• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charli XCX - Number 1 Angel (Mixtape)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheddahz

Banned
charli-xcx-number-1-angel-mixtape

1. “Dreamer” feat. Starrah and RAYE
2. “3AM (Pull Up)” feat. MØ
3. “Blame It On U”
4. “Roll With Me”
5. “Emotional”
6. “ILY2″
7. “White Roses”
8. “Babygirl” feat. Uffie
9. “Drugs” feat. Abra
10. “Lipgloss” feat. CupcakKe

Streams:
Spotify
Soundcloud
Apple Music

Can't help it, I always think of her as Xenoblade Chronicles X. Charli, embrace your destiny and sing "don't worry bout the future, it's alright..."

Cool voice, though. I hope there's something as good as Boom Clap on here.

Falchion

Awesome! I wish Spotify had a better notification system for new music from artists you follow. Drugs showed up on my release radar playlist today, but I had no clue it was part of an entire mixtape.

Galang

Banned
Yes!! Here for her and cupcakke. Hopefully someone makes a thread for cupcakke's next mixtape.

She makes awful music but she's really really really attractive.

She makes awesome music from time to time. True Romance was brilliant, but ever since she's only had a song here and there that matches the quality of the songs from that album. She's good enough for me and I'm glad she's at least experimenting with her sound rather than always playing it safe. The results aren't always pleasant, but I enjoy what she does.

rhandino

Banned
I really need to listen to this since her last 2 albums and that Vroom Vroom thing range from excellent to good.

Will do today after work =3

Vazduh

Me before Charli's new mixtape:

tumblr_n66u1sAW4X1tq4of6o1_500.gif

Me after listening to Charli's mixtape:

urp6aXX.gif

Whew, that double punch of Drugs and Lipgloss...

pVwSIPC.gif

Vazduh

"Drugs", White Roses, "Roll With Me" are the best songs on this thing.

I'm hoping her next album has similar quality songs on it.

It'll have the same producers (SOPHIE, Danny L Harle, AG Cook), but she/her label teamed them up with Stargate which on paper sounds like a great thing, but all of them produced After The Afterparty, so...

It'll have the same producers (SOPHIE, Danny L Harle, AG Cook), but she/her label teamed them up with Stargate which on paper sounds like a great thing, but all of them produced After The Afterparty, so...
But After The Afterparty is good though....

In which way
In every way.

Monday to Sunday doing it our way
RiRi on replay, cheers to the weekday
We're all in, we're all in love, yeah
Drop, drop, drop, drop, drop
And we do it like ice cream for dinner
Bucket of liqueur, we're getting sicker
Don't need Ibiza
We're all in, we're all in love, yeah

Charli, slay me with your debauchery & excess.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Charli XCX is interesting in the sense that she tends to release a couple of genuine bangers from time to time amidst a sea of mediocrity.

So far I'm hearing no bangers.

Love the mixtape.
Btw, she said on the BBC interview that her album will be different, with songs that sound more like "Pull Up" instead of the rest.

Will listen later but I agree, Charli is extremely talented but some of her output is pretty bad. True Romance was great, but half of Sucker was bad, Vroom Vroom was awful and After The Afterparty is McCartney-esque Beatles nursery rhyme bad.

Im usually ok with artists exploring new sounds but she has been really leaning towards this sound for some time now. Shame because this style lends itself to a couple great songs amongst mediocre songs, whereas True Romance had a lot more variety and was more enjoyable as a whole.

BTails

Listened on the treadmill during lunch today. I ended up really enjoying out. Standout track for me was "Emotional", I could see that being a big hit if it gets put forward as a single.

big ander

Sucker is mad underrated. Die tonight, famous, breaking up, body of my own—all stand up to true romance. Boom clap and break the rules are good. My weezer soft spot means I even kinda like hanging around.

Vroom vroom and partnering with the bubblegum bass crowd's the right move though, the sound works perfect with her persona. What I've heard of this is nice

she'll probably never make a song better than Superlove

eldudebro

I loved True Romance. Sucker was a great pop album.

Not a fan of where her music is going to be honest. Her output of late has been absolutely dreadful.

neshcom

Banned
Looking forward to listening to this. Her work with SOPHIE and AG Cook really got me to dive into more PC Music stuff.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Even tho almost everything she has done since True Romance hasn't really been up my alley I can still bop to it a bit. Doesn't grab me in the same way but Chuck's got a good sense for pop songwriting, so even at their worst her songs can still be pretty infectious.

That said, everything CupcakKe (aka. the literal best living rapper in my opinion) touches is an instant classic and I'm glad she is getting recognition.

Servbot24

Banned
There have been some good singles lately but hopefully her album is back to her hold ways, not in terms of sound necessarily but just being crazy and quality.

Boom Clap
Superlove
I WANNA WIN, I WANT THAT TROPHY

all those

All of Vroom Vroom is amazing, but then I'm a SOPHIE obsessive. Charli XCX to me just seemed like a medium he could work very well through, but a glancing first listen of this suggests she might be able to do more on her own account than I was giving her credit for.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Alright when Charli first announced she was going to be doing a project with the PC Music clowns I feared the worst, but this turned out WAY better than expected. Been listening all day. This shits on Sucker, even with all the chipmunk voices.

solid project from Charli. the hip hop influence in the first track is dope and I also really like the corny 90s/early 00s vocal techno stuff in here too.

and that track with Uffie sounds like a Mariah Carey track. :whew:

Yup. Really good follow up to Vroom Vroom. Hoping she sticks to this track for a while because it really works for her (and I like it).

This is pretty good. I think I might like Vroom Vroom a little more (Paradise is kinda bad but the other 3 tracks make me wanna flip a car) but this does still have a lot of good stuff on it.

Actually this is probably the best full length thing from her I've heard. ILY2 is so good, when she goes synthrock, phew. I really hope that pop punk record surfaces one day :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom