• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Potato Masher (console-level PC) vs PS4/PS4 Pro in Dishonored 2

Since this game became infamous for its poor PC performance at launch I think these videos would be of interest to those trying to decide whether to buy the PC or console version or to those wondering what performance is like on a not-top-of-the-line PC.

Potato Masher (Core i5 750/Gtx 760) vs PS4

https://youtu.be/LBZyXSkfaoQ

Potato Masher Pro (Core i5 750/Gtx 1060) vs PS4 Pro

https://youtu.be/FXYruYBe8LQ

Ahasverus

As always, comparison is flawed; the potato masher is not realistically a $400 machine. Not on traditional sales channels that is.

chitnex

The ps4 version of this game ran rather poorly. The low fov and dipping framerates made me nauseous at first.

Since this game became infamous for its poor PC performance at launch I think these videos would be of interest to those trying to decide whether to buy the PC or console version or to those wondering what performance is like on a not-top-of-the-line PC.

Potato Masher (Core i5 750/Gtx 760) vs PS4

https://youtu.be/LBZyXSkfaoQ

Potato Masher Pro (Core i5 750/Gtx 1060) vs PS4 Pro

https://youtu.be/FXYruYBe8LQ
i5 vs jaguar cores is a fair comparison? Okay, sure. Also this pc isn't 400.

GavinUK86

Hmm, it's a very uninformed review tbh. A lot of stuff that's known about the issues are easy to find with a quick search but he doesn't mention them or incorrectly talks about them in the video. The first one that comes to mind is locking it to 30fps causes long load times. He talks about how that must be a bug but he doesn't know what it is. Reading through the comments, he had no idea about it. I've known about it since launch. Steam forums, and here, are full of people mentioning it. Not a great video imo.

xviper

Dishonored 2 is probably the most forgotten game of this generation

it puts Call of Duty to shame in terms of copy\paste

it's a Dishonor to Dishonored

Lister

Banned
As always, comparison is flawed; the potato masher is not realistically a $400 machine. Not on traditional sales channels that is.

As always the potato masher videos are misintrepreted by console folk desperate to make them about platform wars.

The consoles are used purely as measuring points, and the discussion is about low end, very affordable pc hardware and how it compares to a console level of performance (usually pretty damn well).

This isnt necessarily about the kind of hardware your going to go out and buy today, though it could be with some tweaks, but its not an unrealistic wxample of what a frugal pc gamer might have as hes upgrading piece meal.

epmode

Dishonored 2 is probably the most forgotten game of this generation

it puts Call of Duty to shame in terms of copy\paste

it's a Dishonor to Dishonored

The only problem with Dishonored 2 is its awful performance on PC, especially compared to the first game.

The only problem with Dishonored 2 is its awful performance on PC, especially compared to the first game.
The voice acting is abysmal for a AAA game in 2016 and saying the story is rote would be pretty generous.
As always the potato masher videos are misintrepreted by console folk desperate to make them about platform wars.
The series is called potato masher but it's the primarily console users who are making it a platform war. Got it.

hawk2025

The consoles are used purely as measuring points, and the discussion is about low end, very affordable pc hardware and how it compares to a console level of performance (usually pretty damn well).

That must be hard to say with a straight face, right?

Lister

Banned
The voice acting is abysmal for a AAA game in 2016 and saying the story is rote would be pretty generous.

The series is called potato masher but it's the primarily console users who are making it a platform war. Got it.

Its called potato masher because its low end hardware.

It just so happens that low end pc hardware can outperform a console in some cases. I know to some of you that's some sort of heresy, but really the persecution thing is mostly in your head.

Thanks for the link OP. I own a PS4 and a PC with a 760 GTX so I was thinking of getting it on the PS4 but if I can get the same framerate and visuals on PC then that'd be the more convenient option.

Darkroronoa

Budget PC's are still going strong. Its good to see that old hardware is still decent after all those years.

And you can probably build a PC, with comparable performance, using new parts for less than 400$. You can get a G4560 and a 1050 for super cheap and it would be even better than that PC.

Also i am surprised by the performance of the Potato masher pro.

Frankly, Emily's voice acting was good IMO. The plot was eh, but the storytelling and the setting of Karnaca was phenomenal as well.

Regardless, xviper is wrong about saying Dishonored 2 is a copy-pasta.

120v

been thinking about loading the game on my laptop (a rough 'potato masher' equivalent) but storage is kind of iffy, sticking with last gen stuff. but after watching the video i'll give it a shot

I love the first game.

The 2nd is mediocre.

Again, that's just nonsense. How in the world is Dishonored 2 mediocre? If the genre is even remotely your style, calling it mediocre is just disingenuous.

The level design is so far ahead of its peers (eg. Bioshock, Deus Ex) it's almost unfair.

Sure, criticise the story for (intentionally) being flimsy, but that's basically as far as it goes.

It's really interesting to see these experiments, I love my consoles and PCs and it's really fascinating to see this hardware holding up with the current generation machines.

Its called potato masher because its low end hardware.

It just so happens that low end pc hardware can outperform a console in some cases. I know to some of you that's some sort of heresy, but really the persecution thing is mostly in your head.

These threads never go down well, there's always salt when 'low-end' PC hardware is compared against consoles.

First it was all about console optimization meaning PCs cannot keep up and age worse, but now this rhetoric doesn't hold much weight anymore so it's time to move goal posts.

Sure, the pricing is a bit questionable, but we're looking at obscenely old PC hardware on the CPU-side, a 7+ year old CPU that is somehow holding up with current generation consoles, and a more recent GTX 760 GPU that predates the launch of the PS4 and Xbox One by around 4 months.

It's really interesting to see these experiments, I love my consoles and PCs and it's really fascinating to see this hardware holding up with the current generation machines.

These threads never go down well, there's always salt when 'low-end' PC hardware is compared against consoles.

First it was all about console optimization meaning PCs cannot keep up and age worse, but now this rhetoric doesn't hold much weight anymore so it's time to move goal posts.

Sure, the pricing is a bit questionable, but we're looking at obscenely old PC hardware on the CPU-side, a 7+ year old CPU that is somehow holding up with current generation consoles, and a more recent GTX 760 GPU that predates the launch of the PS4 and Xbox One by around 4 months.

It's hardly a secret that current generation consoles are held back by their CPUs.

Thanks for the link OP. I own a PS4 and a PC with a 760 GTX so I was thinking of getting it on the PS4 but if I can get the same framerate and visuals on PC then that'd be the more convenient option.

You're welcome. A GTX 760 is still a very capable card but it might be VRAM-starved in newer titles. Its solid performance in Dishonored is actually impressive considering the unoptimized nature of the game.

iavi

There's never been a better time to build a budget PC. PC is the op isn't actually a good example of price/performance

You can pick up an 8gb MSI RX480 for 184~ instead of spending 250 on the 1060 (which performs no faster in DX11 now post driver updates and slower in DX12/Vulkan ) and a pentium G4560 for 60 and easily outperform the PS4 pro.

Top Bottom