• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google reveals the coolest video games, video game consoles among US teens 13-17

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Source: https://storage.googleapis.com/think/docs/its-lit.pdf

googlevg1mqze8.png

googlevg3uxl80.png

googlevg2rgl8i.png

Wouldn't this be skewed by BotW being released so recently? I'm honestly surprised that so many kids have that much love for Zelda.

Are these people that grew up playing Twilight vs Millenials that grew up playing Ocarina?

Oreo? Lol

Pretty cool to see Zelda topping the "cool" scale but it doesn't surprise me at all. Step into any Hot Topic and take a look at the front counters.

EhoaVash

Lol wtf at Oreos and Doritos I mean really.

The Zelda spike is cause of botw release, which I'm sure will die down and another game will easily replace it's spot on this list after a month.

RulkezX

Not all that surprised about Xbox.

They cemented their place with kids with Minecraft and Roblox and various early access titles. Neither of my boys generally play ps4 cause all their friends use x1's.

My youngest is also desperate to play Zelda site to its presence im TV ads and YT over the lady few months.

YouTube is also pretty much to them what kids cartoons were to me when I was their age.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Really surprised by Zelda there. What would've been teens' release during their lifetime? Twilight Princess?

Synless

Interesting that Xbox beat out PlayStation... Sales don't reflect this. Though I suppose that is because millennials have the buying power.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Lol wtf at Oreos and Doritos I mean really.

The Zelda spike is cause of botw release, which I'm sure will die down and another game will easily replace it's spot on this list after a month.

I would think a big part of it is Twilight Princess on the Wii presumably being one of their first major action-adventure games given the age range of the people involved.

DrArchon

I'm confused at the list of most popular games. It's got game series on there like Pokemon and Zelda, but then it also has specific games like CSGO and CoDBlops. Shouldn't it be all series or all single games? Like, BotW and S/M instead of just Zelda and Pokemon?

jessterfer

Neo Member
Maybe I'm being too picky, but most of the favorite "games" are just franchises. Would be interested to see if they specified which in the series.

Timeaisis

"Believe and Relies on Brands to shape their world" sounds extremely weird. You're better than that, Z. Doritos ain't shaping the real world anytime soon.

Also, very surprised Apple isn't on the brands list. Not that I care.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Interesting that Xbox beat out PlayStation...

I feel one of the undersold aspects of Microsoft's success is how many younger children they managed to pick up starting around the time of the Kinect, and shortly afterwards Minecraft, in the U.S. and the U.K.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
League of Legends or Dota 2 aren't popular among US? But CS:GO on the list.

Really surprised by Zelda there. What would've been teens' release during their lifetime? Twilight Princess?
Twilight Princess, the DS games, the HD ports or 3ds remakes and the massive merchandising push that makes Zelda cool to wear for kids.
Interesting that Xbox beat out PlayStation...
The 360 found its way into tons of homes early on and was the home for half of the biggest IPs in the list.

Aiustis

Zelda makes plenty of sense. Lots of games and interesting play throughs for them kids watch that stuff.

also merchandise

Why are video games always "an escape from reality?" I understand for a lot of people, they are, but for me they've always been the only art form that brings forth interaction. That they have to be a way to escape the real world isn't necessarily derivative, but it paints a picture of the every day life as unassailable for the medium's fan.

Outside of the videogame section, this is a very well designed print piece.

And the market research is interesting. Poor quicksilver. I'd imagine ~16 years ago, when I was would be a prime age for this study, quicksilver would have been highly recognized and highly thought of as cool.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
Wait, no Apple? Oh ,it's google

Neptonic

Why is google trying to make Gen Z lame already
But I think this data is correct. I volunteer in a 5th grade class and those kids love CoD, minecraft, and early access survival games. Or at least they like watching people play them.

Top Bottom