• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evangelical University Hires Athletic Director Who Left Baylor Under Cloud

Status
Not open for further replies.
True or not, the fact that they would even consider the guy after the (continuing) investigation is shocking.

Liberty University, the largest Christian university in the world, uses religion as its calling card. The school’s mission is to “train champions for Christ,” and its website greets visitors with a strong declaration — “You Want a Christian University that Prepares You for Life. You Need Liberty.”

But many people— including Liberty students — began to publicly question the sincerity of the school’s devotion to Jesus when Jerry Fallwell Jr., the president of the university, heartily endorsed President-elect Donald Trump back in January, well before the primaries were over.

And now, Liberty’s latest move — the hiring of athletic director Ian McCaw, who formerly held the same job at Baylor University — makes its proclamation of Christian values feel like nothing short of a farce.

This is the same Ian McCaw who resigned from Baylor earlier this year amidst the school’s sexual assault scandal; the same Ian McCaw who was in the news just a few weeks ago when former Baylor Title IX coordinator Patty Crawford told ESPN’s Outside the Lines that McCaw specifically asked her if the football players could get immunity from sexual assault allegations; the same Ian McCaw who the Baylor Board of Regents says knew about a student athlete’s allegation of gang rape against five football players and did absolutely nothing.

https://thinkprogress.org/liberty-u...thletic-director-hire-f53b5a90013f#.1afdjci2a

jackal27

Banned
Liberty University's biggest priority is training up conservatives, not followers of Christ. Anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves.

Hiring this guy is an endangerment to their students.

ryseing

Liberty University's biggest priority is training up conservatives, not followers of Christ. Anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves.

Bingo. Reason I left.

My political beliefs changed drastically in my time there and I felt I was no longer welcome.

I think what really makes me sad about this is that before I lost my faith I saw a version of Christianity at my campus that was very loving, accepting, and life-affirming. I saw truly great people be truly wonderful to people around them, even when they weren't like them.
I saw what a real embrace of the faith could inspire people to be.

But I see stuff like this and it makes me sad, sad that a faith that can inspire goodness can be twisted this far.

Krejlooc

Banned
You think this is crazy? Apparently UH is going to talk to Baylor BOR to determine if they should give Art Briles a look or not for their coaching vacancy.

Slythe

As a graduate of this circus I agree wholeheartedly with this assessment.

I hate that my degree is from this school but I'm proud that I stuck out my four years and represented a different way of viewing things to them as long as I did. It's a pretty dense bubble.

Jeels

You think this is crazy? Apparently UH is going to talk to Baylor BOR to determine if they should give Art Briles a look or not for their coaching vacancy.

Ya the Tom Herman loss has hit us HARD. I can't believe Art is even up for contention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom