• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scammed out of a promotion at work. What to do now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first job out of college and I've been here for about 2 years. I work closely with the Accounting Team at a fast-growing franchiser, that wants to go public next year. I've had flawless performance reviews since I started here. I am also a registered CPA.

Five months ago, I had a one on one meeting with the CFO, where he told me I'm overqualified for what I'm doing and said he was going to give me a substantial promotion into the Accounting department as soon as they could work out the details.

For a while things were looking good. Then the company hired a new Controller.

I am only filling in the blanks here because I don't have access to all the information, but it seems to me that the Controller doesn't think I have enough experience for the promotion that the CFO promised me. Even though the Controller works under the CFO, since I'd be working directly for the Controller, he has substantial say in what happens.

Last month, the Controller told me he was working on creating a new role for me. I was a little disappointed, since it wasn't as flashy as the original promised promotion, but I would have been okay with it.

Yesterday, the Controller took me aside and told me that he had a spot for me on the accounting team as an Accounting Analyst... which is a strictly lateral move. For context, when I was hired two years ago, another girl I graduated with started on the same day as me. Her title on day one was "Accounting Analyst."

At first I was like "well okay fine," but the more I thought about it, the more insulted I felt. I called in 'sick' today in protest and to get myself in the right headspace, but now I'm trying to figure out what to do.

I've already started applying to other jobs, but I'm wondering if there are any steps I should take at my current position. I thought about requesting a meeting with the CFO and asking him what the deal is.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? How did you handle it?

TL;DR: I was promised a promotion by the CFO, but then they hired a new Controller, who scrapped the promotion and offered me a lateral move instead.

Ban Puncher

image.php

Do you report directly to the Controller? If so I wouldn't go above his head about it unless you guys have a open door policy. I would personally try to meet with the controller and speak to them about my concerns. Of course I would be looking elsewhere as well and it'll be up to the company to make the decision if they feel I should be promoted.

Saganator

Two years a decent stint in the corporate world, it's perfectly normal for people to get their pay bumps and promotions by leaving the company they work for. Sounds like it's time for you to start looking.

mike6467

Yeah, I've had this happen. In my case though they brought in a guy to tighten things up and were entirely aware he was going to be breaking those promises in the name of efficiency and productivity and blah blah blah.

I wouldn't bother dealing with the CFO, because I'd assume he's already on board with all this. You're doing the right thing by getting your resume out there. If you REALLY like the company otherwise (people, benefits, etc), wait for an offer and take it to them for a counter offer. Tell them that you need to be progressing in your career, and given you had a promotion denied you needed to look elsewhere.

If you're neutral to the company otherwise, get out of there as soon as you can.

Maybe I missed this, but what exactly are you doing now? Is the Accounting Analyst a lateral move only in the financial sense, or will you still be one step closer to your goal?

If the Controller doesn't think you have experience, theres no reason to fight. Maybe its best if you stay in the AA role to get the experience you need?

My biggest mistake out of college was thinking I was ready for bigger things when I wasn't. Regardless of what the CFO promised, this may be better for you long term.

Also, having he mindset that you where "scammed" out of it comes off that you may be a bit more entitled that you should be? Nothing you described is remotely close to a scam in any sense of the word.

They gave me a pay raise a few weeks ago. I have a feeling that was intended to cushion the blow of not actually getting a title promotion.

It might sound silly but the feeling of moving up in the company is at least as important to me as the extra pay. It's a psychological thing - and in my new role I'd actually be reporting to people who I have been working together with as equals up to now :/

My current role is basically as the liaison between the Treasury team and the Accounting team.

I agree that "scammed" isn't quite the right word for it but I wanted a flashy thread title to get people to comment :p

Al-ibn Kermit

First, you apply around and then you talk to the CFO when you get an offer saying it's nothing personal. I'm assuming the controller is somebody with seniority who muscled his way into the position but the way you explain it to the CFO is that you need to chase opportunities.

I'm assuming the sideways bump comes with a minimal salary increase (<10%). In which case sitting down with the CFO, he may offer you a more substantial sort of bump in position and salary or he might not have anything that they can do for you because their budget is used up or there's no vacancies. Either way, I'd keep the bridge from burning while being honest about your reasons.

GetLucky

I don't think scammed is the correct term. I had a similar situation in which I signed up for a seven year training process at a company in Chicago. I moved there from Indiana and the company was sold in......three months. The new company did not want to train me like the original company.

So in essence, shit happens. The company has every right to change their mind, especially with new people taking over. But you also have every right to leave. I would recommend you start looking elsewhere.

They gave me a pay raise a few weeks ago. I have a feeling that was intended to cushion the blow of not actually getting a title promotion.

It might sound silly but the feeling of moving up in the company is at least as important to me as the extra pay. It's a psychological thing - and in my new role I'd actually be reporting to people who I have been working together with as equals up to now :/

My current role is basically as the liaison between the Treasury team and the Accounting team.

I agree that "scammed" isn't quite the right word for it but I wanted a flashy thread title to get people to comment :p

So you don't want to do this any more, you only want to be on the Accounting Team as an Accounting Analyst?

This is probably best and will get you the experience you need. I wouldn't compare your situation to a different new hire two years ago. Lots of people get hired into positions others work their way up to.

Meet with the Controller and tell him how you will make the company more money. Have an actual plan. Demonstrate your quality. Make yourself invaluable. Have another job offer ready, that you can use as leverage.

Just existing in your role, whether you're overqualified or not, gives them no incentive to promote you.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The obvious thing to do is ask for a meeting with your boss and lay out what you were told by the CFO and explain that you think this is a lateral move. I wouldn't use the word promise to describe what the CFO said, but it was a discussion and the new boss needs to know you haven't forgotten.

Yeah, I've had this happen. In my case though they brought in a guy to tighten things up and were entirely aware he was going to be breaking those promises in the name of efficiency and productivity and blah blah blah.

I wouldn't bother dealing with the CFO, because I'd assume he's already on board with all this. You're doing the right thing by getting your resume out there. If you REALLY like the company otherwise (people, benefits, etc), wait for an offer and take it to them for a counter offer. Tell them that you need to be progressing in your career, and given you had a promotion denied you needed to look elsewhere.

If you're neutral to the company otherwise, get out of there as soon as you can.

I wouldn't recommend taking an external offer to your current company to see if they will match/counter. It gets too awkward and management might look at you as just in it for the money and look to replace you once they've found someone, so the raise would be temporary.

I will however find a offer you want and plan to accept and let them know you put in your two weeks. Once they have that information, it is up to them to counter to try to keep you. From there if you REALLY like the company and they want to make things right you can choose to stay.

Clearos

You are doing the right thing with job hunting outside the company. Minus a really good promotion it is the best way to increase your title/salary in the corporate world.

I would speak with the controller, they might not be knowledgeable of your past achievements and showing them that you are looking to advanced in the company is always a good thing.

In the corporate world, nothing is guaranteed unless it is in writing. I was offered a promotion while i was looking externally and I had a meeting with HR/Upper management to get it in writing that the promotion was indeed going to me and that my salary would increase on the said date. Until that happened I continued to take interviews from other companies.

--I missed your second post: Continue to look outside of the company. Pay raise is nice but a title/responsibility is what will really get you where you want to go.

cwmartin

and in my new role I'd actually be reporting to people who I have been working together with as equals up to now :/

Be careful with this kind of thinking. I work with lots of people every day, every week, as "equals". But they are other peoples bosses, or have seniority in different ways (titles, experience). Everyone should be treating each other as "equals" when it comes to getting work done, but that doesn't mean you should always get their same titles and pay because you think you deserve it.

Also, never shop around for an offer with the mindset of taking it to your existing employer for a raise. You'll have a target on your back.

Aside from the girl from two years ago, what else makes this a lateral move?

Lateral in the company or lateral in your career? Will taking the AA position get you closer to your goal than you are now? This is important to think about.

The obvious thing to do is ask for a meeting with your boss and lay out what you were told by the CFO and explain that you think this is a lateral move. I wouldn't use the word promise to describe what the CFO said, but it was a discussion and the new boss needs to know you haven't forgotten.

But how does that give them any incentive to promote him? Just saying he is owed something doesn't make it so. You need to demonstrate value.

Edit: about the job offer, it's more of a BATNA than a bargaining chip. But you can use it as a Hail Mary if necessary to try to get that promotion if all else fails.

Rad-

I fucking hate lateral moves. It feels like you basically reset your career and have to work your ass off once again to impress your new bosses. That's my experience at least.

But how does that give them any incentive to promote him? Just saying he is owed something doesn't make it so. You need to demonstrate value.

I1W5lyN.png

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

He can do both. I'm saying lay the cards on the table.

Only thing I would disagree with is bringing in another offer to the discussion. Bad idea. Even if you have another offer I would wait until that's the last option and even then I would have them ask about the numbers.

Apathy

You're still young and in your first career, but one if the things you should do is be looking for jobs outside of your company. Not necessarily because you constantly want to leave but because it gives you options and it gives you some knowledge of how much your skills are work and some leverage at your company. That way, in situations like this you can go and make a better case on why you need a better promotion.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be looking to leave this place anyway and get that better position you were promised elsewhere, just stay at this pave while you look.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Are you happy with the raise? If not, you can probably start looking for work elsewhere. You've worked there for two years now, so it's long enough for you to leave without raising eyebrows.

Besides, you're fresh out of college. Might want to see what else is out there.

ferr

Sometimes it takes proof to see how qualified someone is. Your CFO recognized you as "overqualified" after 1-2 years working together. You gained his trust in this amount of time and he saw that your skills were greater than your resume.

In comes a new boss apparently, this Controller. He doesn't have this trust developed yet. All he has is your resume, and maybe some nice words from the CFO. You're at a total disadvantage, and may need to spend another 1-2 years developing trust -- although it may be shorter as 1) The CFO may have spoken well of you to the Controller, 2) You already have 2 years of experience.

2 years is always a good amount of time to have had a job, on top of adding CPA status to your resume.. new job sounds like a better deal for you.

Tell them that you were expecting a promotion and you don't feel this reflects the good work you've been doing there? Are you able to decline this job move, and tell them you feel it would be a step down and you would be reporting to people who are presently considered equals? Or, just put up with it and it get looking for a new job, stat. If you go for this option maybe tell or email the CFO to say you're a bit disappointed as you were expecting an actual promotion, and when you leave reiterate to him this is why you're leaving.

Is the title of Accounting Analyst an improvement on your current title? Can you negotiate another pay raise with the move?

I say take the new role, and then think about applying for a new job. You may be well suited for another quick promotion if you really are that well qualified and experienced, so perhaps you can negotiate an expedited review and look to get another promotion in 6 months or so, or you do so well that another promotion is granted in a year or so.

Talking to the Controller about it is pointless. He was well aware of the original plan. I am about 95% sure that he pushed back on the idea of a promotion. For that reason, I resent him, and that won't change unless something drastic happens.

So it sounds like the best course is to start looking for other jobs, and until I find one, learn as much as I can in this new role and keep my mouth shut about it (so no meeting with the CFO).

Makes sense. Thanks guys

Meet with the Controller and tell him how you will make the company more money. Have an actual plan. Demonstrate your quality. Make yourself invaluable. Have another job offer ready, that you can use as leverage.

Just existing in your role, whether you're overqualified or not, gives them no incentive to promote you.

Listen to this.

The Controller doesn't know you. He's new. Make him aware of what you bring to the table and demonstrate to him why your CFO considered you for that promotion in the first place. Once he becomes more familiar with the new surroundings and can distinguish the hard workers from the complacent ones, you'll shine above the rest. You'll be that constant flicker in the dark; he won't be able to deny it and he'll realize why HIS boss thought so highly of you.

Rad-

Listen to this.

The Controller doesn't know you. He's new. Make him aware of what you bring to the table and demonstrate to him why your CFO considered you for that promotion in the first place. Once he becomes more familiar with the new surroundings and can distinguish the hard workers from the complacent ones, you'll shine above the rest. You'll be that constant flicker in the dark; he won't be able to deny it and he'll realize why HIS boss thought so highly of you.

This is true but then again, this will take time as well. I can see how OP feels upset considering he was basically promised a promotion before and now it gets pushed even further away (and still might not even happen).

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Talking to the Controller about it is pointless. He was well aware of the original plan. I am about 95% sure that he pushed back on the idea of a promotion.

You know this for a fact?? One of the biggest lessons I've learned in management is how much people assume you know stuff about them or have knowledge of all that happened or is happening. We aren't demi gods. Sometimes we just aren't aware of things that you think should be obvious.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
You're doing the right thing. The best way to get what you want is to get your resume out and have them counter offer, when you get an offer elsewhere.

NH Apache

Banned
Time to start fresh. Too much history there.

You aren't going to get a significant pay raise by staying at the same company (it's really rare). Move on and prep that resume. Talk to people at professional society meetings.

Took me six months to find a good job but I'm getting a 50% increase in pay. 10 minutes from my previous job. I even allowed my current job to counter, but they couldn't get close.

That's the way to go.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
How is this your first job out of college if you got a CPA? Don't you need work requirement before getting that designation?

ferr

You're doing the right thing. The best way to get what you want is to get your resume out and have them counter offer, when you get an offer elsewhere.

That never ends well. There are studies that show most people don't last 6 months after this.

You know this for a fact?? One of the biggest lessons I've learned in management is how much people assume you know stuff about them or have knowledge of all that happened or is happening. We aren't demi gods. Sometimes we just aren't aware of things that you think should be obvious.

In a recent conversation with my current boss (who is a great guy and has been on my side for this whole thing, I should point out), he let it slip that there had been some "pushback" with regard to the position I was supposed to be getting. There is no one else it could have been.

How is this your first job out of college if you got a CPA? Don't you need work requirement before getting that designation?

Yes, I got my one year of work experience at this position. I received my license in the fall of last year.

Pagusas

Elden Member
This is a tale as old as time. Its what organizations do to keep good people in the roles they are valued in (to the organization at the time, not to the employee). They kept you happy and working hard just by "promising" you an imaginary position. They got their value out of you now they are milking you with a lateral move thinking you'll be just satisfied enough to stay, and if you leave then no major loss as they got the time out of you.

Never ever trust anyone regarding promotions until you've actually gotten the promotion or at least a written goal sheet that outlines the progress needed to achieve said promotion.

The best thing you can do is leave and find a place that puts you right into the role you want to be in.

Voice your opinions to the Controller. You can't get what you want if you don't tell him what you want. Make sure he understands why you're upset with this latest "promotion" and tell him that you've earned more than that. Put the ball back in his court.

Do not go to the CFO directly unless the Controller tells you to suck it. Once you go to the CFO you have to plan to potentially leave the company.

Teletraan1

Banned
Apply for new jobs and move on when you get one. It ultimately depends on your mindset. If you stay and constantly feel like you were "scammed" or even slighted it is going to affect your performance there on some level if you let it fester. A fresh start somewhere else might be a better move.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
In a recent conversation with my current boss (who is a great guy and has been on my side for this whole thing, I should point out), he let it slip that there had been some "pushback" with regard to the position I was supposed to be getting. There is no one else it could have been.

You've already made up your mind that's it the new guy without proof, that's fine. Your current boss could be lying, the push back could've come from him for all you know. You'd be surprised how these things work in the back end. Lots of jockeying. If you lay your cards out, your suspicions may bear fruit, maybe not, but I'd prefer that for you and from the boss' angle.

Dynasty

Start applying for other jobs, once you get an offer that beats you current one and are willing to change jobs for, then speak to yor CFO, say you were under the impression that you were going to recieve a promotion, say you understand situation may have changed but may have no choice but to leave if there are no oppertunities to progress further in this job.

entremet

This is a tale as old as time. Its what organizations do to keep good people in the roles they are valued in (to the organization at the time, not to the employee). They kept you happy and working hard just by "promising" you an imaginary position. They got their value out of you now they are milking you with a lateral move thinking you'll be just satisfied enough to stay, and if you leave then no major loss as they got the time out of you.

Never ever trust anyone regarding promotions until you've actually gotten the promotion or at least a written goal sheet that outlines the progress needed to achieve said promotion.

The best thing you can do is leave and find a place that puts you right into the role you want to be in.

Yep. It works too lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom