• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which era of the 2000s did you prefer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre-social media, or post-social media?

hIGBaf4.png

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Late 06 - 09 were literally some of the worst years of my life. Things wouldn't improve until 2013 or so...

First half was the best part of my life, so this is easy picking

Geist-

If we're talking strictly social media, I prefer the world with it instead of without it, as much as I like to complain. Tech is better post 2006 as well. Also Obama.

TV and Movies on the otherhand, it's hard to make a choice. A lot of good stuff came out in both halves of the decade.

No. 2000 is the last year of the 90s. 2001 is the first year of the new milennium.

Edit: although the 'late' doesn't really make sense to me either.
As I said before, late 2001 is chosen because 9/11 is considered the event that really kickstarted the 2000s.

2001 - 2006 had the PS2, the best Harry Potter film, the best Spider-Man film, The Incredibles and lots of great moments in my life (I was a kid). Lots of great animated show reruns. Unfortunately, it also had 9/11 and the Iraq war.

2006 - 2009 was nice for the most part if I'm ignoring secondary school. Obama was elected President so that was cool (again, for the most part).
No. 2000 is the last year of the 90s. 2001 is the first year of the new milennium.
Got it.

Chuckie

As I said before, late 2001 is chosen because 9/11 is considered the event that really kickstarted the 2000s.

That doesn't make sense at all though. The 90s started at 91, the 80s at 81.

If 9/11 never happened...would that mean the 00s never really started?

On the other hand, it is your topic, so you set the rules ;)

And OT... I think I prefer early 00s. But that could be nostalgia.

Sorry, this collage makes me think of that great "behold my PS Masterpiece" thread. I guess my answer is second half of the 2000's. First half was a rough time for me.

If 9/11 never happened...would that mean the 00s never really started?
Some other event would've started them. It's not always the "-1" year that thrusts us into the culture of the new decade.

For instance, "the 60s" are often considered to have begun (culturally not numerically) in late 1963 when JFK was assassinated.

Early 2000s easy. Better years for gaming, music, some TV, and Pluto is a planet dammit!

Also instant messaging on computers. Great times.

FromAtoX

2006 and up. Almost everything got better imo, and anyway you could access all the good stuff from the early 2000s too! Lol.

Dishwalla

Banned
Tough choice, but I'm gonna go with the early 2000s. Lots of turmoil in the country after 9/11 and the two wars, but those were my high school years and I had tons of fun. 2007 and 2008 weren't good years at all.

Chuckie

Some other event would've started them. It's not always the "-1" year that thrusts us into the culture of the new decade.

For instance, "the 60s" are often considered to have begun (culturally not numerically) in late 1963 when JFK was assassinated.

Ok. Never heard of this and it seems from a very American point of view to be honest.

Krammy

Early 2000's because I have better memories from before MySpace and Facebook came along.

#DicksOutForPluto

Jubbe

You are right that 2001 is the start of the millennium, but that's not how decades work. When someone says the "nineties" they mean the years what end with Ninety, ie 90-99.

EDIT: To clarify, centuries start at the -01 year because you are starting from the year 1AD when you talk about it being the 20th century. Decades aren't really talked about that way. For example Pitchfork's top 500 songs of the 2000's was won by Bombs Over Baghdad released in 2000.

StayDead

2001-2006. I was still in school, but at least some of the worst things that ever happened to me hadn't happened yet. 2007-2010 sucked really badly for me. I lost one of my closest family members, my Dad moved away for Work and left my Mum, my Mum nearly died about 4 times in a hospital visit that spanned 5 months and I nearly failed college due to stress/illness/probable depression which made me miss a hell of a lot of it.

+ 2001-2006 had the Gamecube, my favourite console!

Although I will say I always thought the first year of a decade was the X0, then the final year was the end of X9

Chuckie

You are right that 2001 is the start of the millennium, but that's not how decades work. When someone says the "nineties" they mean the years what end with Ninety, ie 90-99.

EDIT: To clarify, centuries start at the -01 year because you are starting from the year 1AD when you talk about it being the 20th century. Decades aren't really talked about that way. For example Pitchfork's top 500 songs of the 2000's was won by Bombs Over Baghdad released in 2000.

Yeah I just read that. It is rather confusing, because the first decade (of modern times) would be 1-10, then 11-20 etc. So the third decade of the 20th century (which started 1901) would be 1921-30. Yet when we discuss the decade 'the 20s' we talk about 1920-1929.

Jubbe

Yeah I just read that. It is rather confusing, because the first decade (of modern times) would be 1-10, then 11-20 etc. So the third decade of the 20th century (which started 1901) would be 1921-30. Yet when we discuss the decade 'the 20s' we talk about 1920-1929.

Well when you talk about the 1990's you don't talk about it as being the two thousandth decade. if you did, then that would be 91 to 00. But instead we just talk about the 1990s because its simpler and those are the numbers that look alike.

Chuckie

Well when you talk about the 1990's you don't talk about it as being the two thousandth decade. if you did, then that would be 91 to 00. But instead we just talk about the 1990s because its simpler and those are the numbers that look alike.

Yet wikipedia does. Which makes it confusing. the 90s are the final decade of the first century and it is 90-99. Which doesn't make sense because the first century does not end at 99 but at 100.

Jubbe

Yet wikipedia does. Which makes it confusing. the 90s are the final decade of the first century and it is 90-99. Which doesn't make sense because the first century does not end at 99 but at 100.

I wouldn't put too much faith in Wikipedia mate.

EDIT: Keep in mind that none of this actually matters. People just like numbers that look and sound similar to be packaged together. Don't overthink it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The first half was a post-9/11 dystopia. America went insane with fear. War on Iraq, etc. Feature phones were garbage. Loved the PS2 and GameCube era though.

Second half was the regaining of social sanity. I liked the increasing intellectual class of Obama's America (RIP). And I do love the beginnings of social media and smartphones. I found 2008 and 2009 to be kind of a magical era in technology. People seemed happy with the potential of tech. I found PS3 kind of frustrating as a lover of PS1/2 and Japanese games, though.

Chuckie

I wouldn't put too much faith in Wikipedia mate.

Ok is the Cambridge Dictionary good enough?

a period of ten years, especially a period such as 2010 to 2019

That defenition suggest the first decade would be 0 to 9, while it was 1 to 10.

Though one could argue a decade is simply a period of 10 years, in which case the 1990s are a decade that lasts from 1990 until 1999. Still I refuse to call that period the last decade of the 2nd millennium, because you are left with a 'spare' year.

EDIT: Keep in mind that none of this actually matters. People just like numbers that look and sound similar to be packaged together. Don't overthink it.

It doesn't matter indeed haha. It always has been a small annoyance to me haha.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
The current era, personally.

I can get behind some trends these days, whereas when I was younger I couldn't identify with most of the things my peers were into.

The prominence of minimalism in affordable fashion and interior design is something I wouldn't trade for the world. I also really love a lot of emerging music artists.

Jubbe

Ok is the Cambridge Dictionary good enough?

That defenition suggest the first decade would be 0 to 9, while it was 1 to 10.

Though one could argue a decade is simply a period of 10 years, in which case the 1990s are a decade that lasts from 1990 until 1999. Still I refuse to call that period the last decade of the 2nd millennium, because you are left with a 'spare' year.

You are so insistent on having all of the decades run end to end from the year 1AD on, but that's not how people talk about decades, or think about time in general.

I mean 1972 to 1981 is a decade. Any 10 year period is a decade

When people break up their life into decades they like to do it in packages of years that sound similar, so the 1990's is 1990 to 1999. You are overthinking it.

EDIT: Like I said previously, centuries are different because they are defined from the year 1AD. You talk about the twenty-first century. Meaning that twenty centuries had to have been completed prior to the twenty-first starting, hence it starts in 2001.

EDIT2: In regards to the OP, I would say that personally I was happier during the first period, but looking back the second period was a better time for the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom