• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Internal emails reveal that Activision was briefed on Nintendo Switch 2 last year, similar to PS4/Xbox One in performance

Draugoth

Gold Member
jbareham_180301_2346_nintendo_switch_0034_splatoon.jpg

Activision executives met with Nintendo in December to discuss plans for a next-generation Switch, which is described as closer to PS4 / Xbox One performance.

Rumors of a Nintendo Switch 2 announcement have grown recently after reports of developer demos at Gamescom last month. Now, we know that Activision was briefed on a next-generation Nintendo Switch last year, thanks to internal emails from the FTC v. Microsoft case.

Activision executives, including CEO Bobby Kotick, met with Nintendo executives in December 2022 to discuss a next-generation Switch. In an internal email chain, Chris Schnakenberg, head of Activision’s platform strategy and partner relations, prepared a summary of the “Switch NG” (Switch next-generation) inside a document labeled “NG Switch Draft.pdf.”

The document is heavily redacted, but it does reveal that performance of the next-generation Switch will be close to that of the PS4 and Xbox One:

Given the closer alignment to Gen8 platforms in terms of performance and our previous offerings on PS4 / Xbox One, it is reasonable to assume we could make something compelling for the NG Switch as well. It would be helpful to secure early access to development hardware prototypes and prove that out nice and early.

Activision internal emails about the next-generation Nintendo Switch.

Activision internal emails about the next-generation Nintendo Switch. Image: US Courts

The executive briefing summary and preparation materials were then sent on to Kotick ahead of the December 15th meeting with Nintendo CEO and president Shuntaro Furukawa. Kotick went on to testify in the FTC v. Microsoft hearing that he regretted not bringing Call of Duty to the Switch. This led to questioning from both the FTC’s lawyers and Judge Jacqueline Scott Corley about Call of Duty on the Switch. The FTC revealed that the agreement Microsoft signed with Nintendo also purports to bring a future Call of Duty game to a future Nintendo console if Microsoft’s Activision Blizzard deal is approved by regulators.

FTC: So even without Microsoft buying Activision, it’s likely that Activision would on its own make Call of Duty available for Nintendo’s future console, right?
Kotick: We would consider it once we had the specs, but we don’t have them at present. We missed out on the opportunity for this past generation of Switch, but we’d have to wait until the specifications. We don’t have any present plans to do so.
FTC: It’s likely that Activision on its own would make a Call of Duty game for Nintendo’s future generation console, right?
Kotick: I think once we get the detailed specifications. We missed out on this past generation of Switch, so I’d like to think that we’d be able to do that. We’d have to wait until the specifications, but we don’t have any present plans to do so.

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
Meh. I've always expected Steam Deck-like performance with the niceties that Nvidia brings to the table. People often discard price-point and battery life when they drool over the latest horsepower rumors.
Interms of Nintendo games it will be a massive leap. Some people will only buy a Nintendo console for some reason so they can only wanna support Nintendo that's why they are dreaming of a powerful console.

Apple's upcoming flagship phone, the iPhone 15 Pro will be running console quality games with ray-tracing at 30fps. The phone costs $999.

Do people really believe Nintendo's Switch successor will have Xbox One/PS4 quality games with ray-tracing for $399 or less?

It makes absolutely no sense.

blacktout

Didn't Kotick make a statement to this effect during the Microsoft/Activision FTC case, or am I imagining that?

Edit: disregard, I'm illiterate, my question is answered right in the OP, lol.

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

I still think we will be seeing Gen 9 "exclusive" games on Switch 2 thanks to its updated architecture and throughput in comparison to PS4 and Xbox one.

So who the fuck made up all the Switch 2 was shown at Gamescom with Matrix/UE5 visuals close to PS5/XSX via DLSS bullshit?
Some hyperbole probably, but on a tiny screen maybe it looks close? I'll keep my hopes up for now.

Do people really not realize that the PS5/XSeX are only about 2-3 times faster in real world performance than the PS4/XBone? The real power of the current gen home consoles is the SSD's, the AMD SoC's in those things are pieces of shit with obsolete Zen 2 and obsolete RDNA2 + shit tier RT.

If the Switch 2 has PS4/XBone performance BEFORE DLSS, that's going to be extremely good once you put DLSS in and can get 4K upscaling from 1080p which looks almost indistinguishable from native 4K just like PC gamers have today.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Were people actually expecting anything much higher than a steam deck if they continue the hybrid thing?

No what am i saying, of course people did. People thought they were going to announce the Switch 2 last week

bender

What time is it?
Interms of Nintendo games it will be a massive leap. Some people will only buy a Nintendo console for some reason so they can only wanna support Nintendo that's why they are dreaming of a powerful console.

I think most of the people clamoring for a powerful console are the same that refuse to or bitch about the dated tech in the Switch.

Stuart360

So who the fuck made up all the Switch 2 was shown at Gamescom with Matrix/UE5 visuals close to PS5/XSX via DLSS bullshit?
From a distance it peobably did look close to the Matrix demo on current gen, just like from a distance the likes of DOOM and Wolfenstein 2 on Switch look similar to last gen. Get close though and the illusion falls apart, MK1 style.

I literally said about a year ago on here that Switch 2 would probably be XB1 level, or PS4 level with a bit of luck. XB1 level is already 3 times more powerful than Switch. Knowing how Nintendo is would anyone really be surprised if Switch 2 was only around 3 times more powerful than Switch?.

BlackTron

"Closer alignment to gen 8 platforms" can be true while it is also true that it can run UE5 Matrix demo looking presentable. Series S trades blows with Xbox 1 X.

Finding the rumors/leaks believable and extrapolating those rumors to OMG ITS LITERALLY A HANDHELD PS5 are different things.

Xellos

"Closer alignment to gen 8 platforms" can be true while it is also true that it can run UE5 Matrix demo looking presentable. Series S trades blows with Xbox 1 X.

Finding the rumors/leaks believable and extrapolating those rumors to OMG ITS LITERALLY A HANDHELD PS5 are different things.

Switch, in terms of power, was more comfortable running 360/PS3 ports than XBO/PS4 ports, but the Maxwell/A57 combo could run some XBO/PS4 ports with the right compromises. Will probably be a similar situation with Switch 2. Last gen (cross gen) ports run pretty well, current gen ports have dialed back visuals/framerates, and first party games look great due to art style choices built around the system's limitations. At least this time it'll have DLSS instead of FSR1.0, which should help with image quality.

shamoomoo

The Matrix demo running on switch 2 may not be BS, lower resolution and upscaling should help and possibly more bandwidth than the One S if the leaked specs are real.

zeldaring

Banned

Here is demo for Tegra X1 and everyone though it would deliver near ps4 graphics. Demos don't mean shit.

Zuzu

It's still ambiguous though because are they talking about docked or undocked performance? If it's Xbox One performance in portable mode then that'd be pretty good with DLSS and would mean that docked performance should be around 2 teraflops at least. I'm happy enough with that when you factor in DLSS and probably a better CPU & more Ram than PS4 & Xbone.

Apple's upcoming flagship phone, the iPhone 15 Pro will be running console quality games with ray-tracing at 30fps. The phone costs $999.

Do people really believe Nintendo's Switch successor will have Xbox One/PS4 quality games with ray-tracing for $399 or less?

It makes absolutely no sense.
the iPhone is about 6x smaller and has a 4K oled screen, 4 high end cameras, and 5g network hardware

BlackTron

Here is demo for Tegra X1 and everyone though it would deliver near ps4 graphics. Demos don't mean shit.

Often times a demo will look great but won't really hold true in a real life gameplay scenario. Well, if the rumor is true that it ran Matrix, then what they showed is a real-time game demo that can be run and played on real systems as we can verify ourselves because we could download it. This is a different situation from a custom-made demo for a single hardware that never escapes being just that, a graphics demo.

zeldaring

Banned
Often times a demo will look great but won't really hold true in a real life gameplay scenario. Well, if the rumor is true that it ran Matrix, then what they showed is a real-time game demo that can be run and played on real systems as we can verify ourselves because we could download it. This is a different situation from a custom-made demo for a single hardware that never escapes being just that, a graphics demo.
That's true I guess it could be possible that Nintendo surprises us but from the leakers and this document leak I give it 5% chance.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I wouldn't like Nintendo Switch 2 to have the power of a PS4, especially if there are portable that run cyberpunk 2077 like Asus ROG or Steam Deck.... And even the new iPhone.... Nintendo Wii is to blame for having that setback in the power.

Last edited:
I think what people don't understand about demos is what they are truly meant for. A demo is just that, a demonstration to show off what the engine is capable off period. Most of these demos as you said are running on a very specific type of hardware that most people won't ever be able to buy/obtain. But the demos entice the developers and motivates them to use the engine for their own creations. It's a marketing tool first and foremost. Although, I will say that for the most part UE demos are usually quite close to the final results. The original UE3 Gears of War Demo (before it was even called that) looked exactly same when the game came out. And the Samartian demo was quite awesome too that delievered.

The Samartian UE 3.5 demo was basically Arkham: Knight. That game looks very close to that demo if not even better. Fun fact - Samaritan was actually a game that was in development, but it got canned. Here is the OG video of the demo. We are far past these visuals now imo.

BlackTron

That's true I guess it could be possible that Nintendo surprises us but from the leakers and this document leak I give it 5% chance.

That was the point of my post...I find this document consistent with the rumors. The talk of PS5 power are inflated and the confirmation of low power exaggerated. Few people are paying attention to what is actually being said in the documents leaks and rumors and thinking critically about it. Just running with whatever the headline/first few posts.

For example here. Nowhere did the email say the Switch 2 is PS4/XBOne power but we treat it like a confirmed statement in this thread. He said "closer to 8th gen". Which is not only believable, it's likely and expected for a handheld. Not exaxtly confirmation of perfect parity with a base PS4. In that range is consistent with being able to run a current gen UE5 Matrix demo with DLSS, compromises and new tech that looks like a pretty current gen game with effects to a guy looking at the screen for 20 seconds.

Edit: He also confirms in the next sentence that they want dev hardware prototypes to confirm what they can do on the system sooner than later. Take a step back and consider the context of his position, and his comment of it "being closer to 8 gen" on what this means for what to glean from the email. What it's not, is a statement Switch 2 is a base PS4

Also lol: Kotick: I think once we get the detailed specifications. We missed out on this past generation of Switch, so I’d like to think that we’d be able to do that. We’d have to wait until the specifications, but we don’t have any present plans to do so.

I find it hard to believe Kotick would testify in court that he didn't know the specifications if it was right in the email that they were discussing that the specs were known.

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
That was the point of my post...I find this document consistent with the rumors. The talk of PS5 power are inflated and the confirmation of low power exaggerated. Few people are paying attention to what is actually being said in the documents leaks and rumors and thinking critically about it. Just running with whatever the headline/first few posts.

For example here. Nowhere did the email say the Switch 2 is PS4/XBOne power but we treat it like a confirmed statement in this thread. He said "closer to 8th gen". Which is not only believable, it's likely and expected for a handheld. Not exaxtly confirmation of perfect parity with a base PS4. In that range is consistent with being able to run a current gen UE5 Matrix demo with DLSS, compromises and new tech that looks like a pretty current gen game with effects to a guy looking at the screen for 20 seconds.

Edit: He also confirms in the next sentence that they want dev hardware prototypes to confirm what they can do on the system sooner than later. Take a step back and consider the context of his position, and his comment of it "being closer to 8 gen" on what this means for what to glean from the email. What it's not, is a statement Switch 2 is a base PS4

Also lol: Kotick: I think once we get the detailed specifications. We missed out on this past generation of Switch, so I’d like to think that we’d be able to do that. We’d have to wait until the specifications, but we don’t have any present plans to do so.

I find it hard to believe Kotick would testify in court that he didn't know the specifications if it was right in the email that they were discussing that the specs were known.
Everything is pointing to last gen console power with DLSS. Reliable leakers saying it's 8nm process, then this article and nintendo is gonna be as cheap as possible like they always are. The only thing is we have is the demo but nothing on ps5 has even come close so I don't even buy it lol.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Everything is pointing to last gen console power with DLSS. Reliable leakers saying it's 8nm process, then this article and nintendo is gonna be as cheap as possible like they always are. The only thing is we have is the demo but nothing on ps5 has even come close so I don't even buy it lol.

Yeah, I think it will be last gen console power, benefitting by new tech, which will allow it to run a UE5 demo game which Series S can do, which trades blows with last gen hardware. Is it really that tough to believe. Mind you I think there will be compromises, but I think the effects will be good which will grab most people's attention

Cyberpunkd

Meh. I've always expected Steam Deck-like performance with the niceties that Nvidia brings to the table. People often discard price-point and battery life when they drool over the latest horsepower rumors.
Boy, let’s hope this doesn’t have the Steam Deck battery life.

FireFly

Do people really not realize that the PS5/XSeX are only about 2-3 times faster in real world performance than the PS4/XBone? The real power of the current gen home consoles is the SSD's, the AMD SoC's in those things are pieces of shit with obsolete Zen 2 and obsolete RDNA2 + shit tier RT.

If the Switch 2 has PS4/XBone performance BEFORE DLSS, that's going to be extremely good once you put DLSS in and can get 4K upscaling from 1080p which looks almost indistinguishable from native 4K just like PC gamers have today.
It's more like a difference of 5X, if you compare the 7850 to the 6600 XT.

Which makes sense considering the Series S is a 3rd of the power of the XSX and still delivers better results compared to last gen.

GHG

The dream is dead.

Sounds like it will be around Steam Deck levels of performance with DLSS on top. That's not to be sniffed at, but it's not what we dreamed of.

shamoomoo

If T239 is the chip, it should be more powerful than ps4 especially is the cpu is indeed A78c
I know different architectures can yield different results,if the Switch 2 isn't high clocked enough,I fail to see how beat a PS4 in terms fill rate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom