• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: Watch Dogs 2 sales above Syndicate, tracking Far Cry 4 (7M LTD), WD1 did 11M

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They also basically assert the franchise is continuing.

Daniel Ahmad

Ubisoft:

Watch Dogs 2 had a soft launch.
Word of mouth has led to increase in sales each week.
In line with Far Cry 4 sales.

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/829742076539629569
Ubisoft feels comfortable about Watch Dogs 2 long term sales reception.

Pleased with reception of game for long term franchise growth.

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/829742208546902019
Watch Dogs 2 performed better in EMEA and Middle East/Asia than in the US.

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/829742208546902019
For reference, the original Watch Dogs sold over 11 million units.

Far Cry 4 sold over 7 million + in its lifetime.

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/829743181029896192
Ubisoft:

Performance of Watch Dogs 2 is better than Assassin's Creed Syndicate last year.
Showing similar trends to FC4 (Long term seller)

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/829747432502198272

Razlo

That is some reassuring news. Watch Dogs 2 is really great and I was afraid it'd sell poorly and kill chances for a 3.

As someone who liked WD2's story and characters better but thought WD1 had much tighter mechanics and encounter design, I'm glad to see the franchise will be continued. I just hope they can strike a nice balance between 1 and 2. I just felt WD2 had a lot of jank to it mechanically that WD1 didn't have.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
So is AC no longer a cash cow?
They just announced the despite not releasing in China yet, the film has made $213 million and has increased the sales of already released AC games by quite a bit.

Jackpot

Banned
Watch Dogs 2 has the biggest case of narrative dissonance I have EVER seen.

"They labelled me a threat! They made me do community service. So now I'm going to carry out a huge succession of terrorist attacks. For the lulz."

"Swatting is the worst" *hacks police so that they can issue an APB on anyone*

"This movie inaccurately portrays hacking. Lets destroy their property using magic mobile phones!"

"They labelled me a threat! They made me do community service. So now I'm going to carry out a huge succession of terrorist attacks. For the lulz."

"This movie inaccurately portrays hacking. Lets destroy their property using magic mobile phones!"

This is the first game ever where I have actively experienced narrative dissonance as well. It never bothered me in stuff like Uncharted because you are always fighting "Bad guys". In WD2 you are supposed to be these good, for the people character and yet are constantly able to straight kill cops / innocent civilians / stealing property etc.

In WD1 you were an anti-hero / vengeance based character so it made more sense

daitoqu

They just announced the despite not releasing in China yet, the film has made $213 million and has increased the sales of already released AC games by quite a bit.

Which means it didn't even recoup it's production budget.
So, yeah, not a cash cow.

Which means it didn't even recoup it's production budget.
So, yeah, not a cash cow.

He didn't ask if the film was a cash cow. He asked if the franchise was. The film is just a stop-gap. It seems like it was a success, though obviously not as great of one as Ubisoft would have liked.

KillerAJD

This is the first game ever where I have actively experienced narrative dissonance as well. It never bothered me in stuff like Uncharted because you are always fighting "Bad guys". In WD2 you are supposed to be these good, for the people character and yet are constantly able to straight kill cops / innocent civilians / stealing property etc.

Yeah, I get this feeling when playing too. I had put the game down for a few weeks a bit ago, but when I came back to it, I mistakenly pulled out a pistol instead of the stun gun, and the first guy I shot scared the shit out me, haha. I felt bad and kind of stopped playing for a bit. I've not shot anybody else in the game, and don't really use the gang/cop ability. It's actually kind of fun to just run around in the game and not shoot people. I also haven't really played many of the main missions, and have mostly been exploring and collecting side stuff, so maybe that will change as I play more of the story stuff.

jjonez18

Wow. WD1 did 11m. I would have guessed the game collapsed after its first month. WD2 showing promise. Good products find their consumers.

Just a random thought. People used to get so much shit for referring to Zughe and Dualshockers as sources. Now that pretty much every thread now lol.

This is good to know that even if it sold less than the first game it still sold massively well. I'm down for whatever direction they take WD3 in but they really need to revamp the driving because it is a blight on an otherwise awesome game.

I have one big problem with a potential wd3...They do away with Marcus which would break me. I love the guy instantly from the first mission

Ashtar

I figured the game would be around 4-5 million
Personally I loved the game my only real platinum
Would love to see a sequel that mixed more of the scenarios and shooting from 1 with the hacking of two
Gimme camera puzzles, give me car conveys, give me crimes to stop on the street, I want to hack into a random person walkings phone and find out they're dealing drugs, locate the drugs, hack into their stash house using phones and cameras and destroy the drug shipment
I want to break up cock fighting rings
But I want to do it with my ded sec brehs

Glad to see it's continuing. I know it's a longshot, but I'd like to see them make a sequel where you can't use guns at all. At least not lethal ones. Differentiate the franchise more than GTA with tech. Make Hackers: the Movie the Game.

WatchDogs 1 didn't have a lot of competition since it was early in the gen, people were starving for games.

WatchDogs 2 on the other hand has a lot more competition and they're trying to fix the image of the series after WD1 got average or below average reviews.

So is AC no longer a cash cow?

Chart(1)(1).jpg

In WD1 you were an anti-hero / vengeance based character so it made more sense

Yeah, if any Western open-world game needs the Japanese open-world treatment (not being able to curbstomp civilians and generally having strict rules as to who you're allowed to fuck with), it's Watch_Dogs 2. If Ubisoft had any balls, they'd have made it a straight-up stealth game. Even gunning down enemy guards never feels right, given the fact that your gang might as well be the Scooby gang as far as the level of threat they exude goes.

Stat!

I think AC Syndicate and AC Unity were the best ACs so far. its a shame that Ubi decided to pull AC after Syndicate. I would love another AC game but just get rid of anything modern day and not in the US.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I think AC Syndicate and AC Unity were the best ACs so far. its a shame that Ubi decided to pull AC after Syndicate. I would love another AC game but just get rid of anything modern day and not in the US.
There's an AC game in full production right now. Taking place outside of the U.S. and in a way less modern setting.

Jaraghan

Far Cry 4 was awesome. Primal I enjoyed but it got stale for me halfway through. Not enough variety on weapons (understandably I suppose). Game was breathtakingly beautiful though.

jdstorm

Banned
Hey UBI if you are reading this... "Please put a character creator in Watchdogs 3"

Its wierd playing online and seeing versions of yourself drop into your game. Im all for keeping a players name standard so you can have actual cutscenes, and if you want to tell the story of someone who is of a specific ethnicity or gender then only offer those options in the character creator.

However Watchdogs 2 would have been better if every players Marcus was different, from his Height, build, Hairstyle, features ect.

Vintage

WD2 was a very enjoyable experience and I'm playing through Syndicate right now. Definitely not their best game.

This is way better than I expected, tbh. They were never going to get close to the sales of the first game, but this game deserves to have sold well.

I'm glad it sold well. WD2 is an improvement over WD1 in every single way. The characters in it are so damn loveable, too

Huh, I've never heard of Zhuge before (well, besides Dynasty Warriors of course, lol). He is pretty reliable with this stuff?

Tecnniqe

Banned
I'm glad for Ubisoft and WD as a series since WD2 was surprisingly good, after my initial "meh" reception I heard from others that it was actually a good game and decided to get it on a discount and it was quite the enjoyable experience.

Nathan Drake must be stoked that we have a new face of ludonarrative dissonance!

The original watch dawgz had a hype level that was unrealistic. Like, the game looked worse and worse (from a play standpoint) and then launching with the whole downgraded graphics fiasco... leads to a more tempered opinion.

2 is objectively better than 1, though.

bonej

Most ubi games are equally successful or even more successful in europe than in the US (only consoles from ********). If you then include that europe has a more widespread pc gaming usage most games should be more successful in europe than in the us.

Well i didn't play watch dogs 2 destroying everything and i never used the APB , ( except for that trophy ).
If you don't go guns blazing in WD2 , it's much harder to get a narrative dissonance.
Stealth gameplay is the way to go in this game.

Top Bottom