• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is Dark Souls 1 not the worst Soulsborne game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Velikost

The more I try to slog through this dated trash heap the more confused I get. Where does all this praise come from? Was 2011 really that bad? I've been trying to work my way through it with a friend and I can't believe how many unnecessary systems you have to engage with to play through the supposed GOAT. We just beat the
Moonlight Butterfly
in his instance and that might be the worst boss I've seen in any of these games. Here's what immediately comes to mind after our session:

• Need to be human to summon, but lose your humanity along with your souls.
  • Can't fast travel between bonfires (at least until way late in the game?)
  • Can't light bonfires when a summon is around.
  • Garbage Estus flask implementation (number carried based on bonfire, slow to drink, summons can't heal on their own, probably more dumb shit I'm forgetting)
  • Molasses movement; super slow sprinting & anything below fast roll is a bad time
  • Dope PC port that requires several mods and tweaks to run decently
Everyone calls Miyazaki a genius or a god, and I have to agree, because only a genius could make such a bad game and yet somehow get people to love it and continue to spread praise in the present day.

Here's my Souls timeline if that matters:

• Demon's Souls: Killed the first couple bosses; haven't gone back yet. Gets a pass cause it came first.
  • Bloodborne: Played through the first few bosses alone; realized I owned something special.
  • Dark Souls II: SotFS - Beat the whole game with a friend on XB1. Long as fuck, but a good time.
  • Dark Souls III Vanilla - Got at launch on PS4; beat the whole thing with same buddy. Solid entry
  • Dark Souls: Why did I buy this
  • Bloodborne: Came back and beat the entire game + DLC with my friend. Still amazing
  • Nioh: Played up to a couple missions in the second region. Decent game with shit co-op restrictions.
tl;dr Bloodborne was released, there's no reason to talk about Dark Souls 1 anymore, unless it's to say "Wow, Dark Souls 1 sure is bad when compared to Bloodborne." Please convince me otherwise ty god bless

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OP, you genuinely don't deserve to enjoy this series. Please just stop playing.

Say no more GAFers, going to trade in all my Soulsborne titles at Gamestop tomorrow morning

DocSeuss

That honor belongs to Lords of the Fallen, a game that completely lacks any of the readability that makes the FROM games so good.

Yes, Bloodborne is the best Soulsborne game.

tesqui

It's the one I look back at the fondest. It might also be because it was my first souls game though.

Arkeband

Banned
Dark Souls 1's level design is immaculate. It puts DS3 to shame, and we won't even mention DS2.

Bloodborne is very close, though. They're basically perfect.

Footos22

You played all the majorly improved sequels and Bloodborne before you played This one, Then you wonder why it isn't as good?

At the time there was nothing else like it.

hupla

• Garbage Estus flask implementation (number carried based on bonfire, slow to drink, summons can't heal on their own, probably more dumb shit I'm forgetting)
  • Molasses movement; super slow sprinting & anything below fast roll is a bad time

• these are all positives imo

It has the best level design. If you think you need a fast travel system you havent explored enough.

The best set pieces and boss fights.

The weight feels perfect even tho the controls may be a bit clunky.

And personally I think it has the best lore to discover.

Wedzi

Banned
  • Need to be human to summon, but lose your humanity along with your souls.

These are all positives.

The thing that always captured me about Dark Souls 1 was the open world design of Firelink Shrine, Undead Burg, and Undead Parish. Climbing all the way through Undead Burg to the elevator in Undead Parish and then it takes you back down to Firelink Shrine and I'm all like WTF!?

It has the best level design out of the from software souls games, note I haven't finished DS3 yet. Also the combat just feels right, the dodge rolls felt so off in DS2 compared to DS1.

Lothar

Banned
Because I hated Dark Souls 1 so much, I never played another Soulsbourne game. Are you saying they're a lot better?

I don't think the game is trash, but the level design always disappointed me. The areas interconnect beautifully, but with rare exception (Sen's, Painted World) the levels themselves are nothing special imo. At least compared to DeS/BB/DS3.

Dark Souls 1's level design is immaculate. It puts DS3 to shame, and we won't even mention DS2.

Basically this.

The world is masterclass. Sure, some of the systems were improved in later entries, but I haven't found a world I enjoyed better than DarkSouls.

The feel of progression and shortcuts to the different levels. Feeling like the world is actually connected instead of just pieced together. It's sublime.

Kusagari

Dark Souls 1 doesn't need bonfire warping because it has by far the most well-realized and interconnected world of the series.

You are full on crazy. Dark Souls 1 is in the running greatest game ever made. It has flaws, but it has incredible atmosphere and world building and that "just right" combat. Just writing this makes me want to jump on my SL1 and invade Anor Londo.

Perhaps no game has better level design. The world is an incredible interconnected maze with remarkable in internal consistency and constant "wait, this place connects to here?" moments.
Edit: my first playthru was a solid, viable mid-roll

mollipen

Need to be human to summon, but lose your humanity along with your souls.

And?

Can't fast travel between bonfires (at least until way late in the game?)

That was a good part of the game. Later games made players lazy and spoiled.

Can't light bonfires when a summon is around.

I wouldn't be playing with a summon anyhow. I don't think these games are meant to be played anything but alone unless we're talking PVP.

Garbage Estus flask implementation (number carried based on bonfire, slow to drink, summons can't heal on their own, probably more dumb shit I'm forgetting)

Again, I don't understand the problem with this, and also again I wouldn't have a summon with me.

Molasses movement; super slow sprinting & anything below fast roll is a bad time

I'd have to back and play it again to compare it, but I don't ever remember having a problem with this. Maybe you just made bad armor/encumbrance choices?

Unit24

Is your opinion about the game sucking based entirely on the lack of convenience features that came later? Because judging the whole game based on just that is ridiculous.

Okolonans

Neo Member
Because of the world design. The series never matched that.

Dark Souls 2 is the worst but really underrated thanks to a few terrible but influential tastemakers like Mattewmatosis.

I don't even get the point of arguing about this. They're all amazing games in their own rights, such that it's a matter of taste and nothing more.

The lack of fast travel was a boon for Dark Souls. Maybe if they didn't design DS2 with immediate access to it in mind the world wouldn't be gutter trash

Anustart

Because a lot of people consider having shortcuts between areas the absolute fucking best thing ever. Those few times where they get a rush from being connected where they previously thought there was none.

Not me though. 2 and 3 are leagues better than 1 in every way.

Tuck

Can't fast travel between bonfires (at least until way late in the game?)
There are so many shortcuts that this is a complete non issue. Its so easy to cut across the entire map in like a minute.

The later sections aren't like this which is why they needed bonfire warping which is why they're worse.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The lack of fast travel was a boon for Dark Souls. Maybe if they didn't design DS2 with immediate access to it in mind the world wouldn't be gutter trash

Also the ability to level up at any bonfire instead of having to go through a loading screen. Ah Dark Souls 1, why are you so good?

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Bloodborne > Dark Souls 3 > Demon's Souls > Dark Souls 1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dark Souls 2

Femto.

There are no "Soulsborne" games. There is the Souls series.

Soulsborne is used in the same vain as Metroidvania. It encompasses all of the Souls games and Bloodborne because they share a lot of similar elements, but there are almost no other games that can replicate it's formula.

I haven't played Nioh yet so that could fit under "Soulsborne" I guess? I'd let the community decide.

RatCupcake

Neo Member
I loved Dark Souls and I only played it a couple of years ago. It was awesome despite me playing it pretty late and I don't think I'll ever forget Ornstein and Smough - I struggled with them so badly!

I got really bored playing Dark Souls II and haven't gone back to it since and I enjoyed Dark Souls III but haven't finished it since I lost my save after putting about fifty hours in. Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to pick up Bloodborne yet but most of my friends claim that it's the best.

Torokil

Dark Souls 1 level design is the GOAT and has the best estus flask system. What is this tomfoolery.

Moonlight Butterfly sucks but the bosses are still good overall. Dark Souls 2 had shit level design and Dark Souls 3 had very few noteworthy bosses.

Echoplx

Sounds like you're upset because you can't cheese your way through the game with a friend as easily

git gud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom