• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Controversial at first, but now I have a feeling that Scorpio is a new gen for MS...

Insane Metal

Gold Member
... rather than an upgrade like the PS4 Pro.

Some people have always said that was the case and I thought people were just overreacting to the whole thing. But now I actually feel like this is the case. Apparently, the Scorpio is 'beefier' than what it was announced as being. Also, the lineup dwindling...

The upgrade being as big as it is could mean it actually is a new gen.

Jonnax

There needs to be Scorpio only games.

People aren't really demanding it tbh.
And that would be risky for Microsoft as well as against the idea of their unified platform of Windows 10.

DNAbro

They could try and pitch it as a new generation, but that would also imply exclusives for it. It becomes risky cause then you are burning devs and consumers.

nynt9

Given how their current gen is going, they really need it.

But I think MS are going more for a Surface model for Xbox and gaming, as evidenced by their Windows Store/UWP efforts.

GamerJM

Banned
I don't think it was originally supposed to be this way, but I think it'll end up like that. Sort of like how the PS1 started out as just an add-on to the SNES but became a next-gen console.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
I agree with you, OP.
And I think it will have esxclusive games (maybe not the first year but soon).
I think Microsoft is lying saying is not.

Chris1

It's not..

It might be the cheap entry level into next gen (or whatever comes after Scorpio), but Scorpio itself isn't a new gen.

Robso

They could try and pitch it as a new generation, but that would also imply exclusives for it. It becomes risky cause then you are burning devs and consumers.

Yep, this. I think it's just an upgrade, personally. Albeit, probably, a very big one.

KageMaru

That's a great way to piss off all those Xbox One S owners.

Even if Scorpio's specs are slightly beefier than announced, it's not a large enough leap to be considered a next gen console.

So they would basically piss away some good will from their users and put themselves at a disadvantage with their competitor.

Yep 100% going to be a next gen Xbox. New CPU, more RAM, a massive jump in GPU power, hard to see how it won't be at this point.

Also with news that Xbox One has only sold 26 Million at this point, the cancellation of Scalebound and certain games like Crackdown 3 still without a release date this late on, it seems likely MS will want to change their direction and distance Scorpio from Xbox One and go for a fresh start.

hawk2025

Not a particularly popular opinion and Microsoft has made it clear this is not the case, but I sure hope something changed the past 6 months to make it so.

Let's move on from Xbox One and start fresh with a powerful machine and hopefully a brand-new, slick, snappy UI.

gaming_noob

... rather than an upgrade like the PS4 Pro.

Some people have always said that was the case and I thought people were just overreacting to the whole thing. But now I actually feel like this is the case. Apparently, the Scorpio is 'beefier' than what it was announced as being. Also, the lineup dwindling...

The upgrade being as big as it is could mean it actually is a new gen.

Stinkles' beefier comment? He's not a good source for specs.

ghibli99

I agree. I think it has to be. Fresh start, don't get held back by current gen and confuse the market like the PS4 Pro did (even though I dig it). It almost feels like MS and devs are giving up on the XB1. If you don't like the few pillar franchises on the system, there's just nothing there.

There needs to be Scorpio only games.

Your assuming Scorpio will be a situation will you will see negligable differences in XB One games and Scorpio games like the PS4 Pro was with the PS4.

There is a MUCH bigger difference in performance of the One and Scorpio. MS is promising true 4K in all (Most?) games. If MS delivers and people can really see the difference, then Scorpio does not need exclusives.

What difference would it make? Most games are multiplatform and no 3rd party developers are going to develop any of their popular games for Scorpio only and ignore the massive PS4 and Xbox One user base. So it would still be getting enhanced ports of Xbox One or PS4 games whether they like it or not. If they make their exclusives Scorpio/PC only they are leaving money on table by cutting of their Xbox One base with no guarantee that the users will follow them.

I see no way how trying to start a new generation would make sense under the current market conditions. I

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
We'll see at E3. If there are Scorpio exclusive games then yeah, it's their next gen machine.

To be clear I mean won't work on xb1 exclusives. Whatever's on Scorpio will almost certainly be on Windows 10 as well.

Expected the future pivot as soon as they started talking about the specs last year. You'll get something like "a generational leap that couldn't be ignored" or something.

"Xbox One games past, present, and future are forward compatible thanks to the x86 architecture."

Crackdown 3 being the showpiece title for it.

It kinda just writes itself.

The TF jump is just too much to be ignored IMO. You don't do that and then hamstring it like the PS4 Pro. Otherwise, what's the point?

It would be a smart move. The XBO is beyond saving. That said, it would be severely underpowered compared to what Sony would launch in a few years as a PS4 successor.But it's possible that we are moving away from the concept of simultaneous console generations. And with this I do not mean the oft-repeated idea that generations will die as we move to incremental upgrades on a shared platform. I mean that we may be moving into a future where console manufacturers will replace old hardware with a new generation of hardware, but not necessarily all at the same time.

They also need more exclusive NEW IP's, as a life long Xbox fan I'll freely admit I'm starting to get bored of the tired old IP's. Halo, Gears and Forza are great and all but MS desperately needs new IP IMHO. Scalebound never interested me, ReCore wasn't very impressive and Sea of Theaves looks... boring. Crackdown is still largely a mystery outside of the pre-rendered E3 stuff from last year.

notaskwid

It would be a smart move. The XBO is beyond saving. That said, it would be severely underpowered compared to what Sony would launch in a few years as a PS4 successor.But it's possible that we are moving away from the concept of simultaneous console generations. And with this I do not mean the oft-repeated idea that generations will die as we move to incremental upgrades on a shared platform. I mean that we may be moving into a future where console manufacturers will replace old hardware with a new generation of hardware, but not necessarily all at the same time.

The only time there was an almost simultaneous release of new gen consoles was this gen.

Maxinas

If they have plans to gain support from markets outside the US, sure why not. Otherwise no point. The Xbox brand as a whole is dead beyond US and what little support it has in Europe.

Their best move would be to make it play Steam games, but I can't see that ever happening. I don't think they'll make any absolute exclusives for it, but could perhaps play a selection of PC titles that XBONE can't, like the vr games for starters.

That'a a great way to piss off all those Xbox One S owners.

There's always people who say this for every rumoured successor system ever.

I don't think Scorpio only games are happening at least in the first few years, but I could see them leaving that option open once next gen is closer. I don't think there's much benefit to any third party or even MS to limit themselves to Scorpio. You'd have to have a game that could only be done with that amount of performance, that for some reason couldn't be scaled down to Xbox One.

VDenter

Banned
Honestly i think it is i mean sure you will get games that you can play on the Xbox one as well for maybe about a year or so before Microsoft fully commits to exclusive Scorpio games they kind of honestly have to considering how much more powerful the Scorpio is compared to Xbox One and having to make these cross games between the two systems will only restrict them in what they could do with the power of Scorpio. Why go through the trouble of creating such a powerful system if you can not utilize it?

Wollan

The simple determining factor to this is if games will release with 100% unique binaries (and likely with many unique asset packages) for Scorpio and do so in great numbers (not just a handful of releases). Often this should also mean Scorpio exclusive games. Otherwise it's bound to the XB1 baseline. Seems like the wrong time to reset the baseline with the imminent huge boost in CPU power in Ryzen with many years plateau to follow (and it will be going against their own words).

Mark Cerny is positioning whatever comes out of Sony next (PS5) as a fresh baseline (likely the Ryzen/7nm/HBM2/Navi 2019 Grey Hawk APU).

KageMaru

People forget and forgive easily.

Yeah we can see how easily people have forgotten and forgave MS for the XBO DRM fiasco.

We'll see at E3. If there are Scorpio exclusive games then yeah, it's their next gen machine.

We already know there will be VR exclusives. Do we count those?

5X Power is not enough to be a generational leap???

If we're looking at the GPU, it's closer to 4.5X.

Regardless, the leap will be smaller than the jump from the 360 to the XBO and many considered that jump in power underwhelming. It would be a joke of a next gen console IMO.

RoKKeR

As corny as it sounds, I think MS is done thinking about the gaming hardware space in "generations." It's clear they are trying to create an ecosystem and platform that spans all types of hardware, but is still unified under one brand. We've seen them do this with Win10 and Xbox is up next, with early steps in this area with the Play Anywhere initiative and the publishing of first party titles on PC.

I don't think the Scorpio is going to be a "new gen" for Xbox. I also don't think (even though they've said it will be) it will be another "Xbox One" either. I simply think it's going to be the "Xbox." The latest, most powerful platform in Microsoft's gaming ecosystem that ties nicely to Windows 10 and Xbox One. Initially, this will mean the XBO will get the same games as Scorpio, but over time I'm sure their development efforts will shift to focus on Scorpio as the "platform" shifts towards better hardware. (while still hanging on to the XBO...ala cross gen 2013/2014 style)

I mean, this has been in the marketing pitch for the Scorpio from the start. "Beyond generations." It's clear they are taking this more seriously than an incremental upgrade, but I also don't think they are just going to cut off the XBO and charge on ahead with the Scorpio. There will be a balance struck, and it will all feed in to the idea that "Xbox" is no longer a hardware platform, but a gaming platform on a larger scale.

*shrug*

Wouldn't be much different that the pivot recover and salvaging operation that Nintendo has pulled with the Switch. Frame it as another pillar of it's own just in case, and if it takes, make it the new pillar. Can't see a reason not to test the waters.

AudioEppa

Not a particularly popular opinion and Microsoft has made it clear this is not the case, but I sure hope something changed the past 6 months to make it so.

Let's move on from Xbox One and start fresh with a powerful machine and hopefully a brand-new, slick, snappy UI.

I gotta ask this question, say Scorpio is a fresh new start. Do you think it will actually matter.?

And by that I mean with the people outside of serious Xbox fans. Say they dropped this in 2018, how much of a impact could that have against Sony titles like god of war or possibly last of us part ll being released around the same time. I understand MS will they have the leverage of marketing better hardware, but if the consumers are not interested in the titles compare to upcoming Sony games. How could MS fight that? From your perspective.

Top Bottom