• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AP: Investigation reveals 2,000 allegations of sex abuse by UN peacekeepers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe

It's a very depressing read so I will not quote any of the specifics

UN peacekeepers' child sex ring left victims, but no arrests
An Associated Press investigation of U.N. missions during the past 12 years found nearly 2,000 allegations of sexual abuse and exploitation by peacekeepers and other personnel around the world — signaling the crisis is much larger than previously known. More than 300 of the allegations involved children, the AP found, but only a fraction of the alleged perpetrators served jail time.

Legally, the U.N. is in a bind. It has no jurisdiction over peacekeepers, leaving punishment to the countries that contribute the troops.

Without agreement for widespread reform and accountability from the U.N.'s member states, solutions remain elusive.

Joe

Typo in the title.

Can a mod change it to "AP: Investigation reveals 2,000 allegations of sex abuse against UN peacekeepers"?

TarNaru33

Banned
Not much the U.N can do about issues like this due to the fact it has no real jurisdiction for punishment other than relieving the "peacekeeper" from his/her duty. I do not see enough countries voting to give the U.N that sort of power either. Not sure what the solution is because of that.

Since the UN is literally above the law and cannot be prosecuted in any court this is not going to have any real effect. Peacekeeping forces are for a big part a money making machines for poor countries that get paid a standard fee by the UN that is many times what they pay their soldiers.

TarNaru33

Banned
Since the UN is literally above the law and cannot be prosecuted in any court this is not going to have any real effect. Peacekeeping forces are for a big part a money making machines for poor countries that get paid a standard fee by the UN that is many times what they pay their soldiers.

This isn't really fair to say, the UN can't do anything because it literally has no legal authority to do anything about it other than dismissing the peacekeeper. So it is not because it is above the law, the country that sent the soldiers should and are expected to be the ones to prosecute any soldiers that break international or host nation laws.

Xe4

Banned
Yeah, this has been happening for a while, and continues to be horrible. It's one of the reasons better female representation in The Peacekeepers is needed.

CTLance

Horrific. You'd think, as a race we'd be able to at least pull off peacekeeping and relief efforts without falling off the deep end.

Hope they find a way to punish those beasts. Dammit. Those poor kids.

There's a lot of gross things in this article, but as a person whose family is from Haiti on one side that doesn't really stay in touch with what's going on over there, I think it's important that I read this. I'm not sure how things like this can be handled when it comes to UN "peacekeepers". I also don't see this story getting a lot of national coverage in the US, although I'd love to be wrong.

I'm debating on whether I want to show this article to my mother or not. It's very chilling and depressing, but knowing her it's likely something she'll find out about sooner or later, assuming she hasn't hear about earlier investigations on the subject from my relatives.

BajiBoxer

Banned
It's awful, but I'm not sure what to do about. We can't even seem to separate our own military excursions from this stuff. I think it was the Balkins where U.S. contractors were keeping child sex slaves in their tents. Then we've got the protection of these people with our "allies" in Afghanistan.

It'd be nice if we could lead in cracking down on these crimes.

absolutely insane stuff. the world refuses to help Haiti in any way. Even sadder that Cuba has gotten a large sum of the Caribbean aid in immigration privileges when Haiti has always deserved it far far more.

It's amazing that the single largest humanitarian crisis affecting the MOST HUMANS in the world, and if solved, would uplift the lives and economies of most across the world... remains the subjugation and violence against women.

Unfortunately the biggest crisis in the world doesn't make it to the Top 10 of issues talked about in politics or the media.

absolutely insane stuff. the world refuses to help Haiti in any way. Even sadder that Cuba has gotten a large sum of the Caribbean aid in immigration privileges when Haiti has always deserved it far far more.

Haiti was the first nation where black slaves liberated themselves. Both old and new colonial powers ruling over the island have sought to it that they get properly isolated and punished for it.

Piecake

United Nations peacekeepers in Haiti sexually abused nine children over a period of three years, an Associated Press investigation has found. It’s the latest in a long series of sex abuse scandals to plague U.N. peacekeeping missions worldwide.

From 2004 to 2007, 134 peacekeepers from Sri Lanka operated a child sex ring, luring children on the poverty-stricken island with candy and bits of cash, according to the AP. After a U.N. report incriminated them, most were sent home, but none faced jail time.

One victim told U.N. investigators, “I did not even have breasts,” according to the AP. Over a period of three years, beginning when she was 12 years old, she was forced to have sex with over 50 peacekeepers, the AP said.

There’s little doubt sexual abuse has become a systemic problem among peacekeepers. To date, there have been over 2,000 allegations of sexual abuse, 300 of those involving children, according to the AP report. But due to legal restrictions, the U.N. is not permitted to punish perpetrators, a responsibility which is left to host countries in places where those governments are often neither capable nor willing to bother.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/04/14/u-n-peacekeepers-ran-a-child-sex-ring-in-haiti/

MIMIC

Banned
Probably the most revolting thing I've read all week. That is just incredibly sick to take advantage of and abuse innocent children like that. I can barely finish the story.

L Thammy

How do you recruit your coworkers into a child sex ring? I can't imagine that happening wih any normal workplace; it's horrifying to me that all these are willing to participate. Is it that there's a sense of camaraderie that makes them complicit? Does the job lure sexual predators? Is there someone above keeping the rest in line with threats?

Biske

Jesus fucking christ. When are we going to stop giving people institutional control over children and then do nothing as they are abused over and over.

God damn. Just flood the fucking planet.

These are the absolute worst kind of human beings, at least terrorist groups ISIS makes no bones about who they are. These people hude under the veil of peacekeepers.

This is a bad opinion.

Dabanton

A disturbing amount of UN peacekeepers also abused kids in Congo and bosnia amongst others.

Seems these pigs like to arrange sex rings with kids.

Ac30

This is so wrong in so many ways. The UN cannot punish these troops.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
How do the countries select the peace keepers they're going to send?

There is no standardized process. That's because the UN has no forces of their own.

http://ti-defence.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/2013-10_-Corruption-PK-report.pdf

Alot of the problems come from the UN not having more contol over the peacekeeping forces themselves. Many soldiers from the developing world consider getting a peacekeeping gig a very cushy job because it is supposed to pay better (through any means, cough) than a regular soldier in their home country. Technically, the UN pays the supplying country a flat fee and the government will then pay the soldiers from that cash, but it may not happen.

From the link above:
Sexual exploitation and abuse (SEA)47 by UN
Peacekeepers has been of major
international concern since scandals first
erupted in 2000. No UN mission has gone
without accusations of SEA.
The experience of dealing with SEA
illustrates the damage that can be inflicted
on a mission and on the UN as a whole
when mechanisms to address potential
threats are not factored into planning, and
are only considered once the problem has
occurred. There is an obvious parallel with
the potential consequences of ignoring
corruption.
The subject is not addressed further in
this report, as significant measures have
been taken to try to correct the problem
since the Zeid report in 2005.48

Ac30

There is no standardized process. That's because the UN has no forces of their own.

http://ti-defence.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/2013-10_-Corruption-PK-report.pdf

Alot of the problems come from the UN not having more contol over the peacekeeping forces themselves. Many soldiers from the developing world consider getting a peacekeeping gig a very cushy job because it is supposed to pay better (through any means, cough) than a regular soldier in their home country. Technically, the UN pays the supplying country a flat fee and the government will then pay the soldiers from that cash, but it may not happen.

From the link above:

The UN really needs to have the ability to punish soldiers (or countries, failing that) who commit crimes while deployed.

But I also think the UN needs actual teeth so my ideas are unpopular everywhere :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom