• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: Trump blasts Australia's PM over refugee deal, boasts about EC win in call

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadskin

It should have been one of the most congenial calls for the new commander in chief — a conversation with the leader of Australia, one of America's staunchest allies, at the end of a triumphant week.

Instead, President Trump blasted Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull over a refu­gee agreement and boasted about the magnitude of his electoral college win, according to senior U.S. officials briefed on the Saturday exchange. Then, 25 minutes into what was expected to be an hour-long call, Trump abruptly ended it.

At one point Trump informed Turnbull that he had spoken with four other world leaders that day — including Russian President Vladi­mir Putin — and that, ”This was the worst call by far."

Trump's behavior suggests that he is capable of subjecting world leaders, including close allies, to a version of the vitriol he frequently employs against political adversaries and news organizations in speeches and on Twitter.

”This is the worst deal ever," Trump fumed as Turnbull attempted to confirm that the United States would honor its pledge to take in 1,250 refugees from an Australian detention center. Trump, who one day earlier had signed an executive order temporarily barring the admissions of refugees, complained that he was ”going to get killed" politically and accused Australia of seeking to export the ”next Boston bombers."

U.S. officials said that Trump has behaved similarly in conversations with leaders of other countries, including Mexico. But his treatment of Turnbull was particularly striking because of the tight bond between the United States and Australia — countries that share intelligence, support one another diplomatically and have fought together in wars including in Iraq and Afghanistan.
”I don't want these people," Trump said. He repeatedly misstated the number of refugees called for in the agreement as 2,000 rather than 1,250, and told Turnbull that it was ”my intention" to honor the agreement, a phrase designed to leave the U.S. president wiggle room to back out of the deal in the future, according to a senior U.S. official.

Turnbull told Trump that to honor the agreement, the United States would not have to accept all of the refugees but only to allow them each through the normal vetting procedures. At that, Trump vowed to subject each refu­gee to ”extreme vetting," the senior U.S. official said.

Trump was also skeptical because he did not see a specific advantage the United States would gain by honoring the deal, officials said.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...a3bfb0-e8bf-11e6-80c2-30e57e57e05d_story.html

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I wondered when the LNP's indirect praise of Trump and the 'Trump effect' would blow up in their faces. How embarrassing. it's like a movie where people have to line up to coddle some brat teenager in office and he blows up because he's tired and wants a nap.

It should have been one of the most congenial calls for the new commander in chief — a conversation with the leader of Australia, one of America’s staunchest allies, at the end of a triumphant week.

Instead, President Trump blasted Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull over a refu­gee agreement and boasted about the magnitude of his electoral college win, according to senior U.S. officials briefed on the Saturday exchange. Then, 25 minutes into what was expected to be an hour-long call, Trump abruptly ended it.

At one point Trump informed Turnbull that he had spoken with four other world leaders that day — including Russian President Vladi­mir Putin — and that, “This was the worst call by far.”

Trump’s behavior suggests that he is capable of subjecting world leaders, including close allies, to a version of the vitriol he frequently employs against political adversaries and news organizations in speeches and on Twitter.

“This is the worst deal ever,” Trump fumed as Turnbull attempted to confirm that the United States would honor its pledge to take in 1,250 refugees from an Australian detention center. Trump, who one day earlier had signed an executive order temporarily barring the admissions of refugees, complained that he was “going to get killed” politically and accused Australia of seeking to export the “next Boston bombers.”

The friction with Turnbull reflected Trump’s anger over being bound by an agreement reached by the Obama administration to accept refugees from Australian detention sites even while Trump was issuing an executive order suspending such arrivals from elsewhere in the world.

The issue centers on a population of roughly 2,500 people who have sought asylum in Australia but were diverted to facilities off that country’s coast at Nauru and Manus Island in Papua New Guinea. Deplorable conditions at those sites prompted intervention from the United Nations and a pledge from the United States to accept about half of those refugees, provided they passed U.S. security screening.

Many of the refugees came from Iran, Iraq, Sudan and Somalia, countries now listed in Trump’s order temporarily banning their citizens entry to the United States. A special provision in the Trump order allows for exceptions to honor “a preexisting international agreement,” a line that was inserted to cover the Australia deal.

But U.S. officials said that Trump continued to fume about the arrangement even after signing the order in a ceremony at the Pentagon.

“I don’t want these people,” Trump said. He repeatedly misstated the number of refugees called for in the agreement as 2,000 rather than 1,250, and told Turnbull that it was “my intention” to honor the agreement, a phrase designed to leave the U.S. president wiggle room to back out of the deal in the future, according to a senior U.S. official.

Turnbull told Trump that to honor the agreement, the United States would not have to accept all of the refugees but only to allow them each through the normal vetting procedures. At that, Trump vowed to subject each refu­gee to “extreme vetting,” the senior U.S. official said.

Trump was also skeptical because he did not see a specific advantage the United States would gain by honoring the deal, officials said.

Also, this gem:

But even in conversations marred by hostile exchanges, Trump manages to work in references to his election accomplishments. U.S. officials said that he used his calls with both Turnbull and Peña Nieto to mention his election win or the size of the crowd at his inauguration.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...d_story.html?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.47097d22c343

LMAO

Hang Up on me if old.

EMT0

Banned
The Boston Marathon bombers were Russian nationals, you evil fucker. I can't do four years of this .____.

remz

And the libs were bragging about this deal like, yesterday. fuck i hate how they're treating the refugees like a football

UberTag

He really does seem to think he can just boss other countries around, doesn't he?
Can't wait until someone takes this madman's words at face value and responds.
They're just enabling his self-destructive bullying ways by humoring his threats and tantrums and attempting to carry on with business as usual.

By the end of February only Russia will be friends with the U.S., at this rate.
I'm fairly certain Israel will still like them.

RPGCrazied

I find it sad he has to bring up the election and crowd sizes months after the election. Talk about insecure. He really is going to say the wrong thing to one of these leaders and ruin our relationship with them. Ugh.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Soon the US will have no allies.

"I'll always have your back, Donny!"

Theresa-May.jpg

SpaceWolf

Banned
America rapidly tearing through all that international goodwill that they painstakingly amassed over eight years of the Obama administration like there's no tomorrow.

How the fuck hasn't anyone jumped in there and said: Stop this fucking madness or we'll remove you. Even the Republican party must have a line somewhere. This guy is pissing off every long term ally the US has over nothing.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
"I'll always have your back, Donny!"

Theresa-May.jpg
He'll turn on her soon enough when she stops kissing his ass.

Maybe this will encourage Turnbull not to treat vulnerable refugees like something that can be shipped off to be someone else's problem.

Every day I think to myself that this is the type of American President the right wing has been begging for. And most of his worst behavior so far are the exact same things that they projected on Obama yet he never actually acted this way.

Kvik

Bannon: all according to keikaku*.

Trump is like one of those cRPG character you created without dumping any points in Charisma, resulting in a fight at every single encounter.

How the fuck hasn't anyone jumped in there and said: Stop this fucking madness or we'll remove you. Even the Republican party must have a line somewhere. This guy is pissing off every long term ally the US has over nothing.

It's really, really, really important to Paul Ryan that poor people not be able to eat. If that means pissing off all of our allies, I suppose that's for the greater good!

Or something.

RPGCrazied

Every day I think to myself that this is the type of American President the right wing has been begging for. And most of his worst behavior so far are the exact same things that they projected on Obama yet he never actually acted this way.

Trump is basically a walking/talking youtube comment section.

UberTag

America rapidly tearing through all that international goodwill that they painstakingly amassed over eight years of the Obama administration like there's no tomorrow.
This isn't just 8 years of Obama-cultivated goodwill being shredded.
This is DECADES of goodwill.
Shame on any country that offers up troops to support whatever military action Trump fancifully sends his toy soldiers on.

Maximo

Turnbull is human garbage he will roll over for Trump, considering how Australia treats its refugees we are not much different to Trump.

This was his last call of the day, yeah?

I'm thinking that it's exhaustion, combined with his rampant bullying narcissism. Dude eats like shit and doesn't sleep, a whole day's work is gonna leave him cranky as hell. Just the attitude you want in the man with his finger on the button.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom