the library, which would be bad.

I suspect the switch will get hardware revisions, just like every nintendo portable has had, but I also suspect they'll all support joycons and the dock, as well. Possibly even a vita-tv-esque device, but even that would still have the joycons.

They can always make a smaller or a larger revision as well, with different joycon sizes to accomodate (switch mini with mini joycons).

Hasney

Not happening with X1 unless they get some real efficiencies. NVidias chipsets have been way too hot for the phone form factor. Even downclocked.

SerTapTap

Fixed controllers

That'd be a disaster. Maybe if detached joycons had no unique usages, but there would be multiple games that are entirely unplayable (1 2 switch) or unplayable in multiplayer.

Nintendo overcomplicated the switch already, I don't think they're going to introduce a not-quite Switch that doesn't switch and doesn't play all the games. The 2DS at least played all the games.

Part of the reason for the size could be battery/internals/cooling too, it might not be feasible to shrink.

Theonik

When the 3DS dies completely. But they probably shouldn't wait that long. They want/need to move all their development behind Switch, and just letting the 3DS die is an easy way to just lose those customers to mobile like they ended up losing the Wii.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
We dont know.

My guess would be by the time we get Animal Crossing Switch it will launch with a smaller Switch. So Summer/Fall 2018.
But the Switch is already a 3DS replacement

Not at 300usd. Switch is a premium device, while the 2DS/3DS starts at 80 bucks right now.

Switch is a platform, and its software is designed with power variability in mind. In my totally meaningless opinion, this is a guaranteed box down the road. As is a TV-only model that can push more triangles.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I'm hoping they can manage a 4" clamshell design. Something about the size of the New Nintendo 3DS. Nigh perfection, that one is.

Why would they? Why would they make a smaller sized Switch that's only 1 inch smaller?
Seems weird, I believe the system itself is around as big as a 3DSXL closed with the only issue being the removable joycons which are pretty important.
The Switch will be replacing the 3DS as is. Don't get too worked up over them saying 3DS will continue getting support, they just want 3DS to keep selling for awhile while replacing the Wii U

Atheerios

That'd be a disaster. Maybe if detached joycons had no unique usages, but there would be multiple games that are entirely unplayable (1 2 switch) or unplayable in multiplayer.

Nintendo overcomplicated the switch already, I don't think they're going to introduce a not-quite Switch that doesn't switch and doesn't play all the games. The 2DS at least played all the games.

Part of the reason for the size could be battery/internals/cooling too, it might not be feasible to shrink.

Who said it wouldn't play all the games? It will play all the games. That's what Iwata wanted: an unified platform.

There's no reason this hypothetical fixed handheld couldn't also use tabletop mode and connect to Joy-Con, even if it doesn't come with them out of the box.

SerTapTap

Who said it wouldn't play all the games? It will play all the games. That's what Iwata wanted: an unified platform.

1 2 switch is completely impossible without removable joycons and unplayable in tablet mode. Guessing so will any game that requires free-hand motion.

There's no reason this hypothetical fixed handheld couldn't also connect to Joy-Con, even if they don't come with it out of the box.

Adding layers and layers of complexity to what's already nintendo's most complex console seems like something even nintendo wouldn't do. Plus one $80 joycon surely instantly negates any price benefit a smaller fixed Switch would have.

Theonik

Iwata wanted unified architecture, not necessarily one platform. So something like Smash 3DS would be the norm but the result wouldn't completely suck.

Yeah, absolutely.

I would say probably around 18-24 months from now we'll see something like that. Perhaps you can dock it in the original dock, in order to avoid customer confusion, but maybe the joycon have to removed first or something like that? It would have to be able to dock, otherwise it wouldn't be able to be called a Switch, among other things.

But especially for Japan, where consoles are dying and they love 3DS, Nintendo will need to make a more compact, portable-friendly Switch in a year or two if they want to keep the market of portable-lovers happy.

Caelus

The Switch itself is not as un-portable as people make it seem. It's not pocketable at all without detaching the joy-cons, that's for sure, but toss it in your backpack and you're good to go.

But I do definitely think they will make a unit that lacks detachable joy-cons and therefore only has HD rumble and gyro-controls, as well as a smaller screen and (slightly) better battery life.

Best part of that is that it can still "Switch", as all it would need is a USB-C port and be able to fit in the dock. Do it, Nintendo!

asagami_

Banned
The best thing from the Nvidia collaboration + mobile technology will be future revisions. I hope a Pocket or Lite version with a smaller screen when the technology is more efficient so battery life will be better.n

I'm assuming that it's running the same games in this scenario, right? If so, it'll use NVidias tech and they've struggled to get any of their chipsets working at that size. Tegra 4 came close, but it still throttled so hard.
How about a future more efficient chip?

PetrCobra

I believe they'll wait for the Switch to become cheap, then release a new, more powerful Switch. That's when they'll end 3DS support. Then they'll repeat that to always have a cheap version and a new, shiny expensive version of the same product line. All new games will have to support both of the currently available versions, but beyond that, legacy support won't be mandatory.

At least that's what my mind came up with yesterday.

We dont know.

My guess would be by the time we get Animal Crossing Switch it will launch with a smaller Switch. So Summer/Fall 2018.

Not at 300usd. Switch is a premium device, while the 2DS/3DS starts at 80 bucks right now.

3DS will be six years old in a month, so yeah it's cheap as dirt and has an enormous library right now. Nothing launches cheap. 3DS started out as a premium device. Telescopic metal stylus, charging cradle, the OG 3DS was pretty nice. Too bad the first six months had literally no quality software imho.

bones123

Seeing that the entire gimmick of the Switch is the ability to take the JoyCons off and use them separately or with a grip on the TV, I'm gonna say never. Don't expect it. It's their new home console, they already dominate the handheld market with the 3DS, why would they sabotage themselves?

Reckheim

Now that's a switch option I could get behind.

I don't think it will ever happen unless switch somehow becomes a success.

Top Bottom