• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video of the Project Scorpio devkit

kami_sama

Sorry, I don't really think a devkit would have a fancy oled screen on the front.
But the (fake) renders are sleek as hell!

Shiggy

Will they keep some kind of screen on the retail unit? Not sure for what though, but it's certainly looking cool.

DF/Eurogamer should be having an article on this soon, right? :)

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Imagine the retail version keeps this and it displays info like the time, # unread messages or other OS things.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Why do I feel like that stupid performance LCD screen is just there to make consumers believe they actually give a crap about performances?

MilkyJoe

Sorry, I don't really think a devkit would have a fancy oled screen on the front.
But the (fake) renders are sleek as hell!

This is old news

xbox_scorpio_dev_kits_stacked1.JPG

Why do I feel like that stupid performance LCD screen is just there to make consumers believe they actually give a crap about performances?

It won't be on the retail

Shiggy

Nope. It's just for debugging/performance monitoring.

I meant, if they were to put up a screen on the final unit, I wouldn't know what potential use one could find to make it worthwhile. Just looking cool might not be enough :)

I think the hardware team at Microsoft certainly does. I think the technicians at most hardware companies do. But then they need to be grounded to consider costs.

What exactly is the point of that screen on there? I can't imagine any dev actually relying on that for performance testing over on-screen tools.

Sizzel

if it can deliver, that would actually be a crowing point. We(PC gamers) run FPS counters on our games all the time. It would be nice to see console performance get that kind of attention so 30 FPS fluster cluck don't slip through the net.

If console gamers start being aware and demanding real performance as opposed to just get stuck with the worst versions of games.. it is good for gamers -bad for devs, but good for us. No more fast and loose builds being "ok" ideally.

I really hope Scorpio blows me away at E3. Everything seems great so far but the actual performance difference in third party games will be a driving factor for me.

amardilo

Ok, I talked before really knowing what I was talking about. But really? A fucking OLED screen?

Could be pretty useful, it could output information that wouldn't be displayed on screen like the console/log/stream output you don't see on screen or be used to display info likes frames or whatever. Maybe it could output any exception that happens (that doesn't cause the game that is running to crash).

I wonder if the final product will retain the buttons on the front? would be kind of neat if you could bookmark games or apps with them so when you wake the console it just launched that specific thing right away.

But I guess that wouldn't matter since you can wake with the controller and would need something to navigate the app or game anyway.

daveo42

Banned
I think the dev kit looks cool and that OLED display looks pretty fucking rad, but I'm not sure how much actual utility you get out of such a small display. I'm sure there are way better tools to use to monitor your build and it seems more for checking more final/retail builds.

if it can deliver, that would actually be a crowing point. We(PC gamers) run FPS counters on our games all the time. It would be nice to see console performance get that kind of attention so 30 FPS fluster cluck don't slip through the net.

If console gamers start being aware and demanding real performance as opposed to just get stuck with the worst versions of games.. it is good for gamers -bad for devs, but good for us. No more fast and loose builds being "ok" ideally.
But on PC you use the counters to optimize your settings. On console there's not that much to do about it.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
They rendered a video for a dev kit? Or was that a real unit (I know they look like that)?

Gowans

Looks ace

What's the 1234 buttons for?

Xbox one, xbox one s, xbox Scorpio and full Devl kit power modes?

Top Bottom