• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phone app is not needed for switch matchmaking.

There's a thread about the network details for usf2, but considering the shitstorm that erupted over Reggie saying matchmaking would be through the app, I thought this deserved to be pointed out.

http://gematsu.com/2017/01/ultra-street-fighter-ii-details-network-battles

USF2_01-24-17_003.jpg

USF2_01-24-17_004.jpg

There are four types of Ranked Matches:

Quick Match – Searches for players able to fight without setting any conditions.
Custom Match – Set conditions and search for a player that you want to fight against.
Create Match – Create a lobby where you set the battle rules and such, and wait for the players that you want to fight against to join.
Friend Match – Searches for players that you can fight against now from your registered friends list.

This does not show any friend or invite private match features on the screen so it's unknown how that is handled. But this does confirm that general online play and matchmaking is done on the console and not through the app.

nynt9

This image doesn't answer the questions people had? We were talking about parties. Surely you can play against randoms solo queue without the phone.

Fdkn

The whole thing was about party chat and matchmaking with friends / lobbies, not about needing the phone app to literally play online

So yeah, the app seems to be intended to replace those OS level functions like party chat and lobbies. Not in-game matchmaking or online with friends.

Which is what the more reasonable people gathered from Reggie's quotes.

Still doesn't confirm of deny what we originally thought in regards to actual social features being limited to the phone app.

Always thought something was just lost in translation when he mentioned matchmaking. Would be too stupid, even for Nintendo.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
If matchmaking is still in-game, then setting up lobbies with my phone actually sounds like a great feature

Hari Seldon

I haven't been following the details of the switch news. Do you still have to pay the online fee even if you don't want to use the app and just do solo queuing?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
They really need to hold a direct to fully detail and outline the system UI and online services in the like next two weeks. They can't go less than month before release and not show what the hell is going on.

So yeah, the app seems to be intended to replace those OS level functions like party chat and lobbies. Not in-game matchmaking or online with friends.

Still a bit Puzzling why Nintendo would create a app to replace that stuff though.

Are half of you guys even reading the post or just looking at the picture, deciding you don't know Japanese, and just responding?

Create Match – Create a lobby where you set the battle rules and such, and wait for the players that you want to fight against to join.

mothball

It'd be next to impossible to not integrate it into the games themselves. It'd be too dumb to understand that but you never know with GAF's hyperbole machine.

if only you weren't talking about the company that once had separate friend codes between the system and between individual games

So basically, using online like how it worked on Wii U - no app required.

Creating a party with friends outside of the game, and using party chat - app required.

Is that it?

13ruce

Banned
A big part of people thought it would be for matchmaking as a whole because Reggie mentions matchmaking instead of lobbies. Thats why that one thread blew up. I myself also was in that camp so it's nice to see the phone app is not required to play online with randoms or friends.

Being able to make lobbies with the app does sound good imo and i don't mind using my phone for chatting i whatsapp call people sometimes anyway with gaming.

Sponge

Banned

Fine by me since I use Discord to talk to my friends while gaming, even when I'm playing my PS4.

Toki767

I'm curious if matchmaking in USF2 is going to be like Street Fighter V where you create a name independent of your system name.

A big part of people thought it would be for matchmaking as a whole because Reggie mentions matchmaking instead of lobbies. Thsts why that one thread blew up. I nlmyself also was in that camp so it's nice to see the phone app is not required to play online with randoms or friends.

Being able to make lobbies with the app does sound good imo and i don't mind usig my phone for chatting i whatsapp call people sometimes anyway with gaming.

My god we have a poster who can admit what he thought and what he now sees?? Is this real life? Lol

TS-08

Creating a party with friends outside of the game, and using party chat - app required.

Is that it?

That's what it appears to be.

And yes, several posters in that other thread thought Reggie was referring to the basic meaning of matchmaking that the OP addresses, so this thread is helpful and I'm glad it was made.

It'd be next to impossible to not integrate it into the games themselves. It'd be too dumb to understand that but you never know with GAF's hyperbole machine.

No one would have ever thought that a company would actually propose voice chat through a phone for a game console. You're basically assuming that a company making terrible decisions wouldn't make another one. A lot of people misconstrued what was being said, but at no point can Nintendo avoid responsibility for why.

Effect

Is that it?

Pretty much and it's what the official website implied but people saw app, listened to people that said app and lost their minds.

kIdMuScLe

I hope that by separating the voice chat from the console to the app lets you pick to voice chat to the game you're playing or chat to your friends list regardless of what you are doing

Top Bottom