• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jimquisition: Why Horizon: Zero Dawn's Success Is Good No Matter Who You Are

Status
Not open for further replies.

L~A

I realize this will reinforce the "Sony Shill" thing (which is ironic if you've known me long enough to remember when I was the "anti-Sony bias Nintendo shill"), but Horizon: Zero Dawn's success is worth talking about.

The game's doing well, and while those who loyally defend plastic machinery might think otherwise, that's a good thing for everybody. Yes, even if you're putting all your stock in the Switch.

Link to the video!

Features a Life Hacxz segment (gotta love those).

Jofamo

At this point it feels like Jim is the only person banging the Zelda vs Horizon drum. I've seen nothing but praise for both games, both on here and in reviews...

Haven't watched the video yet (heading to class) but I agree while bringing up the fact that the game was almost bound to be a success. Several years of heavy marketing + AAA/ first party budget + passionate team = sales success & (thankfully) critical success.

Horizon is a great example of how passion for a project can elevate those working on it to new heights. Very happy for the success of the game & studio.

PtM

Banned
At this point it feels like Jim is the only person banging the Zelda vs Horizon drum. I've seen nothing but praise for both games, both on here and in reviews...
I'm sure he has a more differing perspective on the matter than most of us. For some reasons.

Plum

Just going from the description I'm getting tired of this horse being beaten so much by Jim; no need to reference Switch Nintendo in what's supposed to be a positive video, all it does is garner unnecessary controversy. Yes, Horizon's success is great, I don't think anyone but the regular trolls who'd hate anything disagrees with that fact. I'll watch it later but I don't expect many real revelations or a very different perspective, a video about the whole Jontron/Youtuber fiasco would be better.

Jim sure is harping on that "lol, Zelda fans" thing, but I agree. Good games doing well is something good for the industry especially if it has a diverse cast like Horizon or Zelda

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
was going to make a joke about how long till he mentioned Zelda review but couldn't load the thread fast enough...

I3rand0

Really disappointed he didn't do a video this week on all the Jontron drama and the attempts of popular Youtubers, as a whole, to normalize intolerance.

He seems absolutely desperate for attention.

Apart from a few trolls most people are saying they love both games.

It's him who is stirring the pot and making an issue out of all this.

Like, who thinks Horizons success isn't good?

Hmm was expecting something Jontron or Mass Effect related.

I guess Horizon because of the Announcement of their great sales and potential DLC

Intel_89

Really disappointed he didn't do a video this week on all the Jontron drama and the attempts of popular Youtubers, as a whole, to normalize intolerance.

The Zelda beef still gets top priority, I'd rather see him talk about the whole Jontron thing rather than beating a horse to death, again.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Why even bring up the Switch ?

A great game like Horizon doing great is obv. good news for every game...i mean come on.

Acerac

Banned

I kind of expected that as well, but he's REALLY been enjoying the whole Horizon v Zelda shitfest.

I've not watched the video yet, perhaps I'm wrong and Zelda isn't mentioned at all and I'll look like a fool.

*Edit*

No he immediately started with it actually. XD

OP, why do we need more Jim threads?

new news... new ... thread ... ??
I kind of expected that as well, but he's REALLY been enjoying the whole Horizon v Zelda shitfest.

I've not watched the video yet, perhaps I'm wrong and Zelda isn't mentioned at all and I'll look like a fool.

there are a few digs at zelda, but the video has very good points.

also lol, the pewdiepie/jontron shade at the end!

klier

Jesus this Jim is desperately trying to get his point across.

Which point I don't exactly know. I don't know who this Jim is, and even though I don't know who he is, I REALLY dislike him. All I know is that he always is moaning about Zelda vs Horizon. Pathetic.

It not new news. It's old and rehashed and done.

"7/10" doesn't go in imaginary quotation marks. You gave it a 7/10 Jim. That's a fact.

I don't think he's a Sony shill. I just think he has bad taste. And frankly, what is this, the fourth thread/video he's got all because he decided to give BotW a low score? I said it before, but ignoring the fact that he doesn't earn ad revenue, so clickbait serves no use to him, I imagine a thought process along the lines of, "if I give this critically appraised game a lower score, I can generate not only videos on that score, but on the reactions I am guaranteed to get based on that low score."

Also, I don't see new IP as being a wasted investment in the eyes of publishers due to the idea that it will sell poorly, but more along the lines of it being easier to make a sequel. It's easier to reuse assets and ideas generated by a pre-existing universe than to create an entirely new one, especially in the case of a game like Horizon: Zero Dawn, where the devs shifted not only to open world, but to a completely different genre. BotW proves that you can reuse existing IP and make a completely different experience. ME: A on the other hand proves that you can reuse existing IP, make it take place in a completely different galaxy, and still carry over so much from previous games in the series that it might as well be called Mass Effect 4.

I really don't think there was any worry over whether or not it would be successful. It's the Ubisoft open world formula that's been proven to sell copies of games in the past, of course it would be a success.

And that's just it. I'm impressed with the visuals, and I'm glad it's doing well. But it feels very much like a Ubisoft game, which I'm personally just not all that much of a fan of. It's repetitive, and right off the bat the dialogue and just general situations you're placed in are cringy, the worst offender being the introduction the player gets to the feature that lets you look at enemy pathing, during a sequence more basic than most stealth objectives in which you don't have this ability, all while a bad voice actor barks at you, "whoa, how are you doing this? This is impossible."

Just doesn't seem all that fair to me that it should receive 2.5 more points than BotW, largely because it's new IP, despite the fact that it doesn't do anything new with the tired old Ubisoft formula.

Tizoc

I honestly couldn't care less about how either game is recieved. I will play them whenever I get around to them; Horizon has you blowing up robotic dinosaurs so that should be fun.
LoZ goes without saying as I one day hope to play through the LoZ series and see how I'd enjoy them, and BoW would be down the road eventually whenever I get to doing that playthrough.

L~A

I guess this is one of those "I haven't watched the video but I'm complaining about it anyway" episodes :p

(Then again, it's no wonder with that video description, which really doesn't reflect what the actual video is about at all).

Edit: damn, ninja'ed by the man himself.

Elandyll

Banned

It seems that around release time things got weird with Zelda fans, as far as HZD was concerned. It also seems it was pretty bad out there, but Gaf wasn't immune.

If I wasn't concerned it could get me banned, I would do a 'best of' quotes from the Zelda review thread, which really was a thread there was no reason for HZ to appear in yet had an oddly strong presence for a while (many mocking its then "only" 88 MC). And that's only 1 example thread of many.

"7/10" doesn't go in imaginary quotation marks. You gave it a 7/10 Jim. That's a fact.

I don't think he's a Sony shill. I just think he has bad taste. And frankly, what is this, the fourth thread/video he's got all because he decided to give BotW a low score? I said it before, but ignoring the fact that he doesn't earn ad revenue, so clickbait serves no use to him, I imagine a thought process along the lines of, "if I give this critically appraised game a lower score, I can generate not only videos on that score, but on the reactions I am guaranteed to get based on that low score."

Also, I don't see new IP as being a wasted investment in the eyes of publishers due to the idea that it will sell poorly, but more along the lines of it being easier to make a sequel. It's easier to reuse assets and ideas generated by a pre-existing universe than to create an entirely new one, especially in the case of a game like Horizon: Zero Dawn, where the devs shifted not only to open world, but to a completely different genre.

I really don't think there was any worry over whether or not it would be successful. It's the Ubisoft open world formula that's been proven to sell copies of games in the past, of course it would be a success.

And that's just it. I'm impressed with the visuals, and I'm glad it's doing well. But it feels very much like a Ubisoft game, which I'm personally just not all that much of a fan of. It's repetitive, and right off the bat the dialogue and just general situations you're placed in are cringy, the worst offender being the introduction the player gets to the feature that lets you look at enemy pathing, during a sequence more basic than most stealth objectives in which you don't have this ability, all while a bad voice actor barks at you, "whoa, how are you doing this? This is impossible."

Just doesn't seem all that fair to me that it should receive 2.5 more points than BotW, largely because it's new IP, despite the fact that it doesn't do anything new with the tired old Ubisoft formula.
Why did you leave a word out there? it was "7/10 controversy". Christ.

Jesus this Jim is desperately trying to get his point across.

Which point I don't exactly know. I don't know who this Jim is, and even though I don't know who he is, I REALLY dislike him. All I know is that he always is moaning about Zelda vs Horizon. Pathetic.

It not new news. It's old and rehashed and done.

if you think this video is zelda v horizon. you have not watched the video. therefore you have no idea if it's old, rehashed, or done. try again.

Also, I don't see new IP as being a wasted investment in the eyes of publishers due to the idea that it will sell poorly, but more along the lines of it being easier to make a sequel. It's easier to reuse assets and ideas generated by a pre-existing universe than to create an entirely new one, especially in the case of a game like Horizon: Zero Dawn, where the devs shifted not only to open world, but to a completely different genre.

lol

ChrisD

there are a few digs at zelda, but the video has very good points.

also lol, the pewdiepie/jontron shade at the end!

To be entirely fair, not every gaming personality gets a new thread posted for every video they make in a series. They usually end up with one big thread that goes into Community.

Not that ones couldn't be made, I suppose.

GeoramA

Also, I don't see new IP as being a wasted investment in the eyes of publishers due to the idea that it will sell poorly, but more along the lines of it being easier to make a sequel. It's easier to reuse assets and ideas generated by a pre-existing universe than to create an entirely new one, especially in the case of a game like Horizon: Zero Dawn, where the devs shifted not only to open world, but to a completely different genre. BotW proves that you can reuse existing IP and make a completely different experience. ME: A on the other hand proves that you can reuse existing IP, make it take place in a completely different galaxy, and still carry over so much from previous games in the series that it might as well be called Mass Effect 4.

It doesn't feel like a Ubisoft game at all. But go ahead, keep trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom