• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

54 alleged acts of rape (including 5 gang rapes)by Baylor University football players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kifimbo

Promoted by the football program:

A Baylor University graduate who says she was raped by two football players in 2013 sued the university Friday. Her lawsuit includes an allegation that 31 Baylor football players committed 52 acts of rape, including five gang rapes, between 2011 and 2014 -- an estimate that far exceeds the number previously provided by school regents. 

[...]

The lawsuit describes a culture of sexual violence within Baylor's athletics, in which the school implemented a "show 'em a good time" policy that "used sex to sell" the football program to recruits. A Dallas-area high school athlete, according to the suit, said former assistant coach Kendall Briles once asked him, "Do you like white women? Because we have a lot of them at Baylor and they love football players." 

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/bayl...lture-cites-52-rapes-football-players-4-years

Previous thread, from last year: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1303019

Slayven

I listen to a sports podcast and every week they talked about the fucked up shit coming out of there. Sound like hell on earth

Maxim726X

Death penalty (for the program) is harsh, but if it's not warranted here I don't know that it ever can be.

... Is it harsh?

If that claim is true, the school is literally pimping out students to football players.

That sounds like grounds for the death penalty, from where I stand.

Death Penalty for the football program, make sure nobody in charge of the university is still around, fine the school significantly and give the money to the victims.

Fine the NCAA as well, they should have implemented rules that protected the students on campus, instead of focusing on protecting the integrity (and profitability) of college football.

McDougles

Fine the NCAA as well, they should have implemented rules that protected the students on campus, instead of focusing on protecting the integrity (and profitability) of college football.

Man, you really don't know the NCAA, do you?

Profitability is priority one, and their jurisdiction relies on athletics. Not saying the NCAA isn't pure scum, but don't know how you can fine them for the actions of students beyond athletics when they have more than enough evidence of them saying "don't be despicable humans" to their athletes.

grumble

... Is it harsh?

If that claim is true, the school is literally pimping out students to football players.

It could be more that the school is highlighting that a lot of college girls are attracted to the guys on the football team. That isn't exactly pimping... but yeah the whole university education system in the US is a joke with regards to athletics.

... Is it harsh?

We had a school essentially tolerate child rape on school grounds and they got a slap on the wrist.

Kill3r7

Program should get the death penalty, but yeah I agree that after the Penn State BS, it probably won't.

Baylor would be smart to agree to a two year suspension. I guess then they would argue to the NCAA that it provided no competitive advantage on the football field and be reinstated.

Thaedolus

I don't know how the fuck Penn State escaped the death penalty but if it wasn't used then I doubt it'll be used here.

Maxim726X

It could be more that the school is highlighting that a lot of college girls are attracted to the guys on the football team. That isn't exactly pimping... but yeah the whole university education system in the US is a joke with regards to athletics.

I mean, you're correct in that the school wasn't hosting these parties.

But they basically sold sex to students, and it seems that the school is aware of these kinds of parties and uses it as a selling point. That's disgusting.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Don't doubt the fervent favour for football by the American public.

Combine that with the fact that we are in Trump's America now. I expect the whole team to get an invitation to the White House.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
That doesn't change the fact that a Baptist institution used sex to attract players

They also allegedly threatened to punish women who admitted to drinking at parties where they were raped in an effort to get them to be quiet about all the rape that happened at Baylor, while their head coach actively recruited rapists. Because that's the christian thing to do, obviously.

More than enough to justify canning the football program, but we all know they won't do it. Probably a short term bowl ban, some loss of football scholarships, or whatever weak bullshit they handed down to Penn State. Still turns my stomach whenever I see that Penn State is in a big game or getting some prime time TV spot. It'll be the same for Baylor now.

jfkgoblue

That doesn't change the fact that a Baptist institution used sex to attract players
To be fair, Baylor is basically a secular school now with them essentially cutting all ties to the church.

If this is true. The NCAA must impose the death penalty, this is a straight up evil program.

I listen to a sports podcast and every week they talked about the fucked up shit coming out of there. Sound like hell on earth

A local radio show has two mellow, chatty hosts and one of them went FIRE AND BRIMSTONE on Baylor, Starr, and the whole "selling their soul for football glory and money" a few months back as he has a 17yo daughter that is deadset on being a veternarian, and that made it extra personal to him thinking of what could happen to his child if Baylor was a top veternarian program.

I was nodding the whole time.

ryseing

And people still speculate whether Art Briles should get another college coaching job....

And there was a sizable portion of the Baylor fanbase that wanted him back. Fucking #CAB.

I really wish Matt Rhule hadn't gone there as I liked that guy but the program deserves to be burned to the ground.

They also allegedly threatened to punish women who admitted to drinking at parties where they were raped in an effort to get them to be quiet about all the rape that happened at Baylor, while their head coach actively recruited rapists. Because that's the christian thing to do, obviously.

Jesus. That's some BYU level shit.

FStubbs

Its not harsh at all. The program should be shut down. But they didn't do it with Penn State so no way it happens here either.

This. If Penn State didn't get the Death Penalty for feeding kids to a pedophile and covering up just how deep the rabbit hole went, Baylor won't either.

Apathy

I think I've read more disgusting stories today than any other day on the forums. Holy fuck the lengths these places will go for a fucking sport. It's college, it's supposed to be for an education not to idolize a fucking sport.

Cancel the program, get rid of coaches, and charge everyone that is remotely involved in this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom