• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza might be my favorite video game series

Or Kazuma Kiryu is just my favorite video game character now.

Or he might even be my favorite fictional character ever.

I'm not gonna get into how I got started with Yakuza coz that may just stir controversy, but I will say this: I was a junior in college when I got into Yakuza 3. Watched some reviews and I thought I'd like it. And I did, I absolutely loved Yakuza 3 when I first started it. Story in a video game has always been very important to me and the story in Yakuza 3 made me want to keep playing and playing and playing.

Another thing is the combat. Most games that receive press and attention in general, are shooters. But what I like about Yakuza is instead of having to shoot the assholes, you just kick their asses. The whole Nathan Drake controversy thing is something that I can actually understand even though all the fans write it off as a nonsense criticism; to me it's not. Drake isn't a thug, he isn't a gangster, he's a treasure hunter motivated by money.

Shooting people to death is a choice in the Yakuza series and most of the time, you'll probably find yourself not using guns. But...the series isn't perfect. Maybe Sega doesn't have the budget that western devs have, because too man of the same issues recycle in these games.

I don't need to get into that, but more on Kazuma Kiryu...best guy ever. So selfless, so sage-like, he's amazing. And he's not even one dimensional, you have him talking and interacting with so many people in the series that you get that he's a human. While he kick a lot of ass though, he is no ordinary human. And, I must have said it 20 times by now, but he needs to be in the next PlayStation-smash type game, as he is practically a mascot.

Lastly, I just want to say that I am very upset that even Yakuza 0 did not set the series off in the west. It's gotten plenty of good press on like, YouTube and here on GAF, but it did not translate into sales.

GloriousComfortableDuiker.gif

DJMicLuv

Me too. I've been there since Y1 and I love the game now more than ever. I could write so much about what I love about it but no-one's got time to write or read that sort of thing. I'm sure whatever good anyone says about the game reflect my own opinions. It's a unique and finely tuned game series that's at it's absolute peak (so far) in Y0.

Damn, I was hoping Y0 would see a little resurgence in terms of sales.

How could getting started with a video game be controversial? Now I'm interested, OP.

You have sales proof? Attention wise I don't think Yakuza 0 could have done better realistically.

It didn't sell amazingly well, but by Yakuza it standards it was fairly successful.

I hope it sold well by SEGA's standards, as that's what matters most for future support.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

How could getting started with a video game be controversial? Now I'm interested, OP.
it did.

and he's saying that because he started with 3 which is many fans' least favorite entry

I would be so hype if the next Tekken 7 guest character was Kiryu. That guy basically fights like one, he even kicked the shit out of a tiger with his bare hands!

jRKfNbK.gif

J_Viper

The archaic gameplay in Yakuza 0 just didn't click for me, but I was instantly invested in Kiryu and his story.

The writing, animations, and voice work are all incredible.

trust me it's going to start something else in this thread if I bring that up. but hey, thanks for reading the OP!
it did.

and he's saying that because he started with 3 which is many fans' least favorite entry
LOL nah brah well I did start on 3 but the story of how I discovered that game and my reasoning behind is sure to start something else in this thread that I don't wanna get into.
wait, so you love Yakuza but Kiryu is somehow your favorite
yah. what you mean somehow. the fucking is the main protagonist of the entire franchise
I would be so hype if the next Tekken 7 guest character was Kiryu. That guy basically fights like one, he even kicked the shit out of a tiger with his bare hands!

jRKfNbK.gif
-sigh- I wonder if linking to this thread means someone will bump it now...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1161755

It didn't sell amazingly well, but by Yakuza it standards it was fairly successful.

I hope it sold well by SEGA's standards, as that's what matters most for future support.

I think it's a baby steps situation. Games press is going to be keyed in for the lead up to Kiwami.

To OP, I could totally see how this would be someone's favorite series if the story can keep it up at the level of 0.

dapoktan

It just had a lot of competition. Two of my most anticipated games like mass effect and persona are coming out, not to mention horizon and Zelda.

Im def interested in picking Yakuza up at some point in the future though.

Anyone know how much the game sold? I tried looking it up, but I couldn't find anything online.

LAM09

I only got into the series thanks to PS+ (Yakuza 4) and it's now up there as one of my favourites. It ticks so many boxes that a large number of games don't nowadays.

Eager to hear Kiwami's release date now

wreckml

Lastly, I just want to say that I am very upset that even Yakuza 0 did not set the series off in the west. It's gotten plenty of good press on like, YouTube and here on GAF, but it did not translate into sales

Yakuza 0 was my first game in the series and I loved it... i'm not sure what the sales numbers looked like but the hype around this game/series certainly sold me on it.

trajon

Neo Member
For me, right now, the title of favorite video game series is firmly held by the Trails/Kiseki series. However, I had genuinely no experience with Yakuza prior to buying 0 in January due to all the hype on GAF and the fact that it seemed like a game I would love. I was not at all disappointed! Right now I am (im)patiently waiting for Kiwami to drop and will consider moving on to 4 & 5 from there. I'm tempted to wait and see if 2 gets a Kiwami style remake and 3/4/5 get PS4 remasters though...

tl;dr Yakuza isn't my favorite game series yet, but I definitely think it could potentially be that in the future as I get more experience with the series.

I was playing thru 4 but it got put on the backburner when Zelda came out. What I played so far was so good I bought 3 and 0 to play after. I bought Dead Souls too for the characters.

Skulldead

Funny, It been 4 month that i play yakuza series non stop. I Do everything i can with a guide to get secret boss in every game. Im at yakuza 4 part 3 right now with 30 hour i cant stop playing. The lore and the story of each game is so rich. All the game have a important piece in the overall world of yakuza, each game is full of little detail that make them worst playing to understand everything.

I agree with op, so far this is a amazing series, cant wait to play yakuza 5 and zero.

Betty

Banned
I'm a little upset I missed the boat on the series but so glad it's come back around because Yakuza 0 felt like a perfect introduction and I can't wait for the remake of 1.

It is in my top franchise of all time. Probable my favorite series where the story is important.

Narrative is top notch and characters are best in the industry. Ther are not two character like Kiryu in videogames.

I expect Kiwami keep it quality as high as 0 did

What "next" Virtua Fighter?

We all know Virtua Fighter 6 is coming

Xliskin

Good for you bud , gladly the poor sales did not effect Y6 localization and Y6 is the last in the series right?

stn

Yup, amazing series. I've been there since Y1 released. You MUST play Y2 if you haven't already.

Dueck

Banned
I had fun importing them all and not knowing Japanese. Their greatness transcends language (because I still figured it out). People seem to dump on Yakuza 3 a bit, but I thought it was amazing, granted I impatiently imported it and didn't play the heavily edited western version. Zero is the best though, objectively speaking. It just did everything right and the setting was more fun.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
This is probably in my top 5 favorite franchises which is otherwise populated by mostly PC strategy games. I treasure each one of these games like it's the last one to ever be released. I got a little weepy when Yakuza 5 was finally announced for localization but I'm still leery that they'll pull the rug out.

Good for you bud , gladly the poor sales did not effect Y6 localization and Y6 is the last in the series right?

The end of Kiryu's story I think is what they said?

Who knows for sure though?

Opa-Pa

I recently put Nioh on hold to finally start this series. Started with Y1 and I'm already around five hours into Y2.

Best decision ever. It'll probably become one of my favorites too.

The originally is extremely clunky, but it's so damn charming and Kazuma is so great. Soundtrack was killer too, and now I'm playing the sequel and the combat finally shines.

I love how the games are filled with ridiculous stuff despite aiming for an extremely realistic vibe, and yet you can still take the stories seriously. It reminds me of Metal Gear.

But seriously, Kazuma is so great! Man has a heart of gold but isn't taking anyone's shit still.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Got into the series with 0 and absolutely loved it. From the awesome story, to the combat, to the countless mini games you can play, this game left an incredible impression. Will absolutely pick up Kiwami the moment it comes out and will pray that the other games get the PS4 treatment as well.

Oh, and shoutout to Club Sunshine. Without a doubt my favorite mini game of the bunch.

Teepo671

Yakuza 0 was amazing and definitely made me a fan of the series. I still haven't played any other game in the franchise yet but I'm really excited to get my hands on Kiwami later this year. As much fun as Kiryu is though, I often found myself wanting to get back to Majima's story asap. That cliffhanger at the end of his chapter when he
pulled out his knife while Makoto was crying
made me so goddamn frustrated when it tossed me back into Kiryu's story. I did like the way it tied their stories together in the end, though.

Combat was definitely a high point. Heat attacks never got old and even 80 hours in I was still pleasantly surprised when I'd accidentally find a new one.

Kiryu also has a damn good singing voice.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3zsueuA3Ywo

With regards to the series itself, I appreciate how well it integrates what other games may consider "filler content". Like after a grueling story moment, all you want to do is relax and sing some karaoke or maybe play some Space Harrier before moving on.

syncyes

I realized I was too attached to the characters in this series when I, someone who typically puts games away as soon as they're beaten (my backlog is too large), did busy work in Y5 postgame just so I could see Haruka hold Kiryu's hand ;_;

I need to buy a PS4 so I can play Y0 ~_~

Jimrpg

I love these type of posts. These need to happen regularly as not enough love can be given to this series.

Yakuza 0 is blowing my mind right now. It's the best game in the series technically and story wise and the collection of activities and mini games is simply off the charts. I'm trying to play it every chance I get and have even put Nioh on hold even though that is also a really good game, but Yakuza 0 is simply the best.

The wonderful thing about the Yakuza series is that the team at Sega have somehow turned a "low budget" thing into a positive. I say that in apostrophes because I don't think anyone really knows what the budget is in a Yakuza game but Kamurocho the location where everything happens is a hugely important part of the game. That they reuse the location yet keep me excited every game is really impressive. I can't say that about any other game at all. The key I think is that the game is so story and character driven and things need to happen in Kamurocho that its a really great fit all around. And this lets the team reuse things as needed and rework things in other areas and add more stuff all the time. Yakuza 0 is stuffed full of content and most of it is really good.

Jimrpg

I realized I was too attached to the characters in this series when I, someone who typically puts games away as soon as they're beaten (my backlog is too large), did busy work in Y5 postgame just so I could see Haruka hold Kiryu's hand ;_;

I need to buy a PS4 so I can play Y0 ~_~

Y0, Yakuza Kiwami and Yakuza 6. And Yakuza Ishin if you import it though its only in Japanese.

Fury451

Banned
It's on the shortlist of "instantly buy any titles available" for me.

I adore it since I first played it when it hit the US. There's a special magic there.

You have sales proof? Attention wise I don't think Yakuza 0 could have done better realistically.
this is the only thread on sales i could find, i don't even know if it's reliable http://www.pauseresume.com/yakuza-0-stock-running-low-in-uk/
yakuza 0 charted top 10 though
in the NPD?
Cloud is one of Playstation's poster boys, and somehow he got in there.
that is true, and it certainly does not make sense to me lol. does not matter though because nintendo and square enix probably made a ton of money having him as dlc.

if there is a sequel to playstation smash though, both Cloud and Kiryu need to be there

Top Bottom