• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Outrun 2006: Coast to Coast

Kart94

Banned
I got this game a while ago on the mail. I enjoyed it alot. though i basically used cheats cause i really didn't feel like grinding and grinding to unlock everything cause if i tried to do unlocks using it the traditional way, i'd probably be stuck trying to grind stuff for 30 or more hours. I was playing it for 7 hours and i only got like maybe 5 cars unlocked at that point and time.

Also the game runs pretty smooth except for maybe one or two hiccups here and there. The music was also great, especially the Euro remixs. It is kind of expensive though, but i think if you find it it's worth it. I consider it a hidden gem of the 6th generation. Sumo Digital did a good job with the game. Shame their Sega Crossover games aren't quite as good. Sonic and Sega All-stars racing was pretty decent if nothing new and Transformed was ok, but Mario Kart 8 blasts it out of the water any day of the week.

ps2ydu48.jpg

Great version, still love to fire it up and lose a lazy afternoon to its SEGA blue skies.

Justinh

I was just literally looking at the prices for this yesterday and going "damn..."

Curious, on what platform were you playing it?

As a huge fan of the original Outrun game, I feel bad missing out on this (expensive) and Coast 2 Coast (delisted). I guess I have to make do with vanilla Outrun 2.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
As a huge fan of the original Outrun game, I feel bad missing out on this (expensive) and Coast 2 Coast (delisted). I guess I have to make do with vanilla Outrun 2.

You can always get a boxed PC copy. They're dirt cheap.

I picked up the PS2 disc for $3 back when PS2 games were on clearance everywhere.

There is no other game that makes me spontaneously want to hook my PS2 back up all the time.

slash000

Zeboyd Games
Yeah I got this when Gamestop cleared out their PS2 stock for like $4 or something.

LOVE this game.

Seems that it's the oXbox and PSP versions that sell for a lot, but the PS2 version and PC (I think?) versions are cheap.

PS2 ver goes for like.. $15-$20 I think?

Great game. I'm guessing the oXbox ver is the better console version, but, I mean, I had a friggin blast on PS2.

I play this fairly frequently on PC/Steam. Was late getting to 2006 (though fortunately not TOO late) largely because I was happy with Xbox Outrun 2, which I had bought at launch. But yeah, 2006 is all that and more.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Does this version have the mash up of Super GT tracks? I remember it being unlockable in the original Xbox Outrun 2.

Anyways I'm very jealous!

sibarraz

Banned
I will buy every single related microsoft product if they make outrun retro compatible.

I know that sega will not sell the game, but do they need to pay licenses if they make the game compatible for owners of the game?

The PC version is great and very scalable. You can hit 4K 60fps very easily. This is one of those games I always keep on the hard drive because I can always go back for a another run.

I will buy every single related microsoft product if they make outrun retro compatible.

I know that sega will not sell the game, but do they need to pay licenses if they make the game compatible for owners of the game?

If you're referring to backward compatibility on Xbox One then every BC game is essentially a new X1 release so it depends on how the initial agreements were set up with the license holders. More than likely we won't see Outrun unless Sega works up a new licensing agreement with Ferrari for a new game and includes the BC stuff as a footnote.

PantsuJo

Outrun 2 and Outrun 2006 are the BEST RACING GAMES EVER MADE. (imo)

(Arcade racing, I mean)

I love them with all my soul, they are pure arcade pleasure and joy. Such beauty.

For years I had the OG Xbox version (f-a-n-t-a-s-t-i-c port) but then I had to sell all my retrogaming collection, years ago :(

Now I have the PC version, another great version and runs perfectly on Windows 10 without issues.

I read a lot about the definitive version of Outrun 2 for PlayStation 2, the legendary Outrun 2 SP (only NTSC-J): it seems a "programming miracle", they included some features exclusive for the arcade version (the shuttle launching animation or other goodies).

Glorious days, the REAL blue skies, my friend. The real SEGA skies :)

Miker

The PC version is glorious in 4K (especially on an OLED - those skies have never been bluer!). The community mod that adds in Xinput and rumble support (and I think wheel support) makes it super awesome. It is missing some graphical effects from the console versions (bloom) but I think you can add some SweetFX to emulate the effect.

PantsuJo

Tears of joy while playing it, everytime, such awesome experience.

We need a new 3d outrun, the world needs a new Outrun.

One day we will have a new one, one day...

Tears of joy while playing it, everytime, such awesome experience.

We need a new 3d outrun, the world needs a new Outrun.

One day we will have a new one, one day...

It would be such a figueiri-level of joy, i tell you.

Well Sega gave us 3D Outrun for 3DS, but that's not what we are looking for, isn't it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I got this for $5 at EB Games over half a decade back, and it sat in my collection for years before I realized what a goddamn gem it is.

It's now one of my favourite games of all time. It's not really a "racing game". It's a gamer's game where you drive. I feel like it's more in the camp of Pac Man, Mario, Final Fantasy than Gran Turismo or Forza.

Never got the HD version, and it's a shame. But I'll live. I love my OG Xbox copy.

I want to see an Outrun 3. My theory is that the girl should be driving in this one, with the boyfriend now making the cute gestures of approval/disapproval.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I got this game a while ago on the mail. I enjoyed it alot. though i basically used cheats cause i really didn't feel like grinding and grinding to unlock everything cause if i tried to do unlocks using it the traditional way, i'd probably be stuck trying to grind stuff for 30 or more hours. I was playing it for 7 hours and i only got like maybe 5 cars unlocked at that point...
You should be playing the game for 30 hours you heathen!

Kidding aside it's a game that is tragically not on Steam any more and really deserves better treatment as it seems to have been largely forgotten. One of my favourite racers of the mid 2000's

PantsuJo

You should be playing the game for 30 hours you heathen!

Kidding aside it's a game that is tragically not on Steam any more and really deserves better treatment as it seems to have been largely forgotten. One of my favourite racers of the mid 2000's
It was on Steam years ago but then Sega lost Ferrari rights (and this is the reason why 3D Outrun on 3DS doesn't have a real Testarossa)

Never really played an OUTRUN game but I love the aesthetic! Would love to see what SEGA could do with the series on modern hardware, honestly. It also doesn't seem like it would be a money sink, you could probably produce a title like it for much less than other genres.

san00ake

I absolutely love this game.
It is great that the PS2 version supports progressive scan, but I would kill for a PS4 HD port.

I got this game a while ago on the mail. I enjoyed it alot. though i basically used cheats cause i really didn't feel like grinding and grinding to unlock everything cause if i tried to do unlocks using it the traditional way, i'd probably be stuck trying to grind stuff for 30 or more hours. I was playing it for 7 hours and i only got like maybe 5 cars unlocked at that point and time.

Also the game runs pretty smooth except for maybe one or two hiccups here and there. The music was also great, especially the Euro remixs. It is kind of expensive though, but i think if you find it it's worth it. I consider it a hidden gem of the 6th generation. Sumo Digital did a good job with the game. Shame their Sega Crossover games aren't quite as good. Sonic and Sega All-stars racing was pretty decent if nothing new and Transformed was ok, but Mario Kart 8 blasts it out of the water any day of the week.

Yeah that's bullshit.

rainz

The PSP port is actually awesome as well.
Not sure if it runs on Vita but i occasionally dig out the PSP to fire it up... So good!

notBald

The PC version is great and very scalable. You can hit 4K 60fps very easily. This is one of those games I always keep on the hard drive because I can always go back for a another run.

The game ran great on my Nvidia 7300 laptop, one of the few that did, but on my GTX 770 desktop it has graphical glitches. Could be a driver issue, of course, and I've not tried any community patches (it's the original DVD).

I bought it shortly after launch, but it wasn't that easy to find. It was just by chance I knew the game existed at all, so I suspect Sega did a poor job marketing and getting the PC version out into stores. I ended up ordering it online.

Justinh

Are you in the UK? Picked up a really clean Xbox copy from musicmagpie on eBay for £16.

Damn, lol. Naw man, US. I'm not sure if I wanna say how much I just spent on a copy of this and Outrun 2 for Xbox (Outrun 2 much cheaper of course). At least I know I'll get them on Saturday.

notBald

Damn, lol. Naw man, US. I'm not sure if I wanna say how much I just spent on a copy of this and Outrun 2 for Xbox (Outrun 2 much cheaper of course). At least I know I'll get them on Saturday.

Isn't Outrun 2006 just Outrun 2 + extra levels? What's the point of getting the older version?

Justinh

Isn't Outrun 2006 just Outrun 2 + extra levels? What's the point of getting the older version?

I think basically yeah. Pretty sure I saw something different about 2 that wasn't in the Coast 2 Coast version though. I'll have to re-investigate. Mainly though, I just bought it too because it's not expensive.

PantsuJo

I think basically yeah. Pretty sure I saw something different about 2 that wasn't in the Coast 2 Coast version though. I'll have to re-investigate. Mainly though, I just bought it too because it's not expensive.

I don't remember well... but maybe Sumo Digital tweaked the control system a bit... ?

Justinh

I don't remember well... but maybe Sumo Digital tweaked the control system a bit... ?

I think it was that some of the unlockable tracks from Outrun 2 aren't included in Coast 2 Coast, and Outrun 2 has the tracks from Outrun 1 which aren't in C2C.
Isn't it more likely tracks for Sega's earlier 3D effort, like Daytona, Scud race, etc. Outrun 1 tracks would look rather strange I suppose :)

Yeah, apparently those are the unlockable tracks, and Outrun 1 is unlockable to play in Outrun 2, but not in Coast 2 Coast. Apparently Outrun 2 is the better looking game, too.

notBald

I think it was that some of the unlockable tracks from Outrun 2 aren't included in Coast 2 Coast, and Outrun 2 has the tracks from Outrun 1 which aren't in C2C.

Isn't it more likely tracks for Sega's earlier 3D effort, like Daytona, Scud race, etc. Outrun 1 tracks would look rather strange I suppose :)

Outrun 2006 has both Outrun 2 and Outrun 2 SP's sets of tracks, and introduces the slipstream mechanic plus a few other little touches. Outrun 2's Xbox port has two bonus tracks comprised of the circuits from Scud Race and Daytona USA 2.

Top Bottom