• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think the Nintendo Switch will have a HUGE Holiday 2017

With the fantastic launch sales of the Switch, I started to think if and how Nintendo would be able to keep this train rolling throughout the year and into the future. I think launch momentum will carry them for a few months, Mario Kart 8 will create a boost at the end of April, and Splatoon 2 will create another boost during the summer... Which brings us to the holidays.

A $299 Switch Zelda Bundle, with Super Mario Odyssey just arriving on shelves, presumably to critical acclaim, will be an amazing combination. If this happens I believe Nintendo could sweep the rug out from under Microsoft & Sony this holiday season.

Thoughts, GAF? Am I right?

sense

Scorpio

Edit: on topic, with games like destiny 2, battlefront, cod, rdr2, assassins creed etc... likely missing switch it will be hard to stand out when the competition will be selling consoles for 249 or 199. They will have a good holiday for themselves with mario but wont be beating the competition.

Peltz

A $299 Switch Zelda Bundle, with Super Mario Odyssey just arriving on shelves, presumably to critical acclaim, will be an amazing combination. If this happens I believe Nintendo could sweep the rug out from under Microsoft & Sony this holiday season.

Thoughts, GAF? Am I right?

I think you're right that Nintendo is positioned to see success this holiday. But you're wrong in assuming it will be the number 1 selling system. It has potential, but it's still too early to predict what will be the hottest selling console this year.

maxcriden

I agree with you. I don't think they will bundle a major single player seller like Zelda, though. I think MK8 (since many didn't play it on Wii U) is a solid candidate for a pack-in. But if costs prevent a pack-in entirely I still think it will do exceptionally well this holiday, especially if we get Pokémon Stars. I'd be interested to see how any major third party games would fare, such as Skyrim (rumored for Fall I believe) and any other possible major third party games really. I think Spla2n and a Smash port as mentioned above would be a big boon to sales as well.

Skyzard

Banned
249 with zelda or mario could work* if they've fixed the issues with it.

*won't beat ps4 unless it's like 180 with a pack-in and very heavily marketed.

ViolentP

No intention on starting any console argument bullshit but Sony has really killed it this first quarter. If Nintendo can deliver similar output during holiday, it will be the one of the two people will remember. Still, a daunting task.

Phoenixus

There's the unannounced Wii U ports of Mario Maker and Smash 4 as well. They'll sell well by default but even better so with new content.

Neoxon

That depends on if the rumors of Pokémon Stars coming to the Switch are true (assuming it drops alongside Super Mario Odyssey for the holidays if true). If that's the case, the Switch will likely have a huge holiday season even without a price drop. There's also the rumors of Smash 4 Deluxe (which seems a bit more likely right now), but I'm not sure if that'd be a holiday release with Mario & supposedly Pokémon ready to go for Black Friday (maybe Smash could be in October).

That said, knocking the price down to $249 would be nice to get more people on-board during the holiday rush.

Isn't the next Red Dead coming out during the holiday season?
That alone will eclipse whatever Nintendo releases and rugs will remain unswept.

hoserx

I think Scorpio is gonna flop.

Giga-flop? Anyways, I'm not sure how "scorpio" is a valid post in this thread. At least offer some explanation. Personally, I don't think a $500+ console is going to blow the doors off of any stores........ but I could be wrong.

maxcriden

I think Scorpio is gonna flop.

I agree with you and with Hoserx who posted just above me. I don't think Scorpio will be major competition directly to Switch's success and I don't expect it to be a huge hit. If XB1 is lagging behind PS4, I don't think people will want to spend more to get XB1 games, I imagine those primarily interested in DB franchises already have an XB1 at this point so if it's a question of a secondary console a Scorpio may be an unappealingly expensive proposition for those gamers.

249 with zelda or mario could work if they've fixed the issues with it.

I mentioned above that I'm skeptical about Zelda being bundled in, but I especially don't think they will bundle in Mario when the game releases as people will gladly pay for that one separately and they don't tend to pack in brand new Mario games ever.

Hari Seldon

Yeah $50 price drop with a pack in. But still you cannot play any of the big AAA multiplayer games on it so that really does set a ceiling to its potential. It needs to be cheap enough were people don't mind spending money on it just for a few novelty games.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe would be a much more realistic and beneficial pack-in. A console with 2-player Mario Kart OUT OF THE BOX? That'd be huge.

Too early to say. There's still an overarching concern that Nintendo exclusives are insufficient to carry Nintendo platforms, as we saw with Wii U and GC. And Switch is going to go without every big name multiplatform title this fall and is more expensive than its competition (not just the system itself, but also its accessories).

I'm not convinced the market is terribly into the idea of reinvesting in recycled Wii U titles and a system devoid of AAA multiplatform games.

Gator86

A higher price than the other consoles, a lineup consisting of just a few great games, and a complete lack of any 3rd party essentials probably means no. If you're a family buying a console for the new cod, Destiny 2, RDR2, or any of the terrific stuff from earlier this year, you're gonna ignore the Switch. If you're buying a consoles to play half a dozen Nintendo games each gear, then the Switch is a terrific choice. I'm not sure how much bigger that market is than the WiiU base.

DMONKUMA

Depends....

Destiny 2 and RDR2(hopefully) are coming towards the end of this year and they will dominate the charts over stuff like Mario. Unless Destiny 2 is coming to Switch as well.

Oh if Pokemon Stars is revealed and comes out towards the end of the year then that's Nintendo ticket.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Scorpio is going to cost more than $400 Microsoft no what ordinance it's pursuing. Mass market adoption is not it. Switch will depend on pricing and whether all it's scheduled games (and OS additions etc) stick to schedule.

If they do it could have a pretty good Christmas much like the 3DS did.

JoeM86

Scorpio

Edit: on topic, with games like destiny 2, battlefront, cod, rdr2, assassins creed etc... likely missing switch it will be hard to stand out when the competition will be selling consoles for 249 or 199. They will have a good holiday for themselves with mario but wont be beating the competition.

Mario + rumoured Pokémon.

Nope, won't have issues

E-phonk

Banned
It will do well but it won't "sweep the floor" with anything in EU and USA.
JPN though, yeah - I can see it passing PS4 LTD in 2018

I predict something like this:
EU: PS4 - NS - XB1
USA: PS4 - XB1 / NS (tied)
JPN: NS - PS4

PS4 Slim will probably be $200 with a copy of Horizon Zero Dawn. Xbox One S will be $200 with a copy of a game from whatever third party they've managed to bribe.

Switch really needs to be $250 with a game to be successful this holiday.

Kilau

Gold Member
Unless Scorpio ends up being a handheld, Nintendo will have that market all to themselves.

We're 8 months away from holiday. A lot of Switch games still don't have released dates. Don't you think it's too early to discuss this?

doop_

Banned
I think it will do good if Pokemon comes to it. I can imagine them launching on the same day like Sm4sh and ORAS.

The thing a lot of posts here are missing is that Nintendo is positioning the Switch once again as a secondary console. Yes, it technically competes with Xbone and PS4 but it's also doing it's own thing. So the fact that it misses RDR2, Destiny, etc and is way less powerful than Scorpio is kind of irrelevant.

I think it's gonna do really well this Holiday.

Top Bottom