• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does eating at Chik-fil-a mean you support their bigotry?

PixelatedBookake

Okay, so as everyone already knows, Chik-fil-a is fucking delicious. Living in Georgia, I can't escape them. But sometimes, when I buy from them, I can't help but feel like I'm funding Truett Cathy (the owner's) crusade against homosexuality and his donations/support of the Trump administration.

But I love their food.

Does this moral problem come up for anybody else? Do you just decide to ignore it? Are their other businesses owned by shitty people where you spend your money despite knowing it might be going to a bad place? Or are you thinking about the workers who need to get paid to live? I wanna know.

Dan-o

Maybe.

edit:
Maybe so.
EDIT: Damn, beaten :(

u1yg5DN.jpg

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
We have one opening here. I don't want my money going to anti-LGBTQIA+ causes. I won't go there.

This is the most NeoGAF response on NeoGAF.

Edit: Sorry. Maybe I should post an actual response to the OP. I think that you could do far worse than eating fried chicken from a chain of restaurants that's owned by a bigot. So, no. I mainly feel this way because with every CFA I've been to, they're all franchisee-owned. So like, yeah, the Cathys get their cut of the receipts, but that money is largely going to the people that are making a living working there...and yo. That spicy chicken is second only to Wendy's, and their fries are top notch. Get that CFA sauce and a sweet tea...unf.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yes, but just participating in every day life means you support all kinds of morally questionable business practices implicitly, so ultimately you'll have to decide for yourself if their chicken is worth their political agenda.

riotous

Banned
You are supporting it in a literal sense; the money you spend ends up partially in coffers that will likely go to funding groups that promote bigotry under the guise of "religious freedom." Maybe a little less so than before the controversy as the company itself doesn't donate to those groups any more, but it's not like you aren't partly paying the owner's salaries, and who knows what they'll do in the future.

But figuratively that's really up to you to deal with the moral aspects; I'll never eat there myself.

joe2187

Banned
I cant escape the chick fil a sauce, diet frosted lemonade and chick fila chicken sandwich. I have two every week. I cannot not have them.

You don't directly support it, but ultimately you are supporting a business whose so up their own ass in religion and conservative values they can't even open on Sunday because apparently everybody who works there must be Christian.

I still eat there because the chicken sandwiches and nuggets are too good

There's no ethical consumption under capitalism. Do you support child exploitation because you wear sneakers? Do you support neo-slave labor because you use an iPhone? Do you support anti-gay bigotry because you eat a fried chicken sandwich?

The answer to all of these questions is 'yes'. The liberal mistake is thinking that personally not buying these products is political resistance.

No,

there are so many companies that you buy stuff from that have evil stances but you probably don't know about it.

do you drink Nestlé bottled water? do you drink Nespresso coffee? well, you support an evil company that plunders publicly owner water to sell for private profit. NEstlé CEO said that Water should be privatized and sold as a commodity

if you buy Papa John's Pizza, you a supporting a guy who hates Obamcare

Nepenthe

I mean, you're giving money to a corporation that is open about donating said money to anti-gay causes.

So yes, you're supporting it every time you eat there, even if you don't agree with their stance.

I would say buying it supports it, since you're directly funding it, but eating it? Nah. Like, if someone hands me a Chik-fil-a sandwich that's already been paid for, the bigotry has already been supported, so I might as well enjoy the sandwich

Yes probably, but then again, every single thing you buy from a corporation nowadays probably is produced by the extortion of some workers somewhere. So I've given up trying to be very moral about it, but I would also consider not supporting a corporation like that.

It's up to you in my opinion.

Edit: yeah, if you're doing so do it explicitly to not support anti-LGBT causes. Ethical consumption is an illusion in today's capitalism.

Knowingly or not, I'm sure most of my money is going to horrible people using their wealth in ways I would never support. Probably supporting a lot of their horrible employees in their horrible endeavors also.

These are the things I tell myself because I really like those chicken nuggets.

daveo42

Banned
No. If you didn't buy stuff from companies you thought had questionable ideologies then you should just live in the woods and off the grid with your own handmade gear. If it really bothers you that much, maybe try and eat there less.

Viewt

It doesn't mean you support it, but it means you want a chicken sandwich more than you care about putting a dollar into a bigot's pocket.

It is what it is. I don't get mad at anyone wanting Chick-Fil-A - that's their business, but I personally haven't eaten there in years.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
If you feel you cannot buy any products from companies who engage in any practices you disagree with, you're either going to be a hypocrite or you're going to have to make almost everything yourself.

The third option is to recognize the world is complicated and sometimes you just want a fucking chicken sandwich and that act isn't political in nature.

You can choose whichever you want. Personally I can live with half a cent I paid for a meal going to a cause I disagree with when I'm donating hundreds of times that amount of money monthly to causes I do support.

Maybe. It's a chain so eventually the money ends up at the top, but it's several steps removed. Personally I would never call someone a bigot because they ate there, but I think it's still good to be conscious of that stuff. The fact that you think about it at all is a good thing.

Objectively speaking, I don't know how anyone can say it's not. You are literally supporting them financially even if you don't agree with them philosophically. But your money is going towards things you disagree with all the time and you probably will never know about it. So it's just a question of it you can justify it ethically.

I wouldn't eat there willingly, but my family doesn't feel as strongly about these things as I do, so sometimes it happens.

NewFresh

No,

there are so many companies that you buy stuff from that have evil stances.

do you drink Nestlé bottled water? do you drink Nespresso coffee? well, you support an evil company that plunders publicly owner water to sell for private profit

I don't see why avoiding one but not the other invalidates the reason for avoiding the first.

A little less support for evil is not a bad thing.

Ahgod

Neo Member
Everyone* who spends money in our economy is contributing to something morally and ethically repugnant. The only way to assuage that is to vote with your dollar for, at the very least, companies who are not visibly acting against your own standards for ethical behavior. To do anything else is knowingly hypocritical and while we all make tons of hypocritical decisions everyday, why make fast food of all things one of them?

I would say buying it supports it, since you're directly funding it, but eating it? Nah. Like, if someone hands me a Chik-fil-a sandwich that's already been paid for, the bigotry has already been supported, so I might as well enjoy the sandwich
Lmao

"if you happen to go in and happen to buy me a sandwich I wouldn't in theory say no"

Just eat there if you enjoy it.

jph139

Yes, in a literal sense. It's impossible to quantify, but - like, imagine that for each sandwich you buy, you're donating a penny to anti-gay causes.

Is that a big deal? Does it make you a bad person? I don't think so. But that's your call to make.

I'd eat there if there were any nearby - the pleasure givdn vs. the pain caused is a good enough ratio for me.

Dan-o

I like their spicy southwest salad. I'm not sure my $5 or $6 is having an impact on their shitty policies, but it might. Damn. I don't know.

I guess my original response holds strong for me.

Top Bottom