• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Bomberman R was created with Unity

BiggNife

Hexadrive is hardly a slouch when it comes to technical proficiency, and their biggest feat may arguably be the fact that they took a complete piece of crap port from another developer like ZOE2 HD and turned it into the definitive version of that game. This really is pointing to Konami not giving enough time or money.
It's a launch title so it's probably being rushed to hell. That's pretty normal for system launches, sadly.

The reason Unity gets a bad rep is because it's so easy to use, and was free for so long, that a lot of people use it to develop their first project. And a lot of people who don't know how to program or develop games use it to make something and try to cash in on trends. It started life as an indie-focused engine, then moved on to become one of the best mobile engines, but as of Unity 5 especially, it has become a truly AAA-class game engine. Also, unlike Unreal, Unity's default settings are not for high quality AAA graphical effects - you actually have to know what the effects are, what they do, and enough about Unity to use them. I've been developing using Unity for 6 years now, I'm currently using it for VR simulations, and I can tell you, Unity is not the reason Bomberman R is running at 30fps, unless the development team was new to Unity.

Some noteable examples of Unity games:
Ori and the Blind Forest
Pillars of Eternity
Hearthstone
Cites: Skylines
Kerbal Space Program
Pokemon Go
Firewatch
The Forest
Most VR games

wwm0nkey

The reason Unity gets a bad rep is because it's so easy to use, and was free for so long, that a lot of people use it to develop their first project. And a lot of people who don't know how to program or develop games use it to make something and try to cash in on trends. It started life as an indie-focused engine, then moved on to become one of the best mobile engines, but as of Unity 5 especially, it has become a truly AAA-class game engine. Also, unlike Unreal, Unity's default settings are not for high quality AAA graphical effects - you actually have to know what the effects are, what they do, and enough about Unity to use them. I've been developing using Unity for 6 years now, I'm currently using it for VR simulations, and I can tell you, Unity is not the reason Bomberman R is running at 30fps, unless the development team was new to Unity.

Some noteable examples of Unity games:
Ori and the Blind Forest
Pillars of Eternity
Hearthstone
Cites: Skylines
Kerbal Space Program
Pokemon Go
Firewatch
The Forest
Most VR games

The cost of entry was a blessing and a curse for Unity for sure. Lots of users, but due to some not having much experience there were games coming out that just didn't run well. I mean older versions of Unity were just not good in some cases, I would say Unity 5 got it right and they are making a lot of good improvements.

Had to look at an older project this week from work that was done on Unity 4 and it struggles to hit a good framerate even with a Xeon processor and GTX 980, decided to port it over to 5.5 and make a few changes knowing what I know now just to see what things like Vulkan and other improvements would do for it; and it now runs buttery smooth.

They're not going to fuck it up. Unless playing a 30fps game gives you seizures or something, it'll be a lot of fun when the dozens of us here have 8 player match ups every weekend!
Yeah, this.
It probably won't be at the top tier of the franchise but a competent Bomberman game is more fun than 80% of multiplayer games for me.

Paz

Fellow Unity developers I understand your desire to explain misconceptions about the engine, but there's an awful lot of "I'm a Unity developer and can tell you this thing about Bomberman's performance for sure" in this thread.

That's not helpful, it's just throwing 'blame' around without having an understanding of the facts. Even as someone with various console dev experience it wouldn't be helpful for me to chime in and try to guess at where a bottleneck is. There's kinda no basis right now to say the game looking and running the way is does on the Switch is due to any dominant factor, other than this is the best they could do given all the circumstances involved of the platform/engine/team.

You really wouldn't want some other random developer doing this in a thread about your game, trying to explain that you're the problem when their circumstances are so different as to make the comparison irrelevant.

Edit - I say this because my last post was pointing out that it's bad to leap to blaming the engine for what people perceive as a poor performing game, but it's also bad to leap to blaming the developers, we really have too little information to go on to definitively say where the buck stops in this case.

NotLiquid

The funny thing is the menus and cutscenes clearly run in 60fps, so you can see the multiple Bomberman models animate at a high framerate. It seems like the game is intending to target it. Maybe it really is just a demo build that has it at 30 for some reason?

I don't want to get my hopes up.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Not that I'm trying to defend a 30fps Bomberman, but when people use the "Unity is shit" blanket statement I think of Assault Android Cactus.

filament.gif

what are you trying to proof here?

dan2026

Pretty much every single game I have seen running on Unity has been an unoptimised mess.

I don't believe this can all be put down to 'lazy devs'.
There must be something intrinsically wrong with the engine.

Oregano

Pretty much every single game I have seen running on Unity has been an unoptimised mess.

I don't think it's fair to say it's something "wrong". It's obviously not easy to optimise Unity games for consoles AND it's a launch game for a new system. Given more time we'd probably be seeing much better performance.

opricnik

Banned

Consoles have shit CPU's. No needs to be an Einstein

Unity performance is a complicated mess of factors that is partly due to Unity generally being extremely easy to use but also accidentally encouraging some poor programming practices and optimization being something that's tricky to do if you're not familiar with how the engine works. Unity has gotten a lot better about performance as of late, though, but there are still a lot of pitfalls.

I'm inclined to put the blame down on Super Bomberman R being a low-budget title with limited dev time and resources courtesy of Konami in this case.

UE4 also has its own set of performance overheads, so it's not perfect in that respect either.

Top Bottom