• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video of the Project Scorpio devkit

An OLED screen dedicated to showing me the FPS.

That's amazing. Too bad it probably won't be in the retail version.

I'd hate to have it on a console I can't change any settings on though.

I would probably obsess at watching the number, and without a way to fix any dips it would drive me crazy.

Caayn

As in Panosonic? I didn't know that. Did they design the 64's DDdrive? or was that something else?
Panos as in Panos Panay the man behind the Surface line.
vcr-blinking-12.gif
Sigh...

Roe

I wanted to get an Xbox one some day, but for right now, I'm on the fence.

I do like the 4k to go with my TV, but I really don't know how fracturing your install base will pan out. I already own a PS4 and a Switch, so there's no pressure on me to buy one.

Perhaps I will wait until E3 2017 to make a decision.

I wanted to get an Xbox one some day, but for right now, I'm on the fence.

I do like the 4k to go with my TV, but I really don't know how fracturing your install base will pan out. I already own a PS4 and a Switch, so there's no pressure on me to buy one.

Perhaps I will wait until E3 2017 to make a decision.

They're not fracturing the install base though. It's exactly like with the Pro.

Dynomutt

I can see it now countless OLED display threads....

What's your FPS in __________

How to hack OLED to play DOOM

Man OLED is too bright

OLED causing fans to spin loudly

Hack OLED to display texts from phone

How to install Windows 3.1 OLED

How to run emulators on the OLED

Looks like a sexy dev kit. Can't wait to see the final hardware design as the Xbox One S is an attractive piece of kit.

Ushay

Oh boy, the final hardware is going to look amazing isn't it? MS have been nailing hardware lately.

Bsigg12

Panos is designing the hardware, right? Going to be sexy as hell if true.

He's the Corporate VP of Devices at Microsoft so he oversees new hardware coming out but doesn't necessarily mean he's down in the trenches on everything. He does lead Surface though.

I would expect the Scorpio to follow the same design language as the XBO S.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Imagine the retail version keeps this and it displays info like the time, # unread messages or other OS things.

I really don't think it'll happen, but the people this is for would be into a fps counter and real time frame sync graphs a la digital foundry vids. Lol.

He's the Corporate VP of Devices at Microsoft so he oversees new hardware coming out but doesn't necessarily mean he's down in the trenches on everything. He does lead Surface though.

I would expect the Scorpio to follow the same design language as the XBO S.

Well yeah, that's what I meant. :p

insonator

Banned
Lol, MS using a subsidiary to sell looks of a devkit to excited Xbox fan teenagers, where it is not representative of the final product.

Zedox

Lol, MS using a subsidiary to sell looks of a devkit to excited Xbox fan teenagers, where it is not representative of the final product.

Seeing as every Xbox "final" devkit looked very similar to the final product...I can say you are probably incorrect.

insonator

Banned
Seeing as every Xbox "final" devkit looked very similar to the final product...I can say you are probably incorrect.

Did not know the final kit will have 5 buttons (just plug a 101 keyboard, you've got 101 buttons for dev) and that LCD screen which no one will develop for with tight schedules, any sane dev is using runtime monitoring tools to know the actual framerate since ages.

Just 'shop without them and you've got a pretty similar-looking to XBox-S except a tad bigger

From the guy who claims Microsoft was using Digital Foundrys reputation to sell Scorpio specs comes this gem: Microsoft is trying to sell the looks of their devkit to Xbox fan teenagers. Yep, you figured it out! /s

Seriously, why such anger over a plastic box?

shandy706

You'll hit puberty one day and be able to buy hardware from all of the big 3. It'll be ok.

Don't insult people (yes mine is a mock insult) for liking things.

On subject, we already knew what the dev kit looks like, but that's a nice render.

Ploid 3.0

I love the FPS display, wish it shipped with that.

What would be the point of having the FPS display on a consumer console? For Devs and PC gamers it make sense since there's tweaks that can be made to try and maintain a specific framerate, with consoles there's usually nothing you can do. If it looks bad just go into Xbox One mode if there's a option.

insonator

Banned
You'll hit puberty one day and be able to buy hardware from all of the big 3. It'll be ok.

Don't insult people (yes mine is a mock insult) for liking things.

You're liking things you'll never have: a devkit o_O

You'll know when you get devkits on your desk, they get boring fast

Gestault

Why do I feel like that stupid performance LCD screen is just there to make consumers believe they actually give a crap about performances?

Is it possible....that they do? On a new hardware upgrade? Maybe? It's just in the devkit, as far as we know. My guess is it's there to help flag rate/pacing oddities that might otherwise get missed through different steps in testing software.

Did not know the final kit will have 5 buttons (just plug a 101 keyboard, you've got 101 buttons for dev) and that LCD screen which no one will develop for with tight schedules, any sane dev is using runtime monitoring tools to know the actual framerate since ages.

Just 'shop without them and you've got a pretty similar-looking to XBox-S except a tad bigger
The buttons and the LCD screen were additions asked by developers.

Soroc

I really like the design, hoping its pretty comparable to the design and style of the consumer version.

The OLED will allow gamers to see their gamerscores in the dark so they can feel ultra hardcore.

Oooh the edge. What if it displayed info like a cable box since it has HDMI in? What if it displayed the output resolution of whatever media you were playing from games to Netflix? What if it scrolled the hate messages I get in Overwatch?

Man they would never do it but it would be rad if the box itself had an actual digital framecounter on the front of it. Also looks decently compact? Hopefully the final build retains that size.

Breakage

Oooh the edge. What if it displayed info like a cable box since it has HDMI in? What if it displayed the output resolution of whatever media you were playing from games to Netflix? What if it scrolled the hate messages I get in Overwatch?

None of this stuff will make you feel as hardcore as seeing your gamerscore in the dark.

The screen is a pointless expense on the retail units. I also expect it to be smaller and much sleeker looking, like a premium XB1S.

The screen is a pointless expense on the retail units. I also expect it to be smaller and much sleeker looking, like a premium XB1S.

I'm not sure it can be much smaller given the cooling it is going to need to have. The clock speeds on the CPU and GPU are going to run pretty hot.

Top Bottom