• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Should Parents Do When Their Kid's Favorite YouTuber Gets Racist?

Waypoint.

As Monday was winding down, I came across a Gizmodo article that highlighted some incendiary, explicitly white nationalist immigration commentary made by Jon "JonTron" Jafari, a popular YouTube creator known for playing games. (He also co-founded, and later left, Game Grumps.) I tweeted this out of sheer anxiety: "It scares the shit out of me that my kid might end up watching hours of someone like this, who 'just plays games,' and I'd miss all this."

For most of my life, I've been able to answer question questions about my future children in hypothetical terms. "What order will they watch the Star Wars movies?" "Will you let them play violent video games?" With the birth of my daughter last August, though, the terms are much starker; pretty soon, these questions will need to be answered—and it's got me nervous.

In the weeks after Donald Trump became President, a lot of folks, myself included, have become more politically active, and there's nothing inherently wrong with Jafari joining the fray. You can write, talk, and stream about games while engaging in politics. But the freedom to share an idea doesn't mean people have to like or respect what you have to say, and it can be hard to separate personas. My own writing is deeply imbued with my progressive politics, and if that bothers people, I never blame them for looking elsewhere. I wear my politics on my sleeve, but I'm a well-read 32-year-old purposely seeking out political discussion. I'm not a kid.

(If you find the time, listen to the whole interview. The excerpts aren't enough.)

Jafari, a half Iranian and half Hungarian YouTube creator whose success is built on Google, a website founded by immigrants, isn't sharing your everyday disagreements on immigration reform. He's sharing rhetoric that, until recently, was relegated to the fringes of alt-right debates, arguing "we don't need immigrants from incompatible places" and that "if it weren't for the founding stock of the country I wouldn't be able to have these opportunities."

He's even defending Republican congressional representative Steve King, who recently argued"we can't restore our civilization with somebody else's babies," has embraced birther conspiracies about former President Obama, and said racial profiling looters was in Ferguson was okay because they "all appear to be of a single origin, I should say, a continental origin."

That's not mainstream, a minor difference in opinion. It's something very different.

Way more at the link.

I mean, I think the real question is, do these personal views find their way into the content that your kid is watching? For example, does JonTron spout his controversial opinions in his gaming videos, or does he keep it separate?

For example, Roman Polanski has done some illegal things, but that doesn't make The Pianist a bad movie that we should avoid. Bill Cosby has been in trouble with the law over sexual abuse allegations, but his legal troubles never spilled over into the Cosby Show.

There's a difference between boycotting a person and his or her products/services because you don't agree with them, and avoiding their products and services because their ideologies spill over into their content.

Gnilres

I mean, I think the real question is, do these personal views find their way into the content that your kid is watching? For example, does JonTron spout his controversial opinions in his gaming videos, or does he keep it separate?

For example, Roman Polanski has done some illegal things, but that doesn't make The Pianist a bad movie that we should avoid. Bill Cosby has been in trouble with the law over sexual abuse allegations, but his legal troubles never spilled over into the Cosby Show.

There's a difference between boycotting a person and his or her products/services because you don't agree with them, and avoiding their products and services because their ideologies spill over into their content.

Agreed. I'm hating Jon as a person but still love his videos. Unfortunately, he started talking politics in his latest Q&A =/

Kids aren't exactly the demographic that will be able to understand these differences. Additionally, there are plenty of people who BOTH make good content and aren't racist, and should be supported instead.

Nabs

They spill over onto twitter, where a lot of kids/fans keep up with JonTron. He has almost 2 million subscribers there.

Agreed. I'm hating Jon as a person but still love his videos. Unfortunately, he started talking politics in his latest Q&A =/

Welp.

I don't watch Jon's stuff, but from my understanding his videos are completely disconnected to his political views. If somebody's trying to politically evangelize in their meme youtube gaming channel I could see the concern though.

Whoops there goes that I guess.

Order

Your continued support is giving people like him the message that there's nothing wrong with what he said.

wrowa

I don't watch Jon's stuff, but from my understanding his videos are completely disconnected to his political views. If somebody's trying to politically evangelize in their meme youtube gaming channel I could see the concern though.

We're living in the age of social media. A fan of JonTron will likely also follow him on social media like Twitter. So, even if his videos remain free of his political views, he might very well influence kids on other channels.

The solution to that? Hoping that you've been a good enough parent so that your kid realizes that someone's views are hateful or misguided.

Have a discussion about racism with your child. It's a good jumping off point.

This is a good idea. It's a complex topic, but as good a time as any.

Kids aren't exactly the demographic that will be able to understand these differences. Additionally, there are plenty of people who BOTH make good content and aren't racist, and should be supported instead.

This is also very true. We have a glut of content on the internet related to gaming. You really don't have to "look the other way" on this stuff considering you could support other creators.

LinLeigh

I completely disagree. Watching their products funds them and keeps them in the public eye. Which is normalising the issues and sending the message that we as a society think the behaviour is okay.

Wasn't there a video making the rounds during all of this of him repeatedly saying "nigger" that was bleeped out while they were playing some Sonic game. Did I imagine that or did somebody just claim that was the word he was saying? I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure the context for what he was saying was in the video. Because that's exactly what Patrick is talking about wanting to avoid.

hotcyder

HYmcAnG.jpg

LinLeigh

The solution to that? Hoping that you've been a good enough parent so that your kid realizes that someone's views are hateful or misguided.

Agreed although it depends an age. If they are too young to understand the issue I would ban them from watching.

If they are old enough to understand I hope my parenting has paid off and they don't want to follow them.

grim-tales

I dont think Jon is really political in his videos (in his 2017 Q&A he said he didnt want politics in them AFAIK), there are occasional political jabs - but the things he said here... its not just supporting Trump over Obama or whatever, it was very dangerous white supremacy stuff almost, and I can't see his personality in the videos like I did, he's not a friendly guy who plays games.
It means I view some of the jokes differently too like "This is the alternate universe where Trump wins" and I think "You actually want that?" or the Disney Hitler "Nazi in all of us" from his Disney Bootleg video, you know? I feel I can't support someone who has racist views because a big part of the videos is Jon's personality, and when that's a facade, a lie, it doesnt sit well with me at all,
it's uncomfortable and will make him think his behaviour is okay.
It's totally unacceptable and there is everything wrong with what he said.
A shame because I enjoyed the videos, he's a funny, talented guy.

He would do well to remember his own words "A racist mind is a racist kind".

Well, people could be racist and never say a word about it on their channels (which is more or less what happened with Palmer Luckey) but then I'd ask all of you: Would you actively support a racist? Because that's exactly what you're doing when you watch their videos or subscribe to their channels.

Today, we're able to know much more about an artist's nature than at any time in the past. Between social media profiles and the instant spread of information, if someone whose work we love has views that are incompatible with ours, it's hard *not* to find them out.

Separating the art from the artist has always been troublesome: what is your tipping point? Is it when those views show up in the work you have previously enjoyed? Is it when said artist shouts terrible things from the rooftops on every channel but their "primary" one?

I'd posit that in this particular case, separating the art from the artist is impossible - your viewing is putting money directly in their pocket. You are saying "I don't care that you're spending more and more time trying to further the divide between races, this video had a good gag in it."

The silver lining is this: there's also never been a time where we have more access to art. If a creator that you enjoy starts espousing views that are fundamentally incompatible with yours, it's easy to find another way to spend your time.

tl;dr There are a lot of YouTubers, maybe find one that isn't racist?

Nottle

I remember him saying some pretty fucked up stuff back on game grumps. One was some goof about domestic abuse and it also seemed kind of racist from the voice he was putting on. I also remember him getting really angry when the subject of pro-life was brought up. In a way that was really weird. Guess Jon really likes abortions.

Personally I haven't really watched him much since the goosebumps video.

I don't let my son watch youtubers personally. The majority are obnoxious and behave in a manner that I personally don't find acceptable. At best, I've allowed him to watch specific videos on how to maybe build something in mine craft, but that's rare.

Mesoian

I mean, in the future it's gonna be real hard to keep tabs on what your kids are watching. We're in a realm of wanting to actively hunt down our entertainment, that process making something you like feel unique and meaningful opposed to just having something appear on a screen via cable.

There are conversations that are going to have to be had though. I remember my niece asking my brother why Elmo disappeared off Sesame Street for a while and why all the teachers and parents were saying he was bad. While we sort of had the wherewithal to separate art from artist here and there, it's a lot more difficult for children to do it. I remember having to have had Paula Poundstone's controversy explained to me when all I really wanted to know was why the mom's voice on Home Movies changed.

The more things like this happen, on youtube, on TV, wherever, the most we're going to have to be prepared to have very real conversations with kids. And that's going to be real god damn challenging, but no more challenging than having to explain the concept of miscarriages after seeing "UP".

So gird your loins and get ready to talk it out. Kids are smarter and more understanding than you think they are.

Crazy that racist seems to be the common evolutionary point for popular YouTube personalities.

Let's just say it's a symptom of the places that raise you. If you grew up on /b/ and you decide to make a youtube channel because it looks fine, why would you think you need to clean up your act? You learned it on the internet, you're still on the internet, you're broadcasting to the internet, so why change anything?

We're seeing, first hand, what the results of an echo chamber with no limitations breeds.

I don't let my son watch youtubers personally. The majority are obnoxious and behave in a manner that I personally don't find acceptable. At best, I've allowed him to watch specific videos on how to maybe build something in mine craft, but that's rare.
This seems overly protective and painting with a wide brush. I could point a few YouTubers out that are great and not obnoxious but won't because I don't want to be called a shill.

Nabs

This is good parenting.

I think it's right for him to be called out and held to the fire, and with due respect to my asshole friends, I don't think 'making people mad' is at all a good excuse for using incendiary and frankly stupid rhetoric.

In regards to child rearing I think it's good to touch base with the type of media your kids are consuming, but tied into that is crafting a sense of character and empathy in them as well. They should know before they get on the internet that people claiming that whole swaths of nationalities are unfit to settle here are either idiots or hateful assholes.

I mean, I do think there is something to WASP anxiety, but it has to do with internal structural problems, not projection on external minorities.

Your continued support is giving people like him the message that there's nothing wrong with what he said.

Unfortunately, the opposite is also true, if he loses a shit ton of subscribers he'll be under the impression that he's being slandered for his beliefs. Look at any of the crazy right-wingers nowadays, ignoring them, running away from them, or praising them all carry the same reinforcement of their beliefs. Worrying about how to change THEM is a losing battle.

Mesoian

This seems overly protective and painting with a wide brush. I could point a few YouTubers out that are great and not obnoxious but won't because I don't want to be called a shill.

While true, it is kind of a problem that kids sort of flock to the loud and obnoxious simply because they're the aural equivalent of bright colors and jangling keys. Most good, decent, interesting-while-vulgar comedy isn't for kids, it's for the people watching with kids.

Annoying Orange had 9 seasons. NINE.

You're parents should have already taught you about treating others decently before someone makes a fool of them self on youtube even comes into the equation.

ViolentP

If your kid has a favorite youtuber, you have already failed as a parent, regardless of whether or not said youtuber is a racist.

This makes no sense to me. If Bob Ross or Mr. Rogers were around today and had their own YouTube shows, I would cultivate my child's passion for it.

Alucrid

Banned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwl9ivxldjc

Älg

You're parents should have already taught you about treating others decently before someone makes a fool of them self on youtube even comes into the equation.

oldmanyellsatclouds.jpg

No, but seriously, what's inherently wrong kids following Youtube personalities? I also had people that I followed through media when I was a kid, difference being that they appeared on TV and not on the internet. The concept is the same, its just a new form of delivery.

EDIT: The post was completely changed while I was typing my post.

If your kid has a favorite youtuber, you have already failed as a parent, regardless of whether or not said youtuber is a racist.

He doesn't talk about his politics through his show but anyone who really likes Jon can find his twitter where he has no problem expressing his racist and misogynistic opinions.

Edit:
Spoke too soon.

LinLeigh

Unfortunately, the opposite is also true, if he loses a shit ton of subscribers he'll be under the impression that he's being slandered for his beliefs. Look at any of the crazy right-wingers nowadays, ignoring them, running away from them, or praising them all carry the same reinforcement of their beliefs. Worrying about how to change THEM is a losing battle.

But at least it would be out of the mainstream. And we give the people they set out to hurt a strong message.

If I hear my local butcher shout racist shit no one would argue I need to keep going to his shop.

But when it is online we are expected to kinda just shrug.

Manzoon

Banned
It's already been stated before, but we live in an era with a glut of content. Finding someone who has ideals worth supporting is not that difficult. I don't regret watching and liking JonTron in the past, but as soon as I caught wind of this he is on my do not support list. If he changes his ways then maybe I'll start watching his content again.

I've had to deal with finding out people way more intelligent and skilled than JonTron, people who actually influenced me formatively, are huge racists and I won't be giving those creators anymore of my time or money either.

RedFury

Saying nigger and faggot every other word is profitable, apparently.
Unfortunately seems to be the case with all these youtubers jumping out of the wood work in front of the bus. Seriously the best thing to do is condemn the racist, second best say nothing, but no (in the perspective of other YouTube's i.e. booty, etc.). These geniuses show their "support" by saying I don't agree with him...but he has a point. It's good in my opinion these idiots out them selves, makes it easier to avoid them.

All I can say OP from one parent to another, be vigilant. As someone in an interracial relationship with a boy (not of my blood) that I raise as my own I think it's important he learns about the issues and understands what it means. I teach my son critical thinking tell him the facts and let him piece things together on his own with a little guidance. I've been there from the beginning and at the age of 6 he learned I wasn't his blood by peacing a conversation we had about genetics and inheritance traits (specifically zebras) that we had at the zoo (it wasn't immediate he thought about it and asked me a couple days later). The point is a child can learn a lot more than people give them credit for. You decide when he/she becomes a young adult by giving them the "right" morals and knowledge that allows them to make their own informed decisions. My advice is don't shelter them because you'll have your hands full. Not only that when they do come in contact with it anyway they won't be ready for it. The best thing to do is sharpen the pen and they'll be ready for anything.

antibolo

Banned

Don't his friends talk to him about youtubers? Isn't he annoyed that he can't watch them?

Well tbh, I don't want my kid watching YouTube all day in general. Raise your kids how you like. You can spare me the parenting tips though.

Don't his friends talk to him about youtubers? Isn't he annoyed that he can't watch them?

Not really. Not all kids watch youtubers I guess. His cousin watches it and the shit I've seen is crazy obnoxious and above what a 9 year old should be viewing imo in regards to language and content. I know YouTube isn't only that, just brought it up because he's the only other kid I know of that watches it actively.

It's never been that big a deal though. As he gets older, I may be a bit more lax depending on what he's viewing, but we'll cross that road later on I guess.

Jacce

Banned
At least we have places like GAF to keep parents informed.

We have learned to keep kids far away from racist/sexist youtubers like JonTron, Boogie, Colin Moriarty, and PewDiePie.

There are tons of good ones out there that are family friendly and don't engage in sexism and racism luckily, unlike those sad little men.

CamHostage

I'm 40 years old and am having some grandpa issues on this topic ... doesn't get easier or ever get any clearer, kids.

Parents should be monitoring their children's internet usage, so you can control for this or at least ensure they have a better understanding of racism as an issue. The internet, like the television before it, is not a babysitter.

How old is he? That sounds pretty hard to implement from 6-7 yo... Except if you are constantly monitoring your kids...

Opa-Pa

Not only watching their videos gives them money, but young people are very impressionable and hold these youtubers as role models sometimes, and there's no way they won't eventually hear about their views one way or another, or worse, end up following them on Twitter.

Come on, this is obvious, the "separate art from artist" idea doesn't really work in this case. If you enjoy watching a known racist's content then perhaps it's time to reevaluate some stuff in your life.

Top Bottom