• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Obsidian confirms they're not making a new Fallout, fake news site problem

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I know a lot of people wonder if Obsidian is making a new Fallout all the time, and that there was a rumor floating around that they were. This is actually fake news.

Way more at the link about the site that keeps making up rumors for this kind of stuff to generate traffic.

Kotaku said:
You may have seen the news on your Facebook feed, or on the front page of Reddit's popular r/games subreddit: Obsidian is making Fallout New Vegas 2! This would all be well and good, except for the fact that they're not.

For the past 24 hours, a rumor has buzzed that Obsidian is developing a sequel to their popular post-apocalyptic game. The news has reached thousands of people thanks to forums and social media. It's also fake.

As Obsidian PR manager Mikey Dowling told me in an e-mail this morning: ”We've said plenty of times that we'd love to work on a Fallout again if Bethesda wanted us to, we just aren't at this time. Right now we're very focused on the Fig campaign to make our first ever sequel in Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire. Whenever a new Fallout comes around though, whoever is doing it, we all look forward to playing it!"

So where did this New Vegas 2 rumor come from? How did it get so popular? And why do we keep seeing so many fake stories about highly anticipated sequels to big games?

The answer to all of those questions is Fraghero, a website that appears to exist solely to game the algorithms of websites like Google and Facebook.

Source: http://kotaku.com/why-a-fake-fallout-new-vegas-2-rumor-wont-stop-spreadi-1791837529

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Whats the difference between rumors and fake news?
Who's the one posting it?

I'm completely ignorant about these kinds of business dealings, but allowing them to make a New Vegas sequel on the back of Fallout 4 seems like such a no-brainer to me, I'm amazed Bethesda doesn't work it out with them. It's printing money and fans would love it.

Some Nobody

Fake news has been a thing in gaming for years and we've all just let it go. When you see/hear "Kpopstarz" your eyes just glaze over.

Whats the difference between rumors and fake news?
Who's the one posting it?

Is this hard to grasp?

A rumor would, theoretically at least, be based in reporting. The writer genuinely believes that the information they're sharing is likely true. Typically, because they have a source.

Fake news is purely made-up nonsense and lies created purely to get clicks and generate ad rev.

RG0BS1U.gif

Swiggins

I'd kill for Obsidian to get another crack at the Fallout license, but in all likelihood we won't see another Fallout game for awhile.

I'm still carrying a torch for Fallout: New Orleans until then.

Given Beth's current state, I almost have to look back on NV as some sort of miraculous fluke. There's almost no way now that Obsidian ever gets another shot at Fallout.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Dammit I still hope that Obsidian is allowed to make another Fallout game in the future because Fallout 4 was such a collosal disappointment on so many levels it's not even funny.

Redd

Bethesda make it happen. Call Obsidian for the next Fallout so you can focus on the next Elder Scrolls.

We’ve had a spectacular track record with this source in the past. As you may recall we were the first to accurately leak Red Dead Redemption 2 details. Other Websites like Forbes even tried to make fun of us for it. They weren’t laughing very long.

Our source also accurately called The Last Of Us 2 reveal weeks before it dropped.

Reddit didn’t know whether or not to believe us. They were believers a few weeks later.

Rumors of Fallout: New Orleans set the internet abuzz last year, but our source tells us, it will actually be New Vegas 2.
With Uncharted 4 out of the way, all focus is on developing The Last of Us 2 now and fans have news to rejoice as a known industry insider has shared some rather promising news about the announcement of the game.

"Shinobi602"...

raw

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Is this hard to grasp?

A rumor would, theoretically at least, be based in reporting. The writer genuinely believes that the information they're sharing is likely true. Typically, because they have a source.
Fake news is purely made-up nonsense and lies created purely to get clicks and generate ad rev.
You're putting value in something that cannot be confirmed as true.

Also Kotaku is calling it a fake rumor, arent rumors neither true or false?
SNK is developing a new SamSho RPG.
Given the context and information you have at hand, is that a rumor or a fake news?

HAving said that, disregard this post, it was an offtopic question that has no place in the current conversation. Sowwy!

You're putting value in something that cannot be confirmed as true.

Also Kotaku is calling it a fake rumor, arent rumors neither true or false?

Given the context and information you have at hand, is that a rumor or a fake news?

HAving said that, disregard this post, it was an offtopic question that has no place in the current conversation. Sowwy!

That's the basics of how journalism works. I don't know what to tell you.

Complistic

I remembered recently that obsidian didn't get their bonus because they only got an 84 on metacritic. So when I saw what score fallout 4 got as I was browsing my library on steam yesterday I got a good chuckle out of it.

It was an 84

Gothos

The problem is not that sites make fake news, the problem is that other sites repeat them knowing it's bullshit just to generate traffic. All you had to do was use some common sense, read the whole report and it was obvious it's fake. But for many sites it was an excuse to write similar news with catchy title and who cares if it could be real or not....

Top Bottom