• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has-Been Heroes |OT| They're Never Gonna Give You Up

dJbtHJ0.png

SxiADOG.png

FCbIMg7.png

The physical release is North America only and the game was delayed until April 4th in Europe and Australia.

Screenshots said:

Announcement Trailer
Story Trailer

Reviews
IGN - 6.1/10
Destructoid - 4.5/10
GameSpace - 8/10
Nintendo World Report - 7/10

Hedgey

Physical release available in Canada as well through EB Games!
I played this at the Switch Preview event and I'm curious to give this a good long play.

Physical release available in Canada as well through EB Games!
I played this at the Switch Preview event and I'm curious to give this a good long play.

I've only put about 6 hours into it and I've been enjoying it. I feel like the Destructoid and IGN reviewers were expecting a different type of game than what HBH actually is. Is the game difficult? You betcha! Does it get better the longer you play and the more you unlock? Absolutely! That's how this genre works.

I watched a video that complained about there being no progression in this game but that seems to be false in the way of passive abilities? I've had my eye on this game for switch for a while now and think I'm gonna pick it up as as roguelike seems perfect for it.

me0wish

A demo would of made this an easier purchase, I might try it on Steam and refund it if I don't like it/not worth the full price.

I assumed this was a Switch exclusive because of how much coverage it got at Switch events pre-release. Were Nintendo that desperate to increase the number of games on show?

TI82

Banned
Disappointing about the reception game looked fun and frozenbyte is a good Dev. Will wait on this one since switch games are still at a premium and I have persona 5 coming in a couple weeks anyway.

C.Mongler

Eh, I'll probably end up getting it, if it sucks I'm out a dinner night I suppose. It's the price Bomberman should have been, and probably can't be any worse, right?

Need to pick up my copy. Physical version for $20 is too good for me to pass up. Despit a few of the reviews I've watched gameplay and it looks interesting to me.

I've only put about 6 hours into it and I've been enjoying it. I feel like the Destructoid and IGN reviewers were expecting a different type of game than what HBH actually is. Is the game difficult? You betcha! Does it get better the longer you play and the more you unlock? Absolutely! That's how this genre works.

Hrmm, maybe I will pick it up then. Is this a midnight release on e-shop?

Blurry15

I played it at PAX South and clearly got the vibe of "this is clearly not for everyone but I can see myself enjoying it once I get the hang of it"

TheBear

OT mentions physical release in US only. I've got it preordered at EB games in Aus, will that be a digital code then? I would actually prefer it

Lingitiz

Reviews - we will be addressing some concerns over the next few weeks. The release state may have been too difficult as reviews complain about that a lot, and they may be right. We adjusted the difficulty a bit with a Day 1 patch (should be live now on all platforms, not 100% sure about Switch though), and have another patch incoming with further changes. The game will remain difficult but we do not want it to be unfair. I was at PAX East presenting the game to media and gamers and I had tons of fun playing the full game (not available to the public but they were welcome to watch), albeit an earlier version. Me, Kai and Matt were just able to beat the fifth boss, the Toxic boss, in our 25 hours of play. I myself am a rather casual gamer and definitely not a roguelike gamer, so it should be possible to find a balance between hardcore roguelike audience and a more casual crowd like myself and probably most of the reviewers... The core gameplay and all the gameplay mechanics are solid if you ask me, so once we get the balance perfected the game should be super fun!

The repetitiveness in enemies and overall is possibly a by-product of the difficulty and players not able to progress enough, as the game features over 200 enemies and even if skeletons are the mainstay, they've never felt repetitive to me (there's lots of variation). There's plenty of other kind of enemies too but they only start appearing as you progress further in the game.

We are super interested in seeing how the user feedback turns out, and will be addressing issues as we get past the launch day... If you're on the fence, I suggest waiting out a bit and see how the "Recent reviews" develops on Steam. :)

Joel, Frozenbyte team, developers of Has-Been Heroes
Taken from steam forum post http://steamcommunity.com/app/492290/discussions/0/135512555424805519/#c135512625252906854

RedBoot

I played it at PAX South and clearly got the vibe of "this is clearly not for everyone but I can see myself enjoying it once I get the hang of it"

Yeah, really wish it had a demo. The reviews have been concerning but it's a roguelike and I can see how it would turn people off. Would be nice to get a feel for it first.

I might pick it up anyway because I'm a sucker for limited physical prints, but we'll see.

I just played for about 90 minutes. The reviews made me not want it, but I had a $15 Gamestop gift card, so ended up only paying $5 for it.

It's not amazing, but I've already had more fun with it than I thought I would. It's hard as shit, but you can pause at any time (L) and think ahead. The "tutorial" is pretty worthless, so you have to figure a lot out on your own. I feel like there are things I'm missing.

Each time you die, the souls of the enemies you kill accumulate and you get rewards after a certain amount. The first rewards were at 50, and I got an item and a spell. I'm not sure if you get to keep those or it unlocks that item in shops and chests. I didn't play another game after I got my first unlock.

I think it's worth $20, for sure. One kind of annoying thing: the inside of the Switch case is completely blank. Of the four physical games I have so far (this, Isaac, Zelda, Bomberman), this is the first time I've come across that.

Every review I read is super negative, and yet every gameplay video I watch makes it seem awesome. What the hell is going on with this game?

I will stay tuned and pay attention to the game during the launch week.

If impressions seem good on here, I may bite since I'm itching for new games on the Switch.

mjc

I'll keep my eye on this for the Switch, although I'm concerned about high difficulty and the repetitive enemy type complaints.

Let's not attack reviewers like that other poorly received game please. Makes you look childish.

Oh I wouldn't go as far as to attack them. I'm just worried about the state of our industry's critics. Mass effect Andromeda, and Has been heroes, are signs of something. It could be that our critics are too easily influenced, it could be that they don't aspire to enough of a high standard in their chosen profession, It could even be that they are not trained properly! But there is definitely something going on, and that is concerning, at least to me.

TI82

Banned
Oh I wouldn't go as far as to attack them. I'm just worried about the state of our industry's critics. Mass effect Andromeda, and Has been heroes, are signs of something. It could be that our critics are too easily influenced, it could be that they don't aspire to enough of a high standard in their chosen profession, It could even be that they are not trained properly! But there is definitely something going on, and that is concerning, at least to me.

Are you trying to say that Mass effect was treated poorly because that is a very poorly made game that deserves those scores. And is off topic so let's not discuss this here.

Robin64

Physical release is in the UK, too. Also it's out on April 4th.

(This applies to the Switch version, at least, I can't speak for the others)

antibolo

Banned

Or maybe those games do deserve that criticism.

dickroach

I, too, was under the impression that this was a Switch exclusive.

I'll wait for it to inevitably be included with PS+ or Games With Gold within the year :\

TI82

Banned
The first bit of information on their website is literally:

Spoiler alert:
Binding of Isaac and all the Tomorrow Corp games aren't Switch exclusives either.

Difference being that those games existed already whereas this is a completely new title that was heavily showcased. So don't get snarky when it did appear as an exclusive at first glance.

The first bit of information on their website is literally:

Spoiler alert:
Binding of Isaac and all the Tomorrow Corp games aren't Switch exclusives either.

I played the Switch at a Nintendo event here in the UK over a month before it came out. This game had its own booth with people explaining how it works with massive banners and was always one of the first logos I saw just in general whenever I saw a list of Switch games advertised.

Yeah I know Just Dance and other games that were advertised in this way are also multiplatform but I didn't expect an eshop only game (for us in the UK anyway) and a brand new game (IP) to get so much attention from Nintendo so early on if it's not exclusive. My own misjudgement I do admit.

I played the Switch at a Nintendo event here in the UK over a month before it came out. This game had its own booth with people explaining how it works with massive banners and was always one of the first logos I saw just in general whenever I saw a list of Switch games advertised.

Yeah I know Just Dance and other games that were advertised in this way are also multiplatform but I didn't expect an eshop only game (for us in the UK anyway) and a brand new game to get so much attention from Nintendo so early on if it's not exclusive. My own misjudgement I do admit.

I think the physical edition is Switch-exclusive (and also Gamestop published)

C.Mongler

Looks like GameStop just sold out of physicals for the Switch online, I had one in my cart and was going to purchase it on my lunch break. Hopefully they restock soon, but I doubt I'd have a problem going to a GameStop this weekend to buy one if they don't, I just hate going into GameStops.

UCBooties

How I love modern game critics. *I'm bad at it and don't understand it, it's clearly a case of bad game*

I think there is something to be said for whether or not a game presents its core gameplay in a way that is understandable to a hypothetical average player. An example with HBH came from a video review I was watching where the reviewers mentioned that they received a tip from the developer about the importance of the pause function when they received their review code. If a developer needs to e-mail reviewers explaining how to use one of the game's core features, that feature probably should have been explained better in game. If a game is frustrating because its mechanics are opaque and it only rewards your effort after a prohibitive amount of time, that learning curve should absolutely be accounted for when reviewing or scoring a game.

My primary concern with Has Been Heroes is that a few reviews have mentioned a lack of meaningful progression between runs. I know that's getting back to basics as far as Roguelike games go, but I always preferred the variations where even a poor run could still meaningfully improve your chances for a future run. It sounds like there is some background progression, but unlocking spells or items doesn't let you meaningfully tailor your experience? I'm worried that lengthy runs combined with poor RNG implementation will lead to a lot of frustration without any pay-off.

It also sounds like the developer is very aware of these concerns and working to address them in patches? Hopefully that bears out.

That's cool. I'm sure there are a lot of people wanting to get in early on the Switch bandwagon. Their site even lists the Switch first on their supported platforms.

Did you try out the game there? Any impressions?

I did but it's one of those games you can't really get a grasp of an an event like that. The person working there has to guide you and teach you a lot of things in the short amount of time we had. It looked neat and was fun but it got overwhelming with the amount you had to do at once as the number of enemies increased so like I said I can't really comment unless I really gave it a go, and at the moment the game is competing with too many others on the eshop atm.

Top Bottom