• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo Switch is a Month Away

Everyone excited?

I want to use this thread to discuss Nintendo's unique strategy with unveiling the Switch. The Switch was only first unveiled on October 20th, 2016. This was only to unveil the name and the concept of the hardware. No game announcements, pricing, preorder availability, or any other details were unveiled until January 12th, less than 2 months from launch.

This was an unprecedented move in our modern game industry, and despite the lackluster showing at the actual January 12th show, I think this strategy will definitely pay off. The hype seems to be palpable this time around, the Switch is sold out everywhere, and enthusiasm only seems to have grown day by day as we approach March 3rd.

What do you think, GAF? Should Microsoft and Sony follow suite with their next console reveals? Sony attempted something along these lines with the PS4 Pro, although the jury is still out on whether or not that was successful.

Neoxon

I'm slowly getting more hyped for the Switch. I went from psyched to whelmed & now my hype is slowly coming back. It's kinda like how my hype for Captain America: The Winter Soldier increased near its release.

Due to BOTW launching with the Switch, I haven't been this excited for something gaming related in years. I am counting down the days and reading every interview by BOTW staff that I stumble on. The story behind this game is on my mind every day

hoserx

yupppppppppp
p60jiLv.png

phanphare

Banned
I had a moment yesterday where I clicked the time in the lower right hand corner of my laptop to pull up the calendar and I could see March 3rd

it made me pretty hyped

we're so close and yet so far away

It seems to have condensed the hype cycle into just a few months, which might explain the volume of Switch threads in that time period. It follows the smartphone reveal strategy pretty closely too.

I'm betting this will be the future of all console reveals, yeah.

I'm fucking amped. Let's go!

I'm getting the Neon Switch, with Zelda, and a Pro Controller for sure. Debating on 1-2 Switch, gonna wait for reviews on that one. I'd really like to have a local multiplayer game to play with my fiancé though.

Last console launch I took part in was the Wii. Last system I was this excited for was the Cube. I'm super excited.

Kinda wish I got the Neon console now though. Oh well, I have a pair of red joycons on order.

BigEmil

I was ecstatic hype day 1 to still hype but settled down taking a wait and see approach but I feel I'm gonna break and just get it day 1 lol

hoserx

We're technically a little under a month, I've got an Apple Watch countdown going!

A month isn't necessarily a certain amount of days. It can be any amount of days between 28-31, at least based on our calendar. Haha.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I've not looked forward to a new console so much since the playstation 2 release.

I like the concept, the hardware design. It has some flaws, but the positive overweights the negative a lot for me.

Switch coming out means Zelda coming out.

But yeah, I'm always excited to get my hands on new hardware, especially Nintendo where you get something a bit unique each time.

Guevara

50/50

50% I love new hardware and I want to play Zelda

50%... but I'm still pretty ambivalent about future software support, and all the comments Nintendo has been making about splitting support between 3DS or some new handheld tbd, hasn't been helping.

I am beyond excited! I had to level myself out by working through some of my Xbox One backlog recently, but now I'm back on the hype train. March 3rd can't come soon enough!

Extremely excited. I hope we hear more about virtual console soon. I plan on replaying link to the past but I'm waiting to see if maybe I can do so on switch.

SRTtoZ

I'm excited but at the same time I'm sort of worried. I know ill like Zelda but after I beat it in a week or so then ill be tweedling my thumbs with this brand new console waiting for good games to release. I'd also like more information about the device thats about to release, like if we can use headphones while the system is docked.

OP's title is misleading. Most months are either 30 or 31 days long. This month is the shortest of all months, at only 28 days long. It's practically not even a month at all. More like a monthlet.

TheJoRu

Still don't know if I'll get one for launch, had mine pre-ordered here in Sweden in October but demand has been really high here. But no tears now, only hope.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I'm kind of ashamed I had a dream about it the other night. It was really just that I dreamt that I forgot to go pick up my preorder at the midnight release at Best Buy and that I wouldn't be able to get it after work later that day as a result. So yeah I'm pulling back a bit on the hype in reading about, watching videos and posting about it.

I really want to hear more from Nintendo since we still know so little about the system itself in terms of OS, UI, Accounts, online, eShop, etc.

But I'm sure we'll get more of that next week as I imagine the Super Bowl ad, at least in the US, is going to be their big kickoff(I made a pun) of the Switch marketing.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'd say I'm mildly excited. More excited for Zelda than Switch really. I think it will end up a great platform, and I'm buying day one, but largely out of loyalty and wanting to support Nintendo that excitement. Otherwise I'd wait until next year when it had more games. Hell, I probably won't touch it much for a couple months after Zelda as Mass Effect is out 3 weeks later (a bit less actually) and I'll want to circle back to Horizon (assuming it ends up being good).

Part of my muted excitement is that I'll mostly use it as a console, so the lack of power and storage is a little bit of a let down there, as well as the $300 price and $70 pro controller (was pretty much a must for me to get a dpad and not hassle with moving joycons back and forth from grip to tablet). But maybe I'll end up using portable mode more than I think since it looks much more comfortable and has a larger screen for my aging eyes compared to the 3DSXL and Vita I sold off last year from non-use.

Game wise, the first year is solid enough for me to buy in day one though--bit of a drought after launch aside. I'll definitely get Zelda, MK8, Splatoon 2 and Mario. I'll probably get SFII and Fire Emblem Warriors. And I'd think there'd be at least a couple more games announced at E3 that make it out this year that appeal to me. Even if not, I've typically only bought 5ish games a year across 3DS/Wii U so Switch is at least meeting that. PC and PS4 are my main platforms and there's a lot out there so I'm fine with that level of Nintendo gaming personally.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I'm excited about the hardware, sure, but Zelda sends the hype into the stratosphere.

I'm also on board with their release strategy. They've got a solid lineup stretched out over 2017 with, likely, more announcements to come. They've got a good chance of building this thing up to be a pretty sought-after device by the time the holidays roll around in the west.

If they announce Pokémon this spring/summer, during a period in which this thing might be hard to find, it might be game over for the holiday shopping season. Looking forward to seeing more about Scorpio, but I don't think it will make much of a splash.

Santiako

I'm really excited for it, but cancelled my preorder since I will be drowning in games in Feb/March. I'll pick it up closer to Mario Odyssey and hopefully pick up a nice bundle by then.

50/50

50% I love new hardware and I want to play Zelda

50%... but I'm still pretty ambivalent about future software support, and all the comments Nintendo has been making about splitting support between 3DS or some new handheld tbd, hasn't been helping.

Ugh, okay- that was confirmed to be a misunderstanding based on the Q&A transcript. All he said was he understands that the Switch doesn't necessarily fall into the same market as the 3DS because it is larger and heavier, and that they are always thinking about future hardware. Absolutely nothing about a 3DS successor.

OP's title is misleading. Most months are either 30 or 31 days long. This month is the shortest of all months, at only 28 days long. It's practically not even a month at all. More like a monthlet.

4 weeks though!

For the first time in history I actually wish a console launch was further away then what it actually is. I get the feeling that Nintendo is pushing the console out before its truly ready. Oh well, I'll pick it up by the end of the year when the kinks are ironed out.

The marketing continues to excite me, which means that it's performing its intended purpose. I love Nintendo, and I'll eventually get a Switch. However, what determines whether or not I'm there on March 3rd is how they plan to handle Virtual Console, which they still have yet to explain.

Until then, I'm more than happy to wait.

Instro

I'm excited to play Zelda on new hardware. Not so excited avout the hardware itself per say, and concerned about the announced lineup, but whatever.

Black_Red

I'm hyped but I really cant justify the buy with only Zelda.
I'll probably wait until Mario Kart drops or at least until E3 (hoping for Pokemon Star announcement).

I'm kind of ashamed I had a dream about it the other night. It was really just that I dreamt that I forgot to go pick up my preorder at the midnight release at Best Buy and that I wouldn't be able to get it after work later that day as a result. So yeah I'm pulling back a bit on the hype in reading about, watching videos and posting about it.

I really want to hear more from Nintendo since we still know so little about the system itself in terms of OS, UI, Accounts, online, eShop, etc.

But I'm sure we'll get more of that next week as I imagine the Super Bowl ad, at least in the US, is going to be their big kickoff(I made a pun) of the Switch marketing.

Yeah... I've been wondering why we didn't get this information yet, but their marketing explains why. This week saw the release of Poochy and Yoshi's Wooly World, as well as Fire Emblem Heroes. The Super Bowl ad this weekend should be the start of another big "push" in marketing and hopefully a Direct of some kind.

My dream scenario is a Direct per week until launch. One can dream.

hoserx

I'm excited to play Zelda on new hardware. Not so excited avout the hardware itself per say, and concerned about the announced lineup, but whatever.

I'm definitely excited about the hardware. It's something totally new. It's not just a box you plug into the tv........well it is......... but it isn't....... haha. Also I really want to see the UI.

Top Bottom