• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rank the Indiana Jones films

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me it's

I'm curious to know what others think ...
3 is so well made, I would have loved if the first 5-10 min of the movie would have been longer. I love seeing young indiana in action.

The Mummy
Tin Tin

Always. 4th is garbage. 3rd is nice but seems so uninspired and like an Indiana Jones greatest hits movie or something

Raiders is an action adventure masterpiece

3>1>2>4 obviously.

The odd ones get better every time, and the even ones get worse. That's why they should make a fifth one. It would be a masterpiece.

120v

Raiders
TIE: Temple & Crusade
Kingdom of the Crystal Meth

Temple of Doom and Last Crusade are waaay different movies but i could take either/or on a different day. Doom was silly but hewed more to the pulpy serials the movies tried to emulate; Crusade was more of an epic but some things bring it down a few notches below Raiders

I was actually fine with Crystal Skull up until they got to South America and it basically became a Disney ride. I didn't so much mind stuff like aliens and nuked fridges -- that's perfectly in line with the Indy universe (or a figurative one set in the 50s, anyway)

Tomb Raider
Tomb Raider Cradle of Life
The Goonies
Da Vinci Code
National Treasure
Pirates of the Caribbean
The Mummy
Ducktales Treasure of the Lost Lamp
Tin Tin
Uncharted cutscenes

rekameohs

Banned

Sizable gap

The rest - I guess I'd go 3, then 2, then 4

I think they're all well made, but yes, Last Crusade isn't even close to sniffing Raiders' greatness. Crusade is tame AF.

Tomb Raider
The Goonies
Da Vinci Code
National Treasure
Pirates of the Caribbean
The Mummy
Tin Tin
Uncharted cutscenes

Da Vinci Code is too high. Also needs The Librarian: Quest for the Spear right above 4.

MouldyK

Tomb Raider
The Goonies
Da Vinci Code
National Treasure
Pirates of the Caribbean
The Mummy
Tin Tin
Uncharted cutscenes

What Uncharted Cutscenes? All of them?

Where's National Treasure 2?

And the other Da Vincis?

And the other Pirates?

And the other Mummy Films?

And Tin-Tin 2?!
C'mon Spielberg or Jackson...whoevers doing it.

TDLink

OP, you got it right. Or at least that's my order too.

I can understand people preferring Raiders to Last Crusade though. They're both incredibly great movies that are pretty close in quality.

Temple of Doom has some good moments but altogether is a bit "off" and clearly worse than the other two (but leagues better than Crystal Skull). It really struggles along until its Climax and the two main supporting characters are just aggravating. I always thought the opening with Anything Goes was fun though.

TDLink

You guys are missing this ahead of Crystal Skull in all your lists too:

YIJC_ABC.jpg

Real talk, Crystal Skull has a pretty great first act...then it goes horribly off the rails.

I hope when they actually do Indy 5 they get it right.

Occam

3 1 2, I think. But 3 and 1 are close.

Reminds me that we never got the uncensored version of Last Crusade on home video: In the initial theatrical release of "The Last Crusade", Walter Donovan points to a chest of gold items and says to the Sultan of Hatay "... donated by the finest Jewish families in Germany." In all subsequent releases of the film the word "Jewish" has been edited out of the dialogue.

I hate it when movies are censored after the theatrical release.

causan

3>1>2>>>The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>4

TDLink

3 1 2, I think. But 3 and 1 are close.

Reminds me that we never got the uncensored version of Last Crusade on home video: In the initial theatrical release of "The Last Crusade", Walter Donovan points to a chest of gold items and says to the Sultan of Hatay "... donated by the finest Jewish families in Germany." In all subsequent releases of the film the word "Jewish" has been edited out of the dialogue.

This edit is puzzling to me because it makes it way less sinister and he's already a fucking Nazi.

Spladam

I don't understand how folks rank Last Crusade above Raiders, LC wasn't bad, but Raiders is legend, it's magic. I also only know Indy to be a trilogy, it's the only way to live with ones self.

Occam

This edit is puzzling to me because it makes it way less sinister and he's already a fucking Nazi.

Yeah, and the scene doesn't really make sense that way. Why would ordinary German families have donated the gold? No, it was "donated" by Jewish families.

120v

kinda grim for indy, where nazis are more of a faceless villain than perpetrators of historical atrocities. though Crusade delved into them a bit more (even had hitler himself) so it wasn't too out of place

EGM1966

1>3>2>4

Raiders is far and away best balanced and executed of them all though. Best action scenes too and best ending although Crusade comes closest to match it and has very strong ending too but it's uneven in narrative pacing although Connery/Ford play off each other like a dream so I can see how some might favour it even though critically it's not as perfectly constructed.

Temple remains quite the ride but it's even more uneven and has too little depth to it: it leans too heavily to being non stop thrills and of course it has serious racial portrayal issues. Gotta love the minecart chase though.

Skulls is skulls. Not awful (despite the reputation) but it takes a great cast and the actual good idea of going with Indy's age and making it a old war SF thriller and just doesn't gel. The third act feels particularly weak after a pretty damn good opening.

Raiders though remains sublime. Perfectly executed and lean, lean, lean in delivery with perfect balance of thrills, humour and action with all the core team keen to prove their stuff and out to deliver in a way they've never equalled: Spielberg wanted to prove himself again after 1941, Ford wanted to be more than Han the sidekick to Luke as lead and they had a great, great script and core structure they never bettered and by far and away the film had the most interesting villains and of course Freeman's "dark" Indy giving it surprising depth as he muses on history and the passage of time plus Marion was the best female foil and particularly for the period wonderfully self sufficient. Her scene with Belloq in the tent is a highlight of the series.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

For some reason I never liked The Last Crusade as much as everyone else, still a great film though. I'm also one of the very few that thinks Crystal Skull is OK.

Occam

1>3>2>4

Raiders is far and away best balanced and executed of them all though. Best action scenes too and best ending although Crusade comes closest to match it and has very strong ending too but it's uneven in narrative pacing although Connery/Ford play off each other like a dream so I can see how some might favour it even though critically it's not as perfectly constructed.

Temple remains quite the ride but it's even more uneven and has too little depth to it: it leans too heavily to being non stop thrills and of course it has serious racial portrayal issues. Gotta love the minecart chase though.

Skulls is skulls. Not awful (despite the reputation) but it takes a great cast and the actual good idea of going with Indy's age and making it a old war SF thriller and just doesn't gel. The third act feels particularly weak after a pretty damn good opening.

Raiders though remains sublime. Perfectly executed and lean, lean, lean in delivery with perfect balance of thrills, humour and action with all the core team keen to prove their stuff and out to deliver in a way they've never equalled: Spielberg wanted to prove himself again after 1941, Ford wanted to be more than Han the sidekick to Luke as lead and they had a great, great script and core structure they never bettered and by far and away the film had the most interesting villains and of course Freeman's "dark" Indy giving it surprising depth as he muses on history and the passage of time plus Marion was the best female foil and particularly for the period wonderfully self sufficient. Her scene with Belloq in the tent is a highlight of the series.

You are absolutely right, which is why I'm having a hard time deciding which one I like better. Raiders may be the better crafted/structured film but Crusade simply was such a fun ride...

Apt101

1. Crusade
2. Temple
3. Raiders
4. That abomination upon Christ

Raiders is probably the better movie technically than Temple, but I have a fond place in my memory for Temple. My brother and I watched it many times as kids and would mimic Short Round and the other characters. Lots of funny (even if just funny sounding) and/or weird dialog in that film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom