• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This whole Q1 feels like Xbox One is nonexistent and Microsoft should be worried

Status
Not open for further replies.

Memento

In January, PS4 had 3 exclusives (granted, niche ones, but still able to make a big splash in the hardcore community, which is very important for the overall perception of the console): Gravity Rush 2, Yakuza 0 and Tales of Berseria. All of them were received very well. Then there was Resident Evil 7, highly associated with PS4 because of the PSVR exclusive version, also very well received, especially the VR version.

February comes. Two high profile PS4 exclusive games are released: Nioh and Horizon Zero Dawn. Amazing reviews, incredible player reception and commercial sucess.

March arrives and Nintendo goes all out with a new console and a new Zelda. PS4 dont lose steam with the release of Nier Automata, yet another incredibly received (console) exclusive. Later in the month, PS4 will get MLB2017, one of the most consistently good sport series ever and it should do well, like always.

I think we can also count early next month, when we could potentially be getting another gen defining game with Persona 5, maybe the best PS4 game yet.

In the mean time, Halo WARS 2 had a stealth release on february, and while it seems like the game is decent (?), the NPD results points it to be a big bomba sales-wise (which is honestly not surprising considering everything: the decline of Halo, the RTS genre on consoles and Xbox One's lack of momentum).
Basically, the Ubisoft multiplatform releases (For Honor in february and Ghost Recond now March) are carrying the console this Q1. Not that this is surprising, considering these 2 games are probably the biggest games of the year sales wise and probably carried the PS4 more than Gravity Rush 2 and Yakuza 0 for obvious reasons. But the thing is: there is no identity atached to the console. Why would anyone buy an Xbox One when we are having this kind of big disparaty on the quantity of games releasing? With each new sucessful new release that doesnt comes out on Xbox One, the PS4 cements its place as THE console to be had and Microsoft agonish a second place even more distant.

And now with the release of Switch, Microsoft could have even its second place threatened if they keep this passive strategy for too long.

That is why I think Scorpio must be REALLY important to Microsoft right now. The reveal needs to be perfect. The launch has to be perfect. They need to aim to "win" this E3. I feel like if Scorpio doesnt work out, the brand will be in real danger.

E3 should be interesting.

Thoughts?

Seems to me like they are just holding back wverythting they can for Scorpio to make a big splash at E3. But they should be worried. State of Decay 2 and Crackdown 3 are not gonna cut it for them.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Halo Wars 2, and....

Nah, I agree. The Xbox One is a letdown. I can't wait for Scorpio.

I keep hearing this every year but Microsoft still survives today

They went from having the biggest install base, 360 vs PS3, to Sony doubling them, PS4 vs X1. You hear it because it is true. In the past five years, the competition kicked Microsoft's ass.

Akai__

When has Xbox ever released a major game in Q1 or even Q2?

Also, RTS games are becomming more and more a niche. Epecially those that are designed arround console controls. Doesn't help that Halo Wars 2 is pretty bad and uninspired compared to the 1st one.

They have to go all out at E3, they just have to. I'll be very disappointed if we don't get release dates for Crackdown 3 and Cuphead, especially Cuphead.

Hopefully the reason Microsoft has been so quiet is because they'll unload everything at E3.

I think the only time I've turned my X1 on this year has been for BC. I hope MS has a lot to show this E3, so far I'm very disappointed with my X1 library.

jelly

They are busy painting those white Xbox One S consoles they made too many of, black.

I think they are in why bother mode until they have something new to show but busy working on features etc.

Aside from releasing games they aren't even talking about shit that's been announced for years. Why do we gotta wait till e3 for the next crackdown 3 update, release a baddass sea of thieves trailer showing off what else you can do, cup head? They're really sitting there waiting for Scorpio

Wedzi

Banned
Pc, ps4 and Twitch is the setup to have... MS seems absolutely lost anymore.

Uh

Anyways this E3 should be interesting to say the least. Part of me thinks they're hiding something, the other part thinks they're silent because they have really don't have any big games in store. Game Pass and Scorpio seem cool though.

painey

I have been dying for something new to play on Xbox. Mass Effect looks like a shambles, but I'm getting it day one just to break the drought.

Yoshi88

Weird. Here i was thinking RE7 actually was a PS4 exclusive. I'm not interested in the game and didn't follow it, but this isn't the first time i had to take a second look at multiplatform titles regarding a XBO release. It's just that XBO has already lost so much mindshare here in mainland Europe, it's actually worrying.

Microsoft releases games in the Fall. Sony releases games in the Spring.

That's how this entire generation has played out, for the most part. There's literally no reason to be acting like this is an apocalyptic scenario.

They need to change that, they rely too much on the holidays

Yeah I agree. I would definitely like to see MS releasing some more exclusives earlier in the year. Sure they had Halo Wars 2 and soon Voodoo Vince Remastered but that one is just a small title. Let's see what they bring at E3.

Microsoft releases games in the Fall. Sony releases games in the Spring.

That's how this entire generation has played out, for the most part. There's literally no reason to be acting like this is an apocalyptic scenario.

Agreed about that. However wasn't Sunset Overdrive released right before summer?

Gator86

Not stellar 1st parties and can't buy up all the 3rd party exclusives like last gen because PS4 is throttling them. I've gotten use out of mine and still enjoy my Xbone, but there's basically no argument for it at this point unless all your friends have one or you fucking love Halo/Forza. It doesn't seem like MS has anything going for them right now.

Kremzeek

If I just owned an XB1 I would be feeling really pissed.

PS4 just keeps coming out with more & better exclusives.

I don't see how Scorpio is going to help- it's just going to be more expensive with better graphics- with the same comparatively meager game library.

Ryuuga

Banned
Then come Fall all the stans like "Wow where are all the XYZ games for the holiday? XYZ fails to deliver another year"

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I mean what do you expect them to do ? They are preferring for Scorpio now and will save their big hitter for that launch. Also most of the Q1 Sony domination comes from the japanese side - thats nothing MS can just fix since the Xbox gets ignored by alot of studios.

1. Berseria and Nier aren't exclusives. Yeah sorry, but this "Console Exclusive" business is just PR-speak to try and pretend something is an exclusive when it's so blatantly not. If it's released on any platform other than PlayStation, it's *not exclusive*, no going around that.

2. Unless NPD covers Windows Store sales, that's kinda a moot point - at least against the game itself.

3. But yeah, honestly I'm certain the Switch will end up beating out the Xbox One in due time

All in all though, everything about Scorpio screams "Xbox Division's Last Chance" to me. They failed to properly toe the company's Cloud/Always Online line. Kinect failed. They're UWP-pushing efforts have largely been a failure.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Yes. There's no way around it, PS4 is way ahead in terms of quality AND quantity of exclusive content -- the cancellation of Scalebound, to me, is a sign of some very rocky times ahead for the company's game division.

Hopefully, Scorpio will turn things around.

Vol5

Aside from releasing games they aren't even talking about shit that's been announced for years. Why do we gotta wait till e3 for the next crackdown 3 update, release a baddass sea of thieves trailer showing off what else you can do, cup head? They're really sitting there waiting for Scorpio

MS are holding back reveals for E3 which will be running on Scorpio. Well, I'd hope so, because if not, they can kiss their console business goodbye.

I mean what do you expect them to do ? They are preferring for Scorpio now and will save their big hitter for that launch. Also most of the Q1 Sony domination comes from the japanese side - thats nothing MS can just fix since the Xbox gets ignored by alot of studios.

Hopefully that visit to Japan has changed some things. It remains to be seen but hopefully.

jelly

It's a bit embarrassing not getting Nier Automata. Japanese, yes but not something that the rest of the world is averse to. Microsoft are slipping.

Jigolo

Xbox doesn't have anything until September usually. And it's usually the same old.

With the exception of like 2 games I can remember. Titanfall and that time bending game (can't remember the name)

Pc, ps4 and Twitch is the setup to have... MS seems absolutely lost anymore.

I know people love Twitch, but it's hardly a replacement for a whole gaming platform.

Sometimes it's better to play the game than watch some annoying streamer stumble through it.

First-party cancellations, Xbox/Windows 10 cross-releases, and a less active indie scene don't help the system. The result is that the western AAA games, which mostly are shooters, action-adventures, racing games and such, form a much bigger percentage of all available games than on PC and PlayStation. Lack of marketing Microsoft-exclusive games doesn't help either. The Xbox brand is losing its identity and appeal this way, as the OP correctly points out. I don't know what the ladies and gentlemen at Microsoft are working on, but it really is time to show some awesome stuff.

The Xbox branch isn't big within Microsoft, so I think Microsoft doesn't care as much about Xbox as Sony and Nintendo do about their gaming business.

The Dude

Uh

Anyways this E3 should be interesting to say the least. Part of me thinks they're hiding something, the other part thinks they're silent because they have really do have no big games in store. Game Pass and Scorpio seem cool though.

I'm referring to the xbox library in general and exclusives when I say MS.

sinxtanx

the steady flow of cool games for the Xbox One and Microsofts recent history of taking some real risks has me stoked for the Scorpio

oh

wait

no

J Allard please gather an army and hijack Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom