• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision CEO says Nintendo's next console is close to PS4/Xbox One in terms of power.

daninthemix

I mean, could there be a more perfect use case for DLSS than using it to make a portable system look good on a 4K screen?

due to how good DLSS is, all you need is a 1080p base resolution to get a really good 4K image.
and if you really wanna push things, a base resolution of 800p to 900p would still result in pretty good quality.

and even better, DLAA. low resolutions in combination with TAA is often ugly as hell. that's one of the reasons Nintendo themselves barely use TAA, and at most will use FXAA or something along those lines.
so on the handheld screen, when the games will run at low resolutions, DLAA will help produce a nicer, less artifacty image.

DLSS and DLAA are a perfect fit for a Handheld Hybrid
They are so long as the ML / AI hardware doesn't consume more power / voltage than it saves in the main chip by rendering at a lower res.

Banned
They are so long as the ML / AI hardware doesn't consume more power / voltage than it saves in the main chip by rendering at a lower res.

power is not a concern when this feature is mainly something that will come into play while being docked.
in handheld mode I woule assume DLSS being less used. and if ir does get used then at less aggressive levels.

but I would be very surprised if DLSS actually has any major affect on power draw

power is not a concern when this feature is mainly something that will come into play while being docked.
in handheld mode I woule assume DLSS being less used. and if ir does get used then at less aggressive levels.

but I would be very surprised if DLSS actually has any major affect on power draw

Handheld mode probably staying with the same 720p OLED.

Banned
Handheld mode probably staying with the same 720p OLED.

that would make the most sense yeah. that way they don't have to waste GPU power for running at higher resolutions that are useless on a small screen anyways.
and it makes it easier to optimise for both docked and portable mode.
if handheld mode targets a native 720p, and the docked mode targets a native 1080p through 4K DLSS Perfomance mode, both modes will look good on their respective screens.

and if really demanding games get ported over, then there's always more agressive DLSS use to fall back on. like using 4K DLSS Ultra Performance (native 720p) in docked mode, and maybe 720p DLSS Quality mode in handheld... they could also try stuff like 1440p DLSS Ultra Performance (native 480p) in handheld mode, which then gets supersampled down to 720p, and other stuff like that.

Last edited:
that would make the most sense yeah. that way they don't have to waste GPU power for running at higher resolutions that are useless on a small screen anyways.
and it makes it easier to optimise for both docked and portable mode.
if handheld mode targets a native 720p, and the docked mode targets a native 1080p through 4K DLSS Perfomance mode, both modes will look good on their respective screens.

and if really demanding games get ported over, then there's always more agressive DLSS use to fall back on. like using 4K DLSS Ultra Performance (native 720p) in docked mode, and maybe 720p DLSS Quality mode in handheld... they could also try stuff like 1440p DLSS Ultra Performance (native 480p) in handheld mode, which then gets supersampled down to 720p, and other stuff like that.
Switch is very underclock, and ps vita was too (screen brightness was locked at 70%) so im 100% sure the Switch 2 is 720p handheld Mode to save battery, Nintendo care battery more then performance, and i be surprised if the battery is 5000 MPH, also oled use less battery so thats a must too

That's not what any business should ever do in order be successful.

You need to give consumers what they need.
You are saying no business should ever give the customer what they want?

I'm struggling to believe you said that.

Instead, you say they should give consumers what they need?

It's not a business job to decide what I need, that's not their concern - I decide what I wish to purchase then look for someone who sells it.

Unless, of course, you are just arguing semantics.

After seeing Tears of the Kingdom running on a potato, I think they could pull a generational leap on an Xbox One.

I actually kinda doubt it'll have as much Teraflops as a PS4, that "figure" might be leaning on reconstruction tech a bit.

Steam Deck is 1.6 Tflops on gpu (plus 448 Gflops on CPU), PS4 is 1,84 flops on GPU (plus 102 GFlops on CPU). I'm guessing Nintendo could probably pull PS4 results with a newer architecture and DLSS with just 1,2 TFlops.

Hope for the best but expect the worst, whatever nvidia chip they pick it'll always be underclocked at least 30%. And memory bandwidth is will probably keep being the big bottleneck. I also doubt they go over 8 GB of RAM for game purposes (perhaps a bit of extra memory for OS)

Last edited:
Top Bottom