• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

27 Minnesota Republican legislators sign 'profiteering from protest” bill (HF 322)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lime

https://tonywebster.com/2017/01/minnesota-republicans-profiteering-from-protest/

Twenty-seven Minnesota legislators—all Republican—have signed on as co-authors to House File 322, a bill that would allow government agencies to file civil lawsuits against individuals to recover costs of police presence and response, along with ”related legal, administrative and court costs," to any person convicted of participating in an unlawful assembly, to any person present at an unlawful assembly, or any person committing public nuisance. (I read the latter two as not requiring a conviction, but the wording is unclear.)

This is troubling. It's worse than criminalizing protest: it's profiteering from protest. It's unnecessary, imprudent, unconstitutional, and racist.

There's no question that protest is a sacred element of American democracy, and there's also no question that sometimes protest leads to public safety hazards. Protest is a First Amendment right; nuance and careful consideration of facts, circumstances, and liberties are required in how law enforcement prepares for, responds to, and protects (yes, that too) our right to protest. But HF 322 eliminates that circumspection, allowing government to use the power of the courts not through established prosecutorial means—where individual and direct culpability are considered—but rather through unbounded civil litigation.

The First Amendment does have boundaries, and some demonstrators choose to overstep them, usually through non-violent acts of civil disobedience. But the law already provides restitution as an available remedy to prosecutors: as part of a sentence, a judge can order ”...payment of compensation to a government entity that incurs loss as a direct result of a crime."

But it gets worse.

HF 322 allows civil litigation for a person's mere presence at an unlawful assembly. If you're a journalist documenting the scene of a notable civil rights protest, you can be sued for money by police. If you don't defend yourself in court, the government will obtain a default judgment against you, and your wages can be garnished, your bank account levied, and your property seized. If you don't get sued right away and later write a story that—for example—irritates the elected sheriff, surprise: you can be sued possibly up to six years after the protest, because HF 322 establishes no separate statute of limitations.

HF 322 is also a risk to Fourth Amendment rights. The bill concludes by saying, ”a civil action may be commenced as is any civil action." And as in the case in most civil actions, the parties to a lawsuit have broad discovery rights. Law enforcement could try to use an HF 322 civil lawsuit to snatch up hard drives and email accounts to find other defendants to sue, or develop ‘intelligence' on protest movements and the people within them.

These are the legislators:
minnesota-house-republicans-authoring-hf322-1024x817.jpg

NAACP statement:

Jason Sole, President of the Minneapolis NAACP wrote:

”The burdens of these restrictions would be disproportionately borne by people least able to pay large settlements. HF322 would give police departments a blank check to overreact to public protests. It would also provide an incentive to categorize peaceful demonstrations as ”unlawful assemblies" and to charge as many people and collect as much money as possible. In Minnesota, we don't sue sports fans for extra policing costs associated with events. We don't charge bar patrons an extra fee at closing time for increased police presence. Protecting the right to protest is part of the role of law enforcement, not something for which citizens are expected to pay extra."

// Mod Edit:

To be clear, the governor is a Democrat. This isn't a bill that has a free ride to passing.

JustRon

Neo Member
Link to the bill

Couldn't find a link in the article.

Section 1. [609.741] LIABILITY FOR RESPONSE COSTS.
(a) A person is civilly liable for public safety response costs if the person is convicted
of participating in an unlawful assembly under section 609.705, being present at an unlawful
assembly under section 609.715, or committing a public nuisance under section 609.74.
"Civilly liable for public safety response costs" means that the person is liable to a state
agency or political subdivision for costs incurred for the purpose of responding to the
unlawful assembly or public nuisance. A fine paid by a defendant from the same violation
may not be applied toward payment of the civil liability imposed under this section.
(b) A state agency or political subdivision that incurs costs as described in paragraph
(a) may bring an action to recover the civil liability and related legal, administrative, and
court costs. A civil action may be commenced as is any civil action.

EGM1966

Seems US may have to change the anthem. "Land of the free" may need to be dropped.

Of course it'll be guys like this that decide what's a lawful assembly and what's not and you can guess how that's going to go.

That all said cynically I presume this is going to get shot down surely? Or is the US really going to spiral so far away from the principles it declares underpin the country?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If protesters should pay for policing, shouldn't they be allowed then to hire some private police? Why should the state have monopoly over this if it's not going to be covered from taxes anymore? Free market!

so what qualifies as an unlawful assembly?

1st Amendment said:
Congress shall make no law ... abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

This will make Donald proud. If the government spends it's money he expects something back from the action they took. That is his mandate.

SaviourMK2

How many amendments do you think will be repealed by the end of the world?

My money is on all but the 2nd, because that would allow their publi sheep to commit executions on citizens who dare disagree with Leader Drumpf

RinsFury

Holy fuck, how long until other states take notice and pass similar laws?? Protesting is all we have left and even that is being taken away. Fuck all republicans.

Sorry America, but what is going on in your country. Appreciate it's one state, but WTF
Some people could tell this was the inevitable result. Since the end of WWII we've been pushing our worldview down the world's throat at gun point. Our bordeline nationalist rhetoric, anti-intellectualism, lax attitudes towards racism and self awareness (on a slew of issues ranging from criminal justice to foreign policy and social issues) has finally hit it's peak in Trump. I felt something terrifying back when McCain picked Sarah Palin as a running mate, but this is something that has been building up for decades and the blame lies mostly at the feet of Republicans, talk radio, fox news and Republican voters. Liberal elites may be a lot of things, but fascist isn't one of them.

Kyzer

Banned
republicans make no sense. so they love jesus but are against welfare and love freedom and small government but want to invade everyones privacy and have a police state with no freedom of press. the fuck tho

PopeReal

It is amazing that protesting is considered so anti-American now.

Unless you are white and Republican, then it is patriotic.

Here is your $50 speeding fine, and here is the $1200 enforcement recovery fee -- what you owe for the police car, the uniform, the training, the office space, the supervision, the computer systems, etc.

(calls 911) Fire!
Computer: "Per fire engine called out to your address we require a credit card that we can run a $5000 charge on to cover initial expenses. In the event the fire is false alarm there is a minimum call out fee of $1000, please enter your card number and then press #".

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I've lived in many countries and it's fascinating how we Americans are the most against protesting. It's shameful. I love the idea PDF protesting -- the common man joining for a cause. It's a huge part of American foundation yet today, it's considered despicable.

Bring back our unions.

It is amazing that protesting is considered so anti-American now.

Unless you are white and Republican, then it is patriotic.

Seriously. I bet these idiots have wet dreams about the Boston Tea Party and the American Revolution. Only their gods had recourse to better their lives. Black people, Native Americans, Women, LGBTQ+ people just have to eat whatever shit they decide to shovel without a complaint. I bet Christians will still be able to yell at people going into planned parenthood though without being afraid of a suit. Or KKK members will still be able to assemble at city hall. Or Westboro Baptists will still be able to picket the funerals of gay people.

Worst thing is moderate repubs who always talk about reaching across the isle and convincing people do jack all as shit like this gets proposed & passed by their party

As a Minnesotan what can I do to oppose this, the Twin Cities is a fairly liberal area with a lot of people who hate Trump, I'd hate to see their voice become silent.

As a Minnesotan what can I do to oppose this, the Twin Cities is a fairly liberal area with a lot of people who hate Trump, I'd hate to see their voice become silent.

Call your congressman, make concerted efforts to organize and rebel against this through protests or through organized groups spending day after day calling the legislators of the different districts to express their disatisfaction, donate to the ACLU because there's no doubt they've seen this and want to fight against it despite probably being spread thin with everything that currently needs to be pushed back against in this administration

Irminsul

Link to the bill

Couldn't find a link in the article.
I'm really not a fan of this bill, but I don't see how a journalist merely covering an event could be sued for money under this.

609.715 PRESENCE AT UNLAWFUL ASSEMBLY.
Whoever without lawful purpose is present at the place of an unlawful assembly and refuses to leave when so directed by a law enforcement officer is guilty of a misdemeanor.
(emphasis mine)

Journalistic activity certainly is a "lawful purpose".

The definition of an "unlawful assembly" is a bit vague in places, but nothing unusual as far as I see it:

609.705 UNLAWFUL ASSEMBLY.
When three or more persons assemble, each participant is guilty of unlawful assembly, which is a misdemeanor, if the assembly is:

(1) with intent to commit any unlawful act by force; or

(2) with intent to carry out any purpose in such manner as will disturb or threaten the public peace; or

(3) without unlawful purpose, but the participants so conduct themselves in a disorderly manner as to disturb or threaten the public peace.

I hope North American's enjoy your Maduro. The world is going to be screwed in a bad way soon. Start forgetting the past and enjoy your "Freedom" from now on.

I hate Trump

Vote for a Democrat for Governor in 2018. This will never become law if another Dem follows Dayton. Legislature doesnt have enough votes to override veto.

I'm fucking done being nice to moderate republicans because you have to be utter scum to still stand by a party that does shit this. So in closing, fuck republicans, the politicians and the base.

This is truly disgusting as fuck.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
so that Women's march, how much would have that cost
Good question. There were minimal arrests during that protest, so where would the money come from? The state tax payers?

Unless they are allowed to arrest anyone protesting, for money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom