• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOP Bill Makes Suing Cops For Civil Rights Violations Really Tough

cyress8

Banned
It would also treat assault on a police officer leading to bodily harm as a federal crime carrying a mandatory minimum of two to 10 years in prison, depending on if the harm was minor, “substantial” or “serious.” If a weapon was used during the assault, the charge would carry a 20 year mandatory minimum regardless of the harm inflicted on the officer.

Can't wait to be put in jail for 20 years because of a pocket knife in my back pocket. Such joy!

Zaphod

Can't wait to be put in jail for 20 years because of a pocket knife in my back pocket. Such joy!

Yeh, this pretty much can turn any interaction with local police into federal charges and a long time in prison if the officer present decides to escalate the situation.

GOP: Let's provide protection for cops to be as corrupt and vigilante as possible on the systematic level and make it far easier to discriminate

Also GOP: There's nothing wrong with our police system, all lives matter

I can't help but feel this is unconstitutional. Is it not true that rights don't magically vanish just because you are accused of a crime?

This is exactly the kind of shit America did to justify waterboarding, redefine a certain class of persons as individuals to which rights and protocols dont apply. Its really sinister.

Top Bottom