• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Bomberman R was created with Unity

Spy

Super Bomberman R is shown as one of the playable games developed with the Unity engine. Rather than going with internal tools, Konami and HexaDrive decided to use third-party technology. Fortunately we know that Switch supports Unity very well.

Based on footage we've seen, it doesn't.

Ryuuga

Banned
zaD9b.gif

I'm looking forward to how Unity runs other software on the system.

Considering it struggles for 30fps I wish it didn't.

Would rather they use the engine used for the Bomberman games on 360/PS3/Wii.

wwm0nkey

I have to use Unity a lot at work. I hated 4.6 but honestly the newer versions of Unity are just fine as long as you put some work into lighting and shaders, but I do understand the hate it gets due to previous versions and performance issues on those.

*Haven't developed for a console before so I don't really know how much different it is when targeting those platforms though.

I have to use Unity a lot at work. I hated 4.6 but honestly the newer versions of Unity are just fine as long as you put some work into lighting and shaders, but I do understand the hate it gets due to previous versions and performance issues on those.

*Haven't developed for a console before so I don't really know how much different it is when targeting those platforms though.

Exactly. Unity is a great engine. If the game doesn't perform well, it's the dev's fault for being lazy.

So that's why it runs like shit? Damnit. Why couldn't they get it to run at 60fps? It blows me away...

Exactly. Unity is a great engine. If the game doesn't perform well, it's the dev's fault for being lazy.

Unity has a lot of issues on consoles. Broforce doesn't even run smoothly on a PS4 pro with boost mode.

Ridley327

So that's why it runs like shit? Damnit. Why couldn't they get it to run at 60fps? It blows me away...

I imagine it's a mix of developers not being familiar with Unity, Konami not giving them the money to spend time on learning the ins and outs of it to do more than the bare minimum, and being locked in as a launch title. Unity in of itself isn't an engine that is impossible to get great results out of, but it does require some time and effort that likely weren't available to the teams working on this.

Considering that one of the developers is Hexadrive, you know damn well that it isn't because they're incapable of better results.

Oregano

It's possibly worth nothing that apparently the devs said they're working to reduce load times before release. Remains to be seen whether it will be any less though.

Ogawa-san

Not that I'm trying to defend a 30fps Bomberman, but when people use the "Unity is shit" blanket statement I think of Assault Android Cactus.

filament.gif

Not that I'm trying to defend a 30fps Bomberman, but when people use the "Unity is shit" blanket statement I think of Assault Android Cactus.

http://www.witchbeam.com.au/gifs/filament.gif

It's usually not the fault of the engine when a game (like, say, Broforce) runs like crap. This being 30fps and maybe not running great on the switch has more to do with the work put into getting this to run on the switch than Unity itself.

True Fire

filament.gif

It's not that games can't run well on Unity, it's just that devs really have to go out of their way to make it work. And Konami clearly didn't go out of their way.

Rodin

It's usually not the fault of the engine when a game (like, say, Broforce) runs like crap. This being 30fps and maybe not running great on the switch has more to do with the work put into getting this to run on the switch than Unity itself.

The engine itself is not the problem, but many games made on Unity tend to not run great regardless of the platform. Maybe it takes more resources and time to optimize on it, or some (many?) games made with it are rushed on the market before proper optimization is made, but we were wondering why Bomberman ran at 30fps and now the news that it's made with Unity comes out. Whatever the reason, there's a pattern here.

wwm0nkey

The engine itself is not the problem, but many games made on Unity tend to not run great regardless of the platform. Maybe it takes more resources and time to optimize on it, or some (many?) games made with it are rushed on the market before proper optimization is made, but we were wondering why Bomberman ran at 30fps and now the news that it's made with Unity comes out. Whatever the reason, there's a pattern here.

Probably rushed or older version is my guess? Its really hard to tell without hearing more developers talk about Unity on Switch. I don't think we heard much about Unity on N3DS either.

Oregano

filament.gif

On that note Assault Android Cactus was meant to be coming to Wii U, wonder if it will come to Switch.

dogen

It's not that games can't run well on Unity, it's just that devs really have to go out of their way to make it work. And Konami clearly didn't go out of their way.

I think it's more that unity makes it easy to make poorly performing games, and lots of inexperienced developers use it.

Illucio

Banned
Well if the game used Unity I assume that was the only way to get the game made considering how Konami has been lately.

:/

OryoN

Guys, no reason to knock Unity (whether intentionally or indirectly as a rebuttal to Konami) for how this game runs. There are several other games out there that showcases the engine just fine.

EDarkness

filament.gif

Definitely. I think you gotta be smart in how you do things in Unity in order to get a lot out of it. I'm not sure there are devs out there who care that much about it.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
It feels like this game is gonna probably die so Konami doesn't have to attempt to get Bomberman to work...

It's weird we got Bomberman Hero on the Wii VC as the only virtual Bomberman game, and like nothing else---and it never made it to the Wii U VC, right? Hope at the very least Konami throws all the big Bomberman titles on the Switch VC (?), I've lost all my Bomberman games except for The Second Attack.

It feels like this game is gonna probably die so Konami doesn't have to attempt to get Bomberman to work...

It's weird we got Bomberman Hero on the Wii VC as the only virtual Bomberman game, and like nothing else---and it never made it to the Wii U VC, right? Hope at the very least Konami throws all the big Bomberman titles on the Switch VC (?), I've lost all my Bomberman games except for The Second Attack.

I'm pretty sure I bought Bomberman '93 on the Wii vc way back when.

Oregano

They just released Bomberman 94 on the Wii U VC.

NotLiquid

I don't expect the game to bomb that much. It's got the safety net of being a launch day game so more people are going to buy it just to have a game on the Switch; and as far as day one goes it's probably the one game, alongside Zelda, that's going to stick out to customers the most, especially with that vivid cover. The name has something of a legacy and nostalgic hint behind it and everything's aligned for a fairly modest performance.

What I will say is that I wouldn't be surprised if Konami realized this themselves and used it as an excuse to not put in maximum effort. It'll likely perform well within the budget it was given. I'm actually expecting the game to be fairly good in terms of content, but I can see some performance elements leaving a bit to be desired.

BiggNife

filament.gif
I'm glad someone said this.

Unity is perfectly capable of producing games that run fine at 60fps. If a game runs like shit it should be blamed on the developer, not the engine.

"Oh it's made in Unity, it must be shit" is the "Oh it was made in Flash, it must be shit" of this generation and I'm sick of it.

thefro

I don't expect the game to bomb that much. It's got the safety net of being a launch day game so more people are going to buy it just to have a game on the Switch; and as far as day one goes it's probably the one game, alongside Zelda, that's going to stick out to customers the most, especially with that vivid cover. The name has something of a legacy and nostalgic hint behind it and everything's aligned for a fairly modest performance.

The pre-orders on amazon for it are pretty strong.

Heck, it's outsold Resident Evil 7 on XB1 already there by quite a bit and some other pretty big games.

I think it'll be fine unless the reviews are absolutely awful (which I don't think it will be since hands-on impressions from people at the events were positive).

I'm glad someone said this.

Unity is perfectly capable of producing games that run fine at 60fps. If a game runs like shit it should be blamed on the developer, not the engine.

"Oh it's made in Unity, it must be shit" is the "Oh it was made in Flash, it must be shit" of this generation and I'm sick of it.

I imagine people that say this to expect the engine to do the optimizing for the devs.

Top Bottom