• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has-Been Heroes |OT| They're Never Gonna Give You Up

tebunker

Banned
If the in-game tracker is accurate, it says I've put a little over 25 hours in since I picked it up last Friday.

This game is not a 4/10.
I haven't played that much but I quickly ascertained that this was a pretty solid game that won't hit a wide audience in my first hour or so.

The real key is understanding and mastering the mechanics which are different, kind of difficult and non-intuitive. Thats why i can see some reviews knocking it.

That's fine and are valid criticisms but it is also a game where you are rewarded with neat stuff/interactions the more you out in to it and work with it. So, it is in its essence truly a rogue like.

samred

A new patch is live. Has a ton of new instructional information on screens, but more importantly, non-boss battles are more interesting, item opportunities are more plentiful in early maps, and boss battles are more manageable with lack of superpowers. Should be good news for the haters AND the lovers. Every critic should try this game again.

SuperPac

This morning after reading this thread I steamrolled through the first boss, slept the system, came back after work and steamrolled right through the second one on the first go. SUPER satisfying once everything kinda clicks and you start using spells and buffs.

Thanks for the heads up. Here is the changelog from the Steam forums. I'd guess the bulk of it is the same across platforms. Backstab and overpowering stamina buffs sounds good to me.
Has-Been Heroes v1.0.2 PC:

* Gameplay: Hitting over enemy Stamina now has a damage penalty of -10% instead of -25%
* Gameplay: Skeleton Leader, who speeds up nearby enemies, now always walks into the battle, never spawns in the middle
* Gameplay: Bandana "Boxer" Skeleton Boss health now 1450 (was 1825)
* Gameplay: Heroes' lane backstab damage increase
* Gameplay: Battle clear bonus now 20 (was 25)
* Gameplay: Changes and fixes to Summon Boar spell
* User interface: Press left thumbstick to cycle main menu tips
* User interface: Helpful popup screen at the start of the game to explain Stamina
* PC: Fix SLI rendering issues
* Miscellaneous fixes
* Prologue dialogue fixes
* Wrestler recharge exploit fix

TheBear

This game is growing on me. Once I worked out lining up hits against stamina counts and realising you can actually reshuffle your entire team once you have attacked it really started to click. Have only unlocked one character so far but that wasn't too hard once I felt comfortable with th battle system. Overall it's a unique, fun little game that is more than what it seems. Giving it a 4/10 is disingenuous I think. That suggests the game does not execute on what it is attempting, which is inaccurate

noquarter

Bought this last week and finally got the time to play.

Really liking the game. The first couple plays I was about ready to give up, wasn't fully understanding what was going on, why sometimes the enemy would block and other times he would fly back. Couldn't figure out what the hell the pop up box in the beginning was trying to tell me. Wasn't buying anything, since I wasn't sure if gold was a static thing or not.

After feeling the game out, really started to grow on me. Figuring out when to attack, what lane to start with, what enemy to attack and with who, plus throwing in the spells and such is pretty fun.

So far, played about 10 hours, 15 games, with 13 losses and one completion. Not sure what the other game ended up as, that is from the stats screen.

TheBear

Is there a quicker way to fill up the orbs? I've had them fill up once or twice that's it. They empty after each battle also

choodi

Banned
The game can be super frustrating, but any reviewer giving it 4/10 is guilty of writing their review after playing only 1 hour or less of the game.

Should be mandatory for a reviewer to show their playtime for a game like this.

Craft

The game can be super frustrating, but any reviewer giving it 4/10 is guilty of writing their review after playing only 1 hour or less of the game.

Should be mandatory for a reviewer to show their playtime for a game like this.

A couple of the reviews I read they hadn't even completed a single run, which is pretty simple if you know what you're​ doing. I think the game would have reviewed much better if the tutorial went into more depth.

choodi

Banned
A couple of the reviews I read they hadn't even completed a single run, which is pretty simple if you know what you're​ doing. I think the game would have reviewed much better if the tutorial went into more depth.

The tutorial was shit, but that is no excuse for those reviewers.

correojon

Played for 5 hours, still haven't been able to kill the first boss. I was pretty close in my last attempt and I don't think how I could've done it better, I am amazed that some of you are completely destroying him as you say. I'm winning normal battles easily now and have become much better, but I feel like there's still some important mechanic I'm not aware of or something :S

Still, I'm enjoying the game a lot and I'm not going to give it up :)

choodi

Banned
Played for 5 hours, still haven't been able to kill the first boss. I was pretty close in my last attempt and I don't think how I could've done it better, I am amazed that some of you are completely destroying him as you say. I'm winning normal battles easily now and have become much better, but I feel like there's still some important mechanic I'm not aware of or something :S

Still, I'm enjoying the game a lot and I'm not going to give it up :)

Are you stunning him and then using your warrior to deliver the damage?

correojon

Are you stunning him and then using your warrior to deliver the damage?

Right after posting I managed to beat it :) The problem was that I wasn´t using my spells correctly, once I´ve incorporated that I´ve been able to complete a couple of runs. I´m currently on my way to unlocking my third hero, this game is awesome!

Some tips for new players:
  • Use your 2X and 3X heroes´ melee attacks to get rid of enemy defense, then attack with the warrior once they´re stunned.
  • 3X can also be used to attack if you really need to (Double hits spell + some other attack buff can make it deal some serious damage). 2X is totally useless for melee attacking.
  • You want to keep your enemies away. There are 2 ways of doing this: by stunning then and hitting them (this sends them flying to the end of the line) or by hitting them more times than their resistance (this will push them back a bit, which can be helpful some times). If you don´t have any other choice, sometimes it´s wise to use even your 2X attack to hit a stunned enemy and push them away so you gain more time to recharge all your heroes. For example against the skeleton boss which summons a lot of smaller skelletons a nice tactic is to constantly attack the smaller skeletons so you don´t allow them to advance a lot, while you try to stun the boss with the correct attacks. This way you´ll keep them all together and they can be hit by some AoE spell or attack with splash damage.
  • Try not to get all your enemies down to the same resistance. If you end up with a bunch of enemies with 2 resistance your mage won´t be able to keep up and your rogue will be underutilized. In this situation you´ll need to use your rogue to push back some enemies and gain some time, or use the double attack spell on the warrior to lower enemy resistance and deal damage with the rogue, but you´ll be dealing much less damage than if using the warrior.
  • If an enemy has little health left you can hit him over his resistance to kill him (for example, you can hit a 1 resistance enemy with your rogue´s 3X attack). This way you save your warrior´s attack and can use it elsewhere. Don´t try this with your mage, as his melee attack sucks.
  • Buff your warrior (for example, the double attack spell from the rogue allows you to one shot most enemies outside of bosses).
  • Use spells a lot, they recharge pretty quickly so there´s no use in saving them for later (except for more advanced strategies but if you´re already doing that then these tips aren´t directed at you). Spells can be the difference of struggling in a fight and steamrolling the enemies if accompanied by nice tactics.
  • Combat is all about melee and spells and both are necessary to win past the very first battles. Learn to use spells ASAP.
  • Pause a lot. Every little amount of time you save can help an attack or spell recharge just in time for when you need it.
  • When you move the heroes around for an attack, before you finish moving them try to set them in the best positions for the next attack. You can move them as much as you want in every "turn" and the game is paused, so take your time to address the situation and plan the next step.
  • Use the best item for each character. Warrior benefits a lot from damage upgrades and recharging speed buffs, rogue likes things that affect critical hits and mage is good to centralize spells and reduce their recharge time.
  • Use defensive items with the rogue and mage. Warrior already starts with 2 resistance, so usually you´ll die from the rogue or mage taking hits. if you come across any item that rises resistance, use it with them. Also, resistance > health.
  • If you´re going to get hit, move your heroes around so the strongest one (by default the warrior) takes the hit. If one of your heroes dies the game ends, so protect the weakest ones.
  • Try to visit every location in the map and fight all battles. Battles will grant you money, which you can use to buy items or new spells. Items and spells can totally change what tactics you use and make your team really powerful. You´ll also get candles which you can use to explore more in complex maps.
  • You can see what the locations next to your current position hold before moving to them, use this to alter your route. For example, threre´s no reason in going to a location that holds a locked chest if you don´t have any keys, you´d better go to the locksmith first. Try to keep open paths to resistance camps, there´s no point in visiting them when all your party has max resistance.

Deja

Managed to snag a physical copy of this for £21.99. The site where I buy a lot of my games from had the NTSC version up, and was only £2 more expensive than getting it digitally from the store. Not sure why a UK shop is selling NTSC physical at such a price, but certainly not complaining.

Craft

Managed to snag a physical copy of this for £21.99. The site where I buy a lot of my games from had the NTSC version up, and was only £2 more expensive than getting it digitally from the store. Not sure why a UK shop is selling NTSC physical at such a price, but certainly not complaining.

That's a great price, I'd be tempted to pick it up again, do you have a link or was it just a one time thing?

Edit: Nevermind I assume it was this?
http://www.365games.co.uk/nintendo-..._source=affiliate_window&utm_medium=affiliate

QuarkMann

Neo Member
Any idea how long it might take to collect every item, spell and defeat every enemy? Still have to finish some 3DS games and I'm quite unsure if I should get it now. I'm a fan of completing games before starting the next one. But the complex mechanics left a strong impression on me.

depward

I'm at six hours with 19% unlocked. Progress is definitely slowing. I'd leave it to folks who have more time, but I'd peg it at above 50 hours to unlock everything?

Deja

I'm at six hours with 19% unlocked. Progress is definitely slowing. I'd leave it to folks who have more time, but I'd peg it at above 50 hours to unlock everything?

I'm at about 40 hours and nowhere close to unlocking all of it. I've had a lot of crap runs though =[

Craft

It was, now sold out, unfortunately.

I didn't want to post the link as I don't see that site mentioned, and was concerned they might be one of the banned lot.

Thanks, managed to snag a copy as they magically had one in stock this morning :D

There probably isn't a hard lower or upper limit as you tend to unlock quite a bit for every successful run.

Edit: Just completed my 3rd successful run at about 10 hours and I've got 30% unlocked.

Deja

That comment I posted was in reference to Binding of Isaac on Switch. No idea why I posted it in here. Haven't actually played HBH yet but I'm gonna give it a good go this weekend.

Decided to purchase this yesterday on the eShop. All of the impressions made it sound very intriguing and after an hour or 2 with the game, I'm enjoying it. Was able to beat the first boss last night.

Thanks for the tips! I can see why people are having a tough time and give up early. Definitely a learning curve. Took me many deaths to get in the rhythm.

pdk27

Picked this up last night. Watched the Total Biscuit video and decided to give it a try. I enjoy the core gameplay loop so even though it's difficult I'm enjoying myself. Looking forward to progressing further.

UCBooties

Any idea how long it might take to collect every item, spell and defeat every enemy? Still have to finish some 3DS games and I'm quite unsure if I should get it now. I'm a fan of completing games before starting the next one. But the complex mechanics left a strong impression on me.

In a pre-release demo video the devs mentioned 200 to 300 hours to unlock everything.

pdk27

Beat the first boss last night. What a great feeling. Definitely a tough game but when you pull something off it feels great.

Help! These ice walls are immune to everything. :(

S1GniBL.jpg

Filter

I'm really enjoying this game, it's very addictive.

It can vary wildly in difficulty from stage to stage though.
I was doing really well, taken out 3 maps and cleaning the floor with all my spells and equipment. Destroyed a 3rd zone boss, and then I get to the fourth zone which was some kind of western themed one, where huge amounts of skeletons move towards you at a very fast pace. Even with my area of effect lightning spells, I had no chance of winning. I'm pretty sure there was nothing I could have done throughout the game to win.

So I figure I must be able to level up somehow by repeatedly playing. When you die, and your soul things are absorbed, it unlocks items. But they don't seem to be selectable, or to do anything at all. Are they just pictures of things like skulls?
If so, then who cares about unlocking them? What's the point?

SickBoy

Been a while since I've played this (or Zelda). Really need to get back to the Switch... but I was getting a too laser focused on this (and conversely, a little too lost in the openness of Zelda).

Regarding ice walls, they're not immune to physical attacks, right? I think that "elemental wall" thing becomes something of a staple in those fights, and you've gotta knock'em all down.

So I figure I must be able to level up somehow by repeatedly playing. When you die, and your soul things are absorbed, it unlocks items. But they don't seem to be selectable, or to do anything at all. Are they just pictures of things like skulls?
If so, then who cares about unlocking them? What's the point?

Those items become available through vendors, etc. in future runs.

Been a while since I've played this (or Zelda). Really need to get back to the Switch... but I was getting a too laser focused on this (and conversely, a little too lost in the openness of Zelda).

Regarding ice walls, they're not immune to physical attacks, right? I think that "elemental wall" thing becomes something of a staple in those fights, and you've gotta knock'em all down.

Those items become available through vendors, etc. in future runs.
I figured it out, thanks!

Yeah, they're immune to physical attacks in the sense that they take no damage. You have to attack all three in one chain, HP doesn't matter, they all shatter after the last successful hit,

BizzyBum

Is this one of those games where the critics slam it mainly due to difficulty?

It seems those who like a challenge really dig the game plus it has an overall positive user rating on Metacritic. The patches seemed to have improved it, as well?

Worth picking up the physical Switch edition?

pdk27

Is this one of those games where the critics slam it mainly due to difficulty?

It seems those who like a challenge really dig the game plus it has an overall positive user rating on Metacritic. The patches seemed to have improved it, as well?

Worth picking up the physical Switch edition?

I just went back to again after putting some time into Puyo Puyo and Mario Kart. I definitely still enjoy it and think it's worth a pickup. Anybody else still playing it?

me0wish

I just went back to again after putting some time into Puyo Puyo and Mario Kart. I definitely still enjoy it and think it's worth a pickup. Anybody else still playing it?

I am, enjoying it more than BoI, and I love BoI, HBH is a great fun little game, definitely my favorite Frozen Byte game (I hate their other games tbh) and a perfect fit for the Switch.

So I've just started really playing this and I kinda get the hate but I'm loving it.

Its basically a RPG Tower Defense Rogue Like, you have your lanes you have to try and keep clear like Plants vs Zombies, you've got your characters who you can level up if you're lucky and then the usual Rogue Like permadeath stuff.

I haven't had a run past the second area yet but the more I play the more I learn and the more I like this. I can super see why it turned people off but I'm finding this super enjoyable.

Markew001

Just wanted to give those interested a heads up. Digital copy is currently $9.99 at GameStop. Seems to be all versions.

Played a few hours last night.. really enjoying it so far!

RedStep

Picked this up in the Gamestop sale and I'm having a hard time loving it... the gameplay itself is fine, though repetitive. What irritates me is the lack of real progression - while you might have more tools (slightly) and more knowledge going into each run, it gets to be a real slog starting back at square 1 when you hit a tough boss. Some actual persistent progression in the characters would make the game 100x better.

Keikaku

I picked this up at launch and put a little over an hour into it.

Got to the end on the very first run where it would allow me to do so and currently sitting at 11.1% total completion rate with
two out of ten endings
unlocked. I get that there's been a patch since launch but this does seem fairly easy to get the hang of and nice to play.

Not sure if the patch really changed *that much* but I'm glad they supported it with that patch. Definitely intriguing and I'm gonna keep playing!

Picked this up in the Gamestop sale and I'm having a hard time loving it... the gameplay itself is fine, though repetitive. What irritates me is the lack of real progression - while you might have more tools (slightly) and more knowledge going into each run, it gets to be a real slog starting back at square 1 when you hit a tough boss. Some actual persistent progression in the characters would make the game 100x better.
Honestly though thats alot of rougelike games these days. Something like The Binding of Issac you always get thrown back to square one on a new run through.

Started playing again last night, able to finish my second playthrough and have the Lucha Wrestler unlocked now. Such a fun little game once everything sort of clicks for you in it.

sasimirobot

Picked this up with Zelda BotW last week and have now put in 35 hours and unlocked the tiger, I think I only put 10 hours into Zelda for comparison.

I really love this game! Great for commutes, time just flies by when I fire it up, I have even missed my station because of how absorbed I am in it.

RNG is a thing, it is rock hard sometimes, but I always feel like I could have made a tiny improvement to my choices (upgrades, lane decisions, timing, etc...) and had a chance.

There is no way this game deserves a 4/10, I encourage anyone on the fence about it give it chance, at least unlock a couple of new heroes. If its not your cup of tea sell it, at worst you are out 10$, at best you may find this to be a surprising and charming gem like myself.

Chorazin

This is currently $10 for a new copy (Switch) at GameStop, I have one on reserve to pick up later. Figured that was bump-worthy! Looking forward to playing it.

hank_tree

It definitely took a few hours for this to click with me. To be honest, if there wasn't such a drought of games on the Switch I probably wouldn't have stuck with it.

But now I absolutely love this game. Look forward to my commute every day so I can get a few runs in.

SickBoy

I don't feel like paying C$30 (well, it was actually $15 in trade credit, but I could have gotten $30 for anything Switch-related as part of an EB Games promo) was too much for me. The only game I've spent more time with on Switch has been Zelda.

I'm still enjoying it. I don't think it's especially hard to start, but it gets tougher. I've been trying to get to the end of the "level" I'm on now for quite a while.

Top Bottom