• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision CEO says Nintendo's next console is close to PS4/Xbox One in terms of power.

Spyxos

Gold Member

It’s no secret that a new Nintendo platform has been in the works as the company isn’t going to sit on Switch forever. According to Kotick, it will be close to Gen 8 power – or the PlayStation 4 / Xbox One, in other words.

Kotick has been having email exchanges with Nintendo president Shuntaro Furukawa. In one message, Kotick mentioned that the Switch successor has “closer alignment of Gen 8 platforms”.

This came about during courtroom proceedings over whether Call of Duty could be ported to Switch or the next Nintendo console. Kotick said in
response:

“Given closer alignment of Gen 8 platforms and our previous offerings on PS4 and Xbox One, it’s reasonable to assume we can make something compelling for NG [next-gen] Switch as well.”

Edit: The title is misleading he just assumes it.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Way To Go Thumbs Up GIF

ZehDon

Gold Member
So, they're staying with the hybrid model, and they're staying two generations behind. That would put them close to Steam Deck territory, which could get interesting.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So, they're staying with the hybrid model, and they're staying two generations behind. That would put them close to Steam Deck territory, which could get interesting.

I mean, 1½ generations behind. We're not at PS6 yet. But when that does release in 2027-2028, yeah, they will be two generations behind again.

cormack12

Gold Member
Wasn't there a pretty big gap between the PS4 and OG XB1? Not being facetious I didn't have an XB1 but I remember the furore around cod being much lower res on the 1?

rapid32.5

Xbox One power level with 720p might as well call it XBOX360. PS4 was a half step forward XBO in terms of power.

Last edited:

Metnut

I’d be cool with Switch 2 being a better optimized PS4 power type. Would be nest if the docked mode is able to provide a bigger boost this time around.

Mr Moose

Closer to Xbox One than Series X.
Edit: Misread, thought they were talking about Switch...
That's fucking terrible, why have a weak ass console like that?

Last edited:

SeraphJan

Handheld PC with unified spec and console like price point (such as Steam Deck and its successor) is the future, I can't imaging play any third party games on other handheld devices. I will be using Nintendo's next handheld console only for exclusives, in that sense I don't really care about its spec.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
eh expected. Its a portable console afterall.
I guess most games will stay at 30 fps on switch 2.

Xellos

Seems reasonable enough to me, given limitations with battery, price, cooling (size/weight/fan noise). It's likely to use a modern Nvidia GPU though, so maybe it'll have DLSS and HDMI 2.1, which would help with modern 4K TVs. There is also a good chance Switch 2 will have more RAM than PS4/XBO; even Steam Deck has 16GB at $400

Hell yeah!!!

As far as Im concerned, there is no major graphical leap from ps4 to ps5. So to have a nintendo console with ps4 graphics will do wonders with Nintendo software (see TOTK) AND we will get full 3rd party support PORTABLE!
The success of the switch guarantees no 3rd party will sit out on Switch 2.
This will be one of Nintendo’s greatest systems of all time.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Dammit I love that Nintendo stays two gens behind and just doesn’t give a fuck.

Bookmark it, I guarantee you the next Nin console won’t be backward compatible and Nintendo fans will still back up the nonsense lol.

This is coming from a guy who owns a Switch.

Top Bottom